starting strength gym
Page 619 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 11951956960961761861962062162966971911191619 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,190 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Just a casual poll here but did any gym owner (Rip included) have a member die with COVID19 since February/March?
    I think it was in April, Rip said something to the effect of, “Let’s see the squat numbers of those who died.” Of course, he was accused of saying that we could squat our way out of a pandemic and the point was lost almost immediately by the back and forth that ensued.

However, I have sincerely been wondering about this idea for months. I actually ponder the question more than I probably should. I look at the photos of people who have died and I wonder, “What could they squat?” It’s a morbidly strange question, but I can’t put it away.

I’ve seen in the news where some cyclists have died. I know a few runners have had their stories told. A “very healthy” male nurse who is/was a bodybuilder was shown on TV after all the weight he lost in the hospital. In the before picture, the guy was on so much juice I thought his nipples were going to squirt milk. GOMAD Anyone?

I have not seen or heard of a powerlifter, strongman, Strength lifter, or someone who takes the idea of being physically strong seriously, register a mild case. I haven’t heard it on YouTube, no YAHOO! articles saying “This guy deadlifted 700 pounds two weeks before he died of COVID-19.” Not even a story about “This powerlifter said COVID-19 almost killed him.” I simply haven’t seen it yet.

Has anyone else observed differently?

My boss, who’s a sort of reasonable lefty, was saying to me yesterday that the CDC numbers thing was “trolls starting shit.” I held my tongue even though of all people in my life I feel he’s probably the one normie I could be relatively open with. It wasn’t entirely clear, but it actually sounded like he was describing the situation completely backwards.

Then he went on about young people and kids getting it, to which I gently stated the fatality rate for people between like 2 and 50 are tiny, fractions of a percent. He sort of shrugged and listened to that, thankfully. This was part of him repeating his concern about “upticks” once things re-open.

I got another approving nod when I mentioned that I’m cautiously skeptical whether people will permit another lockdown in the fall/winter once flu season starts. Then I said I was amazed at how easily people just lied down for all this madness. Another nod.

He’s a business owner and we’ve shrank massively. We both believe we’re in for serious economic peril next year.

It ended with a repeat of the total number of “deaths.”

“That’s a lot.”

I held my tongue again and didn’t argue that we have no idea how much of that is legit. I’m not quick enough to bring up excess mortality, historical incidents, etc. That being said, I think the co-morbidity aspect is probably not that good of an arguing point, all things considered; it’s too emotionally charged and only pisses people off. Dying “with” and dying “from” is a contentious matter. Comparative analogies don’t seem effective.

The absolutely phony death attribution, however, is a real thing. Again, though, how successful is that argument point? “Why would doctors/nurses/saints/heroes just lie???”

Fuck, I just want my life back.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    All fair points. But even if it's ultimately a losing strategy, I still think it'll be tried a few more times before tactics change.
    Yeah, I overlooked the fact that once dems get something in their playbook, they tend to hang on to it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

And I'll ask again: why are the homeless neither dying or quarantined/under house arrest like we are?

Aha! LA and Seattle announce first coronavirus cases among the homeless

To answer your question about the homeless?

An obvious answer to me (but most Americans might not like it)

is your average homeless person and/or Mumbai slum dweller is healthier than average US-American-city-folk (obesity, inflammation, being outside, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by JordanNewell View Post
    Sure, death rates and economic damage correlate well across countries. The best way to protect the economy (more specifically: maintain discretionary consumer spending) is to control the virus. The idea that these goals are in opposition is wrong, and will go down as a classic economic fallacy.
    You are only 180 degree off.

Lock downs, if we want to pretend that they actually save lives, lower supply because there is less production with people staying home. It also creates inefficiencies in the supply chains that are actually functioning at any level, because of the extra "safety" protocols required to produce anything.

The saved lives now maintains the same level of demand, but raises costs because the supply is lower.

So you have less stuff and your dollar is worth less.

Economically speaking. The best thing would be to chug along producing at the same rate and have demand drop with the increase deaths. And considering that it is almost always the people no longer producing much economically that die first and most, you don't lose much production through the deaths.

So doing "nothing" gives you pretty near the same production with less demand. More stuff and a more valuable dollar.

Obviously there are steps that one could take if we had an actual pandemic and if it was actually worth being scared of, but lets just stick with discussing Covid-19 for now.

The aliens bit is good. I'll have to use it. People go apeshit for aliens.

Unmasking Masks – AIER

This group seems to be a good resource, though I am far from fully vetting it:

https://www.nber.org/

Specifically, their by-country analysis of the impact of lockdowns:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27759.pdf

A Supercomputer'''s Covid-19 Analysis Yields a New Way to Understand the Virus | Elemental

“Several, like danazol, stanozolol, and ecallantide, reduce bradykinin production and could potentially stop a deadly bradykinin storm.”

Sounds like now is a good time to get your hands on some Winstrol, boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    My boss, who’s a sort of reasonable lefty, was saying to me yesterday that the CDC numbers thing was “trolls starting shit.” I held my tongue even though of all people in my life I feel he’s probably the one normie I could be relatively open with. It wasn’t entirely clear, but it actually sounded like he was describing the situation completely backwards.

Then he went on about young people and kids getting it, to which I gently stated the fatality rate for people between like 2 and 50 are tiny, fractions of a percent. He sort of shrugged and listened to that, thankfully. This was part of him repeating his concern about “upticks” once things re-open.

I got another approving nod when I mentioned that I’m cautiously skeptical whether people will permit another lockdown in the fall/winter once flu season starts. Then I said I was amazed at how easily people just lied down for all this madness. Another nod.

He’s a business owner and we’ve shrank massively. We both believe we’re in for serious economic peril next year.

It ended with a repeat of the total number of “deaths.”

“That’s a lot.”

I held my tongue again and didn’t argue that we have no idea how much of that is legit. I’m not quick enough to bring up excess mortality, historical incidents, etc. That being said, I think the co-morbidity aspect is probably not that good of an arguing point, all things considered; it’s too emotionally charged and only pisses people off. Dying “with” and dying “from” is a contentious matter. Comparative analogies don’t seem effective.

The absolutely phony death attribution, however, is a real thing. Again, though, how successful is that argument point? “Why would doctors/nurses/saints/heroes just lie???”

Fuck, I just want my life back.
    Ha, yeah. I was talking to a friend here in Seattle who is fully indoctrinated and mentioned revised data from the CDC. Her response? "Trump controls the numbers."

Man, they are total zombies. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Ha, yeah. I was talking to a friend here in Seattle who is fully indoctrinated and mentioned revised data from the CDC. Her response? "Trump controls the numbers."

Man, they are total zombies. Unreal.
    Imagine if Hillary had won and taken all the same actions / inactions and ended up with the same results from COVID. She'd be a hero and "the numbers" would have been the best case scenario or some other BS.