starting strength gym
Page 536 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 3643648652653453553653753854658663610361536 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,360 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    What's happened is the equivalent of yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater with the intent of causing a panic. I know it won't ever happen, but the editors and reporters at these news stations really need to see jail time for what they've done.

I think it's still very much up in the air. Lots of people held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016. I don't see any of those people voting for a third party candidate or refraining from voting in 2020, much less handing their vote to Biden. If anything I think the Russia hoax, Covid, and the rioting will make people who shyed away from Trump initially give him more support.

There's a very vocal minority who really hates Trump, but that's all the Dems have at this point. Biden is doing nothing to motivate your average Democrat voter. If he and Trump actually have a debate, it's going to be a comedy show. Hate can motivate people, but I think a positive message is what really brings people out to the voting booth, and the Dems just don't have a positive message for people.

Winning elections is more about convincing people to actually show up and vote, and between the media spectacle that's currently going in and Biden doing his hidin', I just don't see the Dems coming out strong in November.
    I'm puzzled by some of these assertions. How could COVID help trump? He let the neoliberals ban work and didn't salve the wound with a monthly stimulus check. Lots of the corporate dems criticisms of the way he has handled the pandemic are simply ridiculous, which you guys have done a pretty good job of noticing, but those two failures are still going to shine through in the eyes of "swing" voters.

I agree with the idea that people who had to hold their nose to vote for Trump in 2016 probably won't change their minds. Anybody who could do that is committed to the GOP on a level deeper than policy.

It's the segment of the population that voted ENTHUSIASTICALLY in 2016 that Repubs ought to be worried about--the working folks, disaffected factory workers, et cetera. Lot's of these people had never even voted before. How could anyone who honestly believed in the promise of Trump's 2016 run motivate themselves to get back in the booth after the way the Wall Street coalition has had their way with him? I'm just not seeing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Like Hurling on a bunch of estrogen.

[/url]
    Aw, but don't you think Hurling's posts are rather well-written compared with a lot of posters here? I mean, sure, the content is deranged, but it's presented artfully from what I've seen...

I watched Vice News last night (a show don't agree with much), they had a segment on the Wall of Moms in Portland Oregon. Sure seems the country has fine to pot.

Facebook, Google/YouTube, Twitter Censor Viral Video of Doctors' Capitol Hill Coronavirus Press Conference

Not sure if this has been posted yet today. Some doctors held a press conference basically telling everyone to calm down. Youtube, FB, et al censored the video and took it down for spreading "misinformation", but not before 17 million people were able to view it .

The social media companies are getting very malicious with this thing. I don't think of myself as a conspiracy theorist, but it's pretty obvious that some very poweful people want the hysterics to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I used to think so, but now am against a draft. As is the total body of military leadership.
    Because they know the majority of draft-eligible people in this country will be useless to the military. Between mental illness, personality disorders, and an abysmal lack of physical fitness of any sort, most will be more liability than asset in the field. Basic training won't turn that around enough.

Not to actual Scotsmen.
    Everyone knows the term "Scotsmen" is a social construct! Scotsmen are not real and they never have been!

But, you must still be derided as an anti-Sotsmenist!

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I think things have progressed to the point where we need to give China the North Korea/Iran treatment. I don't see how the US can do it without potentially triggering WWIII, but I also don't see how we can keep up relations with a country that is openly hostile to us
    China is not as stable as the CCP portrays in its propaganda. If unfair trade and theft is ended, China's economy will collapse and there is a high chance the people will depose the communist Xi to instate something new. Confucian ideals are very popular with the younger generations in China.

1000 adults were asked in each of these countries: How many people in your country have died of Covid? In the US, the mean answer was 225x more than the actual number of deaths.

Covid-19 Opinion Tracker
    - go to the last page to see the graph.

Think about that again: US public opinion is that 225x more people have died from covid than actually have.

If a small gang of muggers started operating in your neighborhood and demanding the wallet/purse of 1 out of every 250 people at knifepoint, it would be a serious issue of great concern, and would likely yield a concerted response. However the level of concern and response would be totally different than if a large gang of hardened murders moved in and starting randomly shooting 1 out of every 10 people.

The level of concern and response in the second scenario would rightly be an order of magnitude (or three) more than the first. Yet what has played out has been that something like the first scenario is what is actually happening, yet a whole a bunch of people have been convinced we're in the second - again, the average American thinks it's TWO HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE TIMES worse than it actually is - and the public has thus accepted a draconian response that would only *arguably* be appropriate if the scenario was as dire as the second.

A lot of us have been disappointed in how easily people, and Americans, have rolled over to unprecedented infringements on our rights. I have been thinking for months that something like this is probably the reason why, but this survey really shows it: the media coverage and govt officials' pronouncements that shape public opinion have scared people into thinking this thing - while bad - is FAR worse than it actually is, and skewing the level of rights infringements people are thus willing to accept as a consequence of that fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    It's the segment of the population that voted ENTHUSIASTICALLY in 2016 that Repubs ought to be worried about--the working folks, disaffected factory workers, et cetera. Lot's of these people had never even voted before. How could anyone who honestly believed in the promise of Trump's 2016 run motivate themselves to get back in the booth after the way the Wall Street coalition has had their way with him? I'm just not seeing it...
    You think that the right-wing populists that voted for Trump enthusiastically in 2016 are going to vote for a corrupt doddering senile fool and his Marxist running mate in 2020 because Trump wasn't right-wing enough? Is this seriously your position?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    A lot of us have been disappointed in how easily people, and Americans, have rolled over to unprecedented infringements on our rights. I have been thinking for months that something like this is probably the reason why, but this survey really shows it: the media coverage and govt officials' pronouncements that shape public opinion have scared people into thinking this thing - while bad - is FAR worse than it actually is, and skewing the level of rights infringements people are thus willing to accept as a consequence of that fear.
    This is the bottom line: The vast majority of the population of the earth is innumerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    What gives me hope is that Ann Coulter in the past few days has gone from leaning towards a Trump loss to a Trump victory. And she's the leasrt syncophantic supporter of all the pundits out there, probably more honest about him than Tucker is, honestly.

Here's the relevant interview:
    Ann Coulter on The Joyce Kaufman Show July 21st - YouTube (Her answer begins at about 12:26)
    Interesting listen, thanks.

Coulter is an interesting figure for these times. She was one of the first of the old guard conservative pundits to recognize that Trump was the real deal, and also the one of the first to realize that the train was off the tracks.

Even before the whole Trump phenomenon, however, she was always a very culture-focused ideologue. While the mission of most conservative pundits during the Obama era seemed to be “We must protect and uphold American Capitalism at all costs; secondarily, we will defend and promote white culture/identity insofar as it does not interfere with our primary goal”, her message always sounded more like “We must protect and uphold white culture/identity at all costs; secondarily, we will defend and promote American Capitalism insofar as it does not interfere with our primary goal.” Tucker is the main propagator of that second message at this point, and even in her most woke moments she never took it quite as far as he has, but she’s definitely not the worst of the Fox News set, I agree.

That said, I can’t help but feel like the reasons she turned on Trump in 2017 are going to be the same reasons his base leave him hung out to dry in November.

I think this tweet of hers from a few weeks ago basically sums up the non-college white population’s feelings in this moment:

“I will never apologize for supporting the issues that candidate Trump advocated, but I am deeply sorry for thinking that this shallow and broken man would show even some remote fealty to the promises that got him elected.”

Generally, I just think a lot of you wealthier folks that like Trump because you hate the people who are tearing down statues are overlooking the fact that he simply has not made life better for the former Obama voters and the groups without voting history that flipped his way in 2016. Coulter’s anger and their anger are of a piece.

link: https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...83402876682240

starting strength coach development program
    You think that the right-wing populists that voted for Trump enthusiastically in 2016 are going to vote for a corrupt doddering senile fool and his Marxist running mate in 2020 because Trump wasn't right-wing enough? Is this seriously your position?
    I said that they would be unable to motivate themselves to get back in the booth, which means they will not be voting for anyone. Would you consider turning down the cuddliness, maybe just half a notch?