starting strength gym
Page 713 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 21361366370371171271371471572376381312131713 ... LastLast
Results 7,121 to 7,130 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Abraham View Post
    Democrats as in the leadership of the party supports these proposals? You're high on your own supply.

I see why you guys have formed such an effective echo chamber. You make those who disagree with you jump through so many hoops before you consider what they have to say that they just give up or say it’s not worth writing in the first place. This is why you have such a distorted view of the world view.
    But you neglected to respond to my post. I provided a bunch of primary sources proving that the democrats are communists who hate America. But you conveniently ignored my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I keep wondering this about all the long post zealots that have sprung up worldwide during COVID. It’s pretty bad.
    I'm not bashful about reading, but there's being thorough... and then there's being too dense and typing past your target audience (or copying and pasting). It's like they wield their litany like a shield for their own intellect and a flaming sword to cut down their opposition -- surely, somewhere in the pile, there's stuff we can all agree on... any REASONABLE person. Right?

Tom Woods is excellent in slaying the covid hysteria here. Worth watching in full.

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    The training and talent levels required to work as an EMT are negligibly different than those required to work at Home Depot.
    How do you know this is the case? Wage prices are not the only piece of the puzzle to infer technical demands of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    This is reflected in the fact that the wages are not significantly different (EMTs in my region make 14.50, Home depot makes probably about $12)
    A 21% change ($400/month increase for a 40 hour work week) is not significant to you? Another $400 a month would be a significant change in my life. How much money do you make that $400/month is "not significantly different"?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I wrote one long post because Rip asked me the question of how the entire country would be different I was in charge. That's not a small topic. In contrast to my one long post, a fair number of peoplpe have said the same thing over and over for 712 pages. I'd prefer you put it one long post.
    The problem is that all of your solutions to these "problems" involve the Government. The same government that has done absolutely nothing correctly in the past 8 months. Yet you leftist fools still slobber over the prospect of government control of everything. The rest of us are tired of this childish idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by bendy-legs View Post
    But you neglected to respond to my post. I provided a bunch of primary sources proving that the democrats are communists who hate America. But you conveniently ignored my post.
    That's how they are taught to respond.

From the Fucking Centers for Fucking Disease Control: COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC

Infection Fatality Ratio, Best Current Estimate: 0-19 years: 0.00003, 20-49 years: 0.0002, 50-69 years: 0.005, 70+ years: 0.054

Wages aren't the only reason people choose jobs, despite what economists say. How many people do you know who chose their line of work solely on the basis of pay? Being an EMT is a hell of a lot more interesting than working at Home Depot. And if EMT companies have a tight labor market due to wages, they can raise their wages. A couple years ago there was a lot of bellyaching by business owners about not being able to find employees, and they could have solved their problem by just raising wages. I'm not familiar with EMTs specifically, but that's usually what's behind panic about tight labor markets--owners afraid their profit margins might be a little lower.
    I make a fraction of what I used to, because I wanted to be a professional strength coach, so I know what you mean.
    That said, there are certainly jobs that people want to do, but choose not to because the pay is insufficient. Teaching is a good example.

I agree about the bellyaching business owners. They should have just raised their pay to attract better employees.

What happens when the labor margins go to 0 for the existing number of employees? They fire employees. We already saw this in parts of the country where they raised the minimum wage. That's why restaurant owners fired people in Seattle in 2019. Additionally, some of those restaurants just called it quits and stopped doing business. Is $0/hour better for their employees than what they were making?

And if EMT companies have a tight labor market due to wages, they can raise their wages.
    So let's say they raise their wages. Now, EMTs are paid $22/hour and Home depot employees make $18/hour. And let's say every other market pressed for labor raises their wages. What happens to the purchasing power that you've just improved for minimum wage employees?

Let's note that much higher minimum wages aren't bringing down or even seemingly hampering the economies of other countries. Also, according to the Economic Policy Institute, had the minimum wage kept pace with labor productivity growth since 1968, this year it would be more than $20 per hour, and this is despite the fact that the economy’s capacity to deliver higher wages has doubled in the last 50 years, as measured by labor productivity, or the amount of output produced by workers (Gradually raising the minimum wage to $15 would be good for workers, good for businesses, and good for the economy: Testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Education and Labor | Economic Policy Institute).
    What countries have increased minimum wage with little to no effect on above-minimum wage labor prices?

Yeah, iPhones and Apples computers is a big one. Apple wants to be the only company which can fix Apple products. Car companies and other electronics companies have tried the same thing in the past. Here's an article about Apple: The “right to repair” your computer and iPhone, explained - Vox
    People don't have to buy Apple or John Deere. Being able to fix my own possessions is an important value to me, so I generally don't buy products from companies that act like this.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    From the Fucking Centers for Fucking Disease Control: COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC

Infection Fatality Ratio, Best Current Estimate: 0-19 years: 0.00003, 20-49 years: 0.0002, 50-69 years: 0.005, 70+ years: 0.054
    And we enter further lockdown in England. I can go to a bar, but not with anyone from another household... I guess I'll just have to find some buddies when I get there. Seriously wtf

Quote Originally Posted by ltomo View Post
    I used to hang out with guys like this, so I know the drill. Accusing people of living in echo chamber while he sits in his own is peak gaslighting. Notice also how people (like me) have tried to politely engage him in some of his delusions and he's totally ignored it. He's got a crush on Rip and a fetish for getting yelled at.
    There seem to be many crushes on Rip going on lately.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Tom Woods is excellent in slaying the covid hysteria here. Worth watching in full.

Excellent. Watch it.