starting strength gym
Page 671 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 17157162166166967067167267368172177111711671 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,710 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    From the quotes above:
    1 in 4 young adults seriously considered suicide in June
    My mind is blown by this statement. If this isn't a national emergency, I don't know what is.

Here's the latest cop shit (or is it citizens resisting arrest shit?) example:

Erik Barath - This happened in Hartford yesterday. This... | Facebook

(Woman's car is on a list as possibly stolen; police want to run her license and registration through the system but she is belligerent and not complying and eventually tries to flee, resulting in her being physically restrained while she miraculously screams at the top of her lungs despite "not being able to breathe")

How many crimes or calls for help went unanswered thanks to the half dozen officers here who had to help handle running a simple license registration check?

And, help me out here, the difference between the unmuzzled girl at the football game and this unhinged lady is what?
    My best guess is that in the former situation the young lady was protesting removal from public property over a citation, not a duly passed law, while the young lady in the latter situation is protesting a simple reasonable suspicion act of checking a driver's license and registration, which has been law and has been done in our country for decades.

Or am I applying a double standard here, as our SSC forum member predicted we would a few posts ago?

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    The job description of a clinician is very different from that of a public health official, and it is not surprising (though disappointing) that a sample of clinicians struggle to calculate a PPV. It’s not something that is of much use when you are taking care of sick people, so even though you learned it in medical school, it falls away with disuse, like many skills.
    I completely disagree. This is as fundamental to the daily work of a doctor as is drug dosing, understanding basic sterilization procedure, knowledge of anatomy or any other core subject they are expected to have basic knowledge of and the ability to use that knowledge in practice.

This is like a doctor prescribing and publicly advocating the use of a medication without understanding what it is or what it does. In that case, would you claim the doctor shouldn't have that knowledge because he is not a pharmacist or a chemist?

Was a Dead Body Found in Breonna Taylor’s Rental Car? Yes | Heavy.com
    This is what they are fighting for.

Remember, Britain, you voted for this! Wait... nobody voted for it, but it is still happening. Who is really in charge?
    The Re-Education Of Britian - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    This is like a doctor prescribing and publicly advocating the use of a medication without understanding what it is or what it does.
    Happens all the time. See "prednisone."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Happens all the time. See "prednisone."
    It all has left me with tremendous faith in authority figures.

Destabilize, incite riots and short the market. Is the man who broke the Bank of Britian at play again?
    In Unprecedented Reversal, Nasdaq Shorts Hit Second Highest Ever | Zero Hedge

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I completely disagree. This is as fundamental to the daily work of a doctor as is drug dosing, understanding basic sterilization procedure, knowledge of anatomy or any other core subject they are expected to have basic knowledge of and the ability to use that knowledge in practice.

This is like a doctor prescribing and publicly advocating the use of a medication without understanding what it is or what it does. In that case, would you claim the doctor shouldn't have that knowledge because he is not a pharmacist or a chemist?
    Well, you are wrong about what most doctors’ daily work entails. Most doctors are not, and shouldn’t be, on TV telling people what is up with covid or health policy.

My point was not that people making policy don’t have to know about things like PPV, it was that public health is a narrow slice of medicine, so finding out that a bunch of clinicians can’t calculate PPV isnt surprising or even worrisome. My comment was in relation to the survey of clinicians linked above.

An example: The PPV of urinalysis for UTI, if I test everyone, is likely to be about 50%. That’s if 1% of the people have a UTI, so this may be high. But in real life I’m not testing everyone, only symptomatic people. Let’s say 75% of the symptomatic people I’m testing have an actual UTI. So the PPV is now about 99%. This test got a lot better when applied to the correct population. So when I order a urinalysis I have no thought of calculating a PPV, nor should I. It simply doesn’t help me in this case. Calculating a PPV isn’t of use to clinicians very often.

So, being a doctor doesn’t necessarily give someone authority to make health policy. But having a medical degree doesn’t disqualify someone either, if they have a public health background.

One other thing to add: while I’m saying that calculating a PPV is not a core skill, there are a group of clinicians who should study up on the concept of PPV, even if they can’t calculate it: the overtesters. I see this mostly in private practice: doctors and NPs who use lots of tests in a futile attempt to reduce the uncertainty inherent in clinical decision-making. Ironically, many patients feel that doctors who do lots of tests are paying close attention and giving them higher-quality care. The opposite is mostly true. Unfortunately, I don’t think that a PPV refresher will solve their problem.

I don't know who this fucking guy is, but I'm buying the beer: https://twitter.com/jon_raso/status/1309966415944970241

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's true of doctors every day.

And here's today's really good summary: https://twitter.com/NickHudsonCT/sta...71981792886784

Yesterday’s interview of Harvard & Standford professors of medicine Martin Kulldorf, Jay Battacharya, M Levitt is the sanest appraisal of the C-19 situation I've heard. I know many won’t have 2 hours to take it all in, so here’s a summary.

9/24/20 Governor Ron DeSantis Holds Virtual Roundtable with Leading Public Health Experts - YouTube

Just in case somebody at Twitter doesn't like this:

Thanks to Nick Hudson for this summary.

Yes, thanks. This is very helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    This is what is known as "concise":

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/wp-c...ENSAMERICA.jpg