starting strength gym
Page 558 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 5845850854855655755855956056860865810581558 ... LastLast
Results 5,571 to 5,580 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would we spend the time and resources necessary to eradicate a virus that only kills 0.003% or so of a population?
    because we can I guess. its what we do, as humans.

googling aids, it only killed 41,000/year in the USA at its peak; its only 15-17K/yr now.

never could figure out a vaccine; spent billions i'm sure.

many jobs; much profit.

sure, we came up with some pretty-good-to-so-so "treatments".

Another HIV vaccine strategy fails in large-scale study | Science | AAAS

(Feb.2020 article)The efficacy study, which began in October 2016, is known as HVTN 702. It enrolled 5407 sexually active, HIV-uninfected men and women between 18 and 35 years of age at 14 sites across the country. Researchers randomly assigned half of the participants to receive a pair of HIV vaccines used in a one-two punch called a prime boost, whereas the other half received placebo shots. The trial was supposed to last until July 2022. But on 23 January, an independent monitoring board that takes scheduled, sneak peaks at the data to evaluate safety and efficacy, informed Gray and the other leaders of the study that it was “futile” to continue. There were 129 infections in the vaccinated group and 123 in those who received the placebo. “I was catatonic,” Gray says.

No evidence exists that the vaccine caused harm, as happened in a different large HIV vaccine study that was abruptly halted in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Point take, Steve.

Since you are new, I'll go ahead and tell you: nobody here buys into my worldview...yet ;-)

I believe there is a relatively small group of people running these school plays. So, when I say "point a military"...in my worldview, it is primarily military intelligence...setting up a legal take-down of "the beast".

Example: December, 2017 Executive Order Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption

When we see the world's media marching in lockstep, it tells me a small group controls it all...and thus controls the minds of the people worldwide. And that's just one of many mechanisms of control "the beast" has, in my worldview. Blackmail & money are the other major mechanisms.

We can't move forward until that control is dismantled and disclosed to the people. I pray that is happening right now. The artificial hatred programmed for President Trump tells me he is the first President since Kennedy to go after "the beast", and he's not afraid of "it".

Again, the consensus here is more grounded in a traditional worldview. Perhaps that is starting to change as the absurdity of the false reality is becoming more apparent. Thanks for commenting.

Kitsuma,
    Quick first note: I don't post a lot, but I've been following this thread, as the virus "narrative" affects all of us, in one form or another.
    Quietly, I think more than a few people buy into your worldview. They don't come out and say so, or if they do, they are censored by the MSM. How many? Hundreds? 17,000? 17,000,000? It's hard to say. I agree that The World Is Not How You View It. (You meaning the plural form of You, not saying you/Kitsuma specifically.)

This is definitely a worldwide series of events, not limited to the U.S. The fact that Australia is essentially on Jail-From-Home shows that this bullshit is worldwide.

Growing number of Aussies believe police should be able to fine COVID-19 conspiracy theorists

Fine "conspiracy theorists." Thought police. Orwellian horseshit.

Why would we spend the time and resources necessary to eradicate a virus that only kills 0.003% or so of a population?
    #OldPeopleWithVeryShortLifeExpectanciesLivesMatter

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    In the US, we are now closing in on 0.05% of the population dead from COVID. It’s hard to know what percentage of the population has been exposed so far. About 1.5% of the population has had a positive test. I think the fatality rate of COVID infection will turn out to be 0.5- 1%, maybe a little less as we continue to figure out how to treat it. Right now in the US, the fatality rate of known COVID cases is about 3%. I think there are a lot more asymptomatic “cases” out there, so this rate will come down as the dust settles.

So if half the US population gets it, and 0.5-1% of those infected do die, we should expect a death toll of about 800k-1.6mil over the next year or however long it takes for the virus to reach half the population.

That’s worth some prevention/containment/eradication effort, no?
    No, it's not, because those numbers will not occur, the virus kills people who are already dying anyway, and a bad flu season kills more that this has. And especially NO if the prevention/containment/eradication effort looks like it does now. You realize that NYC is now basically a large homeless shelter (not that I really give a fuck) and that there are serious estimates that 40% of the small businesses closed by this hoax will never ever reopen? You're a good guy, sully, but you really REALLY need to stop doctoring for a couple of days and look at the Bigger Picture here.

And meanwhile, somebody started a real no-shit war in the Middle East yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Arianirani/statu...96078384418821

https://twitter.com/Maureen_Been/sta...967050241?s=20

Fulcrum will let us know if this is bullshit.

And his insight is profound
    My favorite part of that article:

Brilliant said that if about 10% of U.S. residents have been infected so far, there's a long road ahead until the population reaches herd immunity and new transmissions burn out. By his estimate, there are "300 million more customers for this disease who have not bought it yet."
    Per the US Census:

US Population Estimate as of July 1, 2019: 328,239,523
    So, overestimate to be conservative / terrifying, but pick an upper limit so that anything lower than that estimate will just be "good news". And will of course, be due to the social distancing, masks, handwashing, and limited indoor crowding, per the Doctor's orders.

Oh, and the yellow cards we will all have to show at the airport. And the mandatory tests we will all take before going into any indoor place, apparently.

He must be right. After all, he is Doctor Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Wonder if the tone of the media coverage changes if Biden gets elected?
    Of course it will. Just like it did after Daddy Bush was succeeded by Lord Clinton and Obama the One replaced Bush the Younger. It always changes tone when one of their dem co-conspirators is in the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    But they may also simply be trying to make a living off of hating him.
    Huh. Now THAT seems to me to be a brilliant observation. I'm chagrined such a thing never occurred to me.

In the US, we are now closing in on 0.05% of the population dead from COVID. It’s hard to know what percentage of the population has been exposed so far. About 1.5% of the population has had a positive test. I think the fatality rate of COVID infection will turn out to be 0.5- 1%, maybe a little less as we continue to figure out how to treat it. Right now in the US, the fatality rate of known COVID cases is about 3%. I think there are a lot more asymptomatic “cases” out there, so this rate will come down as the dust settles.

So if half the US population gets it, and 0.5-1% of those infected do die, we should expect a death toll of about 800k-1.6mil over the next year or however long it takes for the virus to reach half the population.

That’s worth some prevention/containment/eradication effort, no?
    At the current published test/infection rates, the US will be infected in 2057.
    2.5 million people die every year.
    How did the mis-marked covid deaths decrease from average yearly mortalities?
    I estimate based on state figures for co-morbidity approximately 15-20% of people that died from covid didn't have comorbidity.... i.e 15-20% of people purely died from Covid19
    If 2.5 million people die every year, and 154,000 people have died in 6 months (300K a year) and of that 300K only 15% died of covid-19 without comorbidity... our yearly number is 45K, which is on par our yearly influenza of 55K FastStats - Deaths and Mortality

What do we do for the flu every year? We give a vaccine, treat people, tell sick people to stay home etc... but we don't shut down the world.

The US government and the US Healthcare industry is not in the business of preventing disease.... politicians are in the business of getting elected, doctors are in the business of treating people for profit, hospitals are in the business of making money, the media is in the business of terrifying us for ratings.. a perfect storm if you will.

What we need to do is get the information out there, ask people to be smart based on what we know about the disease, and let everyone figure it out.

Much respect to you Mr. Sully, I do not have your intellect, credentials or experience, but that's my $.02

We need to be cautious, but really we need to get over it and get back to living our lives.

And I think I'll just leave that right here, for now.....

Here's my question on the whole thing. As I mentioned above, I was tested positive and only a week out of quarantine being asymptomatic. So my view is that if I wasn't affected at least this time, I could be carrying the germs and pass off onto someone else who's vulnerable like my 80yo parents or someone at random. So I wear a mask when indoors at the grocery stores out of courtesy of others, but I'm not afraid.

Being Wednesday, it's cashew chicken day at my local Woods Supermarket, so I stopped in for lunch. Everyone wearing masks yet we're still being told to social distance, and there are those who are literally terrified enough they move away from you as you approach. My question here is this - if masks work, why social distance? If social distancing works, why wear masks? Those who are pushing all this BS are contradicting themselves, and those who question this lack of logic are silenced and even fired if they're a doctor. And of course the news media buries it or ignores it because they're pushing the nonsense and too stupid to understand the truth themselves. We're being made to be afraid of each other, our elders, our protectors, and everything good.

If we're all wearing masks, why social distance?
    If we're all keeping our distance out of fear of each other, why wear masks?
    I've yet to hear a reasonable or non-BS non-contradictory explanation for these questions.

No, it's not, because those numbers will not occur, the virus kills people who are already dying anyway, and a bad flu season kills more that this has.
    Source for the data indicating this?

I don’t disagree with the large economic cost of the mitigation efforts, but your statement seems like a tricky counterfactual.

starting strength coach development program
    In the US, we are now closing in on 0.05% of the population dead from COVID....
    Roger that; however, COVID deaths should be adjusted...

1) How many deaths occurred in nursing homes? 40%? Whatever the number, how many could have been avoided? As Knut Wittkowski stated, you quarantine the sick and at-risk; don't quarantine the healthy.

2) Counting those who died with COVID as having died of COVID.

3) How many pediatric deaths are there? Open the goddam schools.

4) Should we also adjust for obesity and T2 diabetes? We're a lot fatter now than 40 yrs ago during the Hong Kong flu 1968/1969, where about the same percentage (0.05%) died, and we did not shut down the country. Not even for Woodstock.