starting strength gym
Page 535 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 3543548552553353453553653754558563510351535 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    From the early pages (march 10) of this thread about the 2010 Pandemic faked by the WHO & CDC:

And now this 2010 Forbes article calling out that Faked Pandemic:
    Why The WHO Faked A Pandemic

Soon, this article will go the way of Christopher Columbus statues. We have to learn from our history rather than destroy it.
    What's happened is the equivalent of yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater with the intent of causing a panic. I know it won't ever happen, but the editors and reporters at these news stations really need to see jail time for what they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    Big, important events taking place at this very moment that will determine the near and middle term future of conservative politics, boys. Let's pay a little attention, shall we?

With Trump’s defeat a mere eventuality at this point, the vanquished right—that is, the “old school” GOP politicians in the mold of Willard Romney and Jeb Bush—appear to be making an attempt to reassert their authority over the soul of the conservative movement.

Submitted for your consideration: a keyed-up, pissed off Sean Michael Hannity giving “populist” ideologue Tucker Carlson an earful for daring to criticize the patron saint of American Capitalism, Jeff Bezos. (Type "Carlson Hannity Handoff) to youtube if you'd like to see the clip.) I think the significance of this change is being REALLY underlooked by the mainstream media. Without being too dramatic, I think this exchange may be remembered as the 21st century GOP's Fort Sumter moment.

Let’s start with the obvious: Carlson’s take would have been jaw-droppingly out of place on Fox News a mere 5 years ago. Heck… it probably would have been out of place on NBC News 5 years ago. If you transcribed these remarks on Bezos and attributed them to AOC or Bernie Sanders, the audience would have to be paying damn close attention to notice. If you told Fox news’ board of directors in 2015 that their network would broadcast this rant, they would have laughed hard enough to break their ribs. Now the guy who writes this shit is their most popular host, has their best time slot, and—for the moment, at least—seems to be the face of the conservative movement in 2020. To say that this represents a dramatic, unexpected shift is a hilarious understatement.

How did we get here so quickly? More importantly, is this really where we’re going to stay?

When Trump seized control of the Republican party on a vaguely right-populist platform in 2016, Fox News’ entire content strategy went out the window almost literally over night. How would the mouthpiece of corporate wealth defend a president who had won the support and admiration of the Republican base by criticizing the trade deals and military conflicts that had so thoroughly enriched their primary constituency (the billionaire/investor class)? What if Trump actually governs the way so many disaffected flyover country voters believe he will—by challenging elite power and going after the crooked banks/corporations? What if he refuses to pursue the assault on all existing forms of wealth redistribution that Republican donors have come to expect from their politicians? In essence, a big, scary question was looming: What will Fox News do if Trump forces it to choose between supporting a Republican President and supporting Republican policies?

As we all know, the scenario played out in a decidedly less interesting way.

Now, in 2020, Trump has

1) Completely abandoned his populist ambitions apart from backing out of one measly trade deal
    2) Abandoned his “anti-elite” platform in favor of the one championed by HRC, Willard, Jeb Bush, or other Wall Street politicians, as evidenced by his support for historic corporate tax cuts via the 2017 tax bill (Remember how eager Pelosi and Schumer were to help him get that crap passed? And why wouldn’t they be!? They may as well have wrote that damn bill!)
    3) Continued to ably prosecute the GOP’s war on the working class by making it easier for his allies at the state level to cut funding for Medicaid. Before the pandemic, he was even beginning to signal that he was willing to take swings at SS and medicare. Joe Biden, Ted Cruz, and all of the other Wall Street politicians in both parties who have advocated for this for years would have been proud.
    4) Generally failed as a leader during the “pandemic” in a profound, public way that transcends class lines and will see him lose by a comfortable margin to a candidate that ought to have been very, very beatable.

For that brief, glorious moment in 2016, Hannity and his team were silenced—repudiated by the moment. The world watched, spellbound, for an answer to perhaps one of the most important questions in our nation’s history: Is Donald Trump the real deal?

Now that we have an answer, the GOP can wipe the sweat off of its brow, heave a sigh of relief, and set about the work of eradicating the strain of populism that managed to gain a foothold in their party and their broadcast networks over the course of Trump. Now that Trump has more-or-less officially been defeated, Hannity’s attack on Carlson will be the first of many instances of the Wall Street Right seeking to clean up whatever traces remain of the authentic, genuine revolution that Trump the Idea so ably sparked... and that Trump the Man so miserably failed. With no sitting president to protect them, the Trump-adjacent, elite-skeptical pundits that have thus far avoided attacks from the right on the basis of the fact that they were affiliated with a Republican president are about to be set upon by the snarling attack dogs of pre-2016 GOP. Put another way, Post-Trump pro-Trumpers are starting to look like 8-year-olds who has been mouthing off to the babysitter all weekend. It was a fun little moment you got to have….

…but if people with Hannity’s values are going to resume talking to people with Tucker values like that on Red State Television, then that can only mean one thing: Daddy’s home.

And his paddle hand is damn well rested.

What do you think?
    I think it's still very much up in the air. Lots of people held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016. I don't see any of those people voting for a third party candidate or refraining from voting in 2020, much less handing their vote to Biden. If anything I think the Russia hoax, Covid, and the rioting will make people who shyed away from Trump initially give him more support.

There's a very vocal minority who really hates Trump, but that's all the Dems have at this point. Biden is doing nothing to motivate your average Democrat voter. If he and Trump actually have a debate, it's going to be a comedy show. Hate can motivate people, but I think a positive message is what really brings people out to the voting booth, and the Dems just don't have a positive message for people.

Winning elections is more about convincing people to actually show up and vote, and between the media spectacle that's currently going in and Biden doing his hidin', I just don't see the Dems coming out strong in November.

What do you think?
    Superficial. It Is as if you were using an inexpensive sound bite or word smith for freshman app. Something like Grammarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Superficial. It Is as if you were using an inexpensive sound bite or word smith for freshman app. Something like Grammarly.
    Like Hurling on a bunch of estrogen.

Meanwhile, the pressure builds, and people are losing patience: Pedophile’s Decapitated Corpse Found On Judge’s Doorstep After Bail Hearing In Ocala, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
    "Nicholas Laureys" is a state-sponsored||sanctioned||encouraged troll whose presence on this forum is to foment discontent. My guess is that whatever he is trying to say probably makes sense in his native language but misses the mark in engrish.
    Boys and girls, there you have it: support of conservatism in general and American ideals specifically are only possible for *state-sponsored Russian trolls.*

12345, Care to stake out a position on whatever it is I'm fomenting discontent about? Are you wearing a mask right now? How many times have you washed your hands today? Do you send your kids to urban public schools? Or at least tell us who you voted for in '16, if you're not too pussy to divulge that.

I think things have progressed to the point where we need to give China the North Korea/Iran treatment. I don't see how the US can do it without potentially triggering WWIII, but I also don't see how we can keep up relations with a country that is openly hostile to us

…but if people with Hannity’s values are going to resume talking to people with Tucker values like that on Red State Television, then that can only mean one thing: Daddy’s home.

And his paddle hand is damn well rested.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think Trump is reelected in a landslide. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I think it's still very much up in the air. Lots of people held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016. I don't see any of those people voting for a third party candidate or refraining from voting in 2020, much less handing their vote to Biden. If anything I think the Russia hoax, Covid, and the rioting will make people who shyed away from Trump initially give him more support.
    What gives me hope is that Ann Coulter in the past few days has gone from leaning towards a Trump loss to a Trump victory. And she's the leasrt syncophantic supporter of all the pundits out there, probably more honest about him than Tucker is, honestly.

Here's the relevant interview:
    Ann Coulter on The Joyce Kaufman Show July 21st - YouTube (Her answer begins at about 12:26)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Like Hurling on a bunch of estrogen.

Meanwhile, the pressure builds, and people are losing patience: Pedophile’s Decapitated Corpse Found On Judge’s Doorstep After Bail Hearing In Ocala, Florida
    ooops

Pedophile’s Decapitated Corpse Not Found on Judge’s Doorstep After Bail Hearing - Truth or Fiction?

"The same “pedophile’s decapitated corpse found on a judge’s doorstep” story had circulated in myriad forms since at least 2017. Recycling the headline, content, and image is attractive to purveyors of false claims and unreliable content, because readers inevitably share what they see as a story of justifiable violence."

Yeah, times like this cause me to grasp for the slightest glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    all geared up! I think a mandatory service obligation, something like 2 years, minimum (is that even enough time to produce effective servicemen for our military, David, or does it need to be longer, like five years?) would do a hell of a lot of good for our young men and our country! Would've been great for me, my brother, and best friend, at least!
    I mean, how many of us can honestly say our late teens and early twenties were spent harmoniously and productively, whether we attended college or not?
    I wonder what would happen if the draft was reinstated with no college deferment. A large exodus ?
    I used to think so, but now am against a draft. As is the total body of military leadership. The forging, psychologically and physically, can do quite a bit for a young man or woman willing to subject themselves to it, but even the Marines can only fix so much your parents screwed up. They absolutely can't get rid of bitterness and resentment. Sometimes I look back on my teenage and younger years in awe of how much stupid could fit in one kid in spite of whatever talent. The idea of sending everyone to Canada with a half-executed draft order might be promising, though...

It's good you're preparing, but weapons and small unit tactics, while important, are such a small part of anything war. Logistics and planning are absolutely key. Don't neglect to stock up on spare parts, food, batteries, useful books, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    You wrote that things are not as bad as everyone thinks they are, in part because you've faced actual death, and that's a lot worse than any liberties our gubmint can take away.

Someone who more or less agrees wth you, Mark Hurling, says our country has been through things as bad as what's going on now, so this ain't so bad, in context - we'll get through it.

You (and another poster much earlier -- Mark Hurling again, I think??) said there are plenty of safe, sane places in America to reside in, where your neighbors agree with and will protect you (I proposed that this could be called White Flight 2, though that poster disagreed with my description of his proposed solution).

I mentioned DISBELIEF that you could have children and still feel this way about everything that's going on.
    There is a deep, deep humbling you can experience in war and combat theaters. The names on my arm are some of the most outstanding men and Marines I've ever known or read about. You can be the top 1% of Tier 1 operators in the world, and a stray bullet will still turn your head into a canoe. There ARE still plenty of safe and sane places left. The larger cities, especially in Democrat states, that were loci of Postmodernist/Progressive/Marxist doctrine, policy and laws are the ones bearing the brunt of the ghettos and violence their ideology has manifested. Some small incursions into the rest of the US have happened, but not on any significant scale. Mainstream and social media are dramatically warping perceptions of reality.

Put these two things together. We're not THAT close to collapse, but we were never that far away, either. And each individual, while the ultimate sovereign authority in how they decide to act, is singularly incapable of stopping any of this. That's why I choose to spend my time preparing as much as I can, and building relationships with family, neighbors and broader communities. It will be necessary, and even then -- some problems in life might still be bigger than all of us.

I'm going to live my life as fully as possible, and I'm going to die like the last viking holding the bridge if it becomes necessary. I'm under no illusions that such a death with guarantee a future for anyone (including my own children). If we get our shit together, though, it likely won't be.

OK, so forget the Ostrich metaphor - you just want to kick the can down the road, cuz it ain't that bad a can, anyway.
    I am not, and it might be bad, but it's not the worst it could possible be.

But, then why spend all this time debating Cvid-19 Factors We Should Consider, if it all ain't that bad and will all blow over eventually, and there are plenty of sane places left in America where the Covid madness won't affect us?
    The discussion here, and the broader situation, have evolved over months. They will continue to evolve. So again: pay attention. You're misrepresenting what I said.

Your position sounds untenable which is why I asked you to demonstrate how things are not as bad as they seem, and for you and Mark Hurling to demonstrate how things stayed the same or got only tolerably worse since, let's say, the 70's, with your Kick the Can strategy (or whatever the phuck; call it keep your head down, move forward, and ignore all the madness). Or, hell, how White Flight worked in the past and will be a successful strategy again.

Please, if you can support your position (I even asked questions to guide your thought process), I'd be happy to join your Kick the Can Party!

Cuz it sounds a lot like you're prposing 1990s Part Deux with a Fat, Happy economy where everyone makes blooper videos for America's Funniest Home Videos while ignoring the incremental social and policy victories that the Left keeps making.

That's a cop out and unsustainable, if not for you than for your children's futures, at least.

[Rush Hour] "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?" - YouTube

Are we on the same page now, David? I really want to understand your position!
    Again, it's hard to speak to something that's a misrepresentation of my position. I'm very tired of what I see to be defeatist, histrionic pussies wailing and gnashing their teeth. Maybe that's you, and maybe it isn't. Even with the economic downfall we've experienced, there's a clear path forward. Even with the erosion of rights and leadership, there's a key election coming up. If things collapse anyway, then again -- you'd best have prepared yourself.

Now isn't the time to give up. Take the situation for exactly what it is, and push onward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    The reason some here are proclaiming the end of American here is they lack information.....information that you have.
    I think that might be a bit of a stretch in both directions. The first massive, disappointing realization you have upon gaining such access is 99% monotony and paperwork, and somehow less than 1% remotely interesting knowledge.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I think things have progressed to the point where we need to give China the North Korea/Iran treatment. I don't see how the US can do it without potentially triggering WWIII, but I also don't see how we can keep up relations with a country that is openly hostile to us
    "The Chinese want to buy up our West End theatre" should be re-worded, "our government won't prevent the Chinese from buying up our West End theatre".

This isn't the 19th century anymore. The West has massive investments in China. This is the principle reason there won't be a war with China. And that's why there can't be an embargo on Chinese manufactured goods. Many of those goods are produced for Western companies whose production facilities are located in China. What did the US do to prevent it's companies from outsourcing decades back? It encouraged them. That's what caused China's rise. Many stated not only at the time, but loooong before that (as early as the 1930s) that as soon as the Chinese got a hold of Western-made production technology, their ability to satisfy markets would far outstrip that of the West in a very short time, simply because of the giant resource of manpower the Chinese possess. But, corporate greed, the desire for profit over national wellbeing, won the day. And now a massive amount of the goods you buy are poor quality 'made in China'/'made in PRC' products.

Chinese power is a Western creation. Just as in the Soviet Union, Chinese industrial and manufacturing might originated in the West. They gained Western investments, western technology and western support. The Chinese were a borderline Third World nation until the British Empire convinced them to accept Western investment.