starting strength gym
Page 716 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 21661666670671471571671771872676681612161716 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,160 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    ...and not a single fucking thing will happen in response.
    I gather there’s minimal confidence around here that Barr will see it through. Why not? He seems to have the probity. And he plays bagpipes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    How do you know this is the case? Wage prices are not the only piece of the puzzle to infer technical demands of a job.

A 21% change ($400/month increase for a 40 hour work week) is not significant to you? Another $400 a month would be a significant change in my life. How much money do you make that $400/month is "not significantly different"?
    Thanks for the response, Andrew.

I work at the community college that handles EMT licensure in my county, and I know several people who have been licensed/certified through it. It’s a 120 hour cert (about 3 weeks of full-time training), which in my view is not substantially different from the handful of shifts worth of experience required to pull your weight as an hourly worker at Home Depot. When you consider that most jobs that offer health insurance benefits and a decent lower-middle class salary now require a 4-year degree, I think that to say that the training/talent levels required in both jobs are fairly similar.

As to your second point, I’m not saying that $400 is nothing in absolute terms, but I do think it’s pretty much fair to say that there is not a significant difference in relative terms. According to this calculator (Income Percentile Calculator for the United States [2020]), $12 is 14th percentile and $14.50 is 19th. Of course, it’s not literally exactly the same, I’m just saying that anyone who has to survive off these salaries is downtrodden and economically strapped. The EMT is making $2240 a month before taxes; a two-bedroom apartment costs half of that, and health insurance for a family of four chews through the rest without even accounting for food, transportation, emergency expenses et al. I believe that EMT’s do meaningful work, and thus I believe they deserve to make enough money to raise a family, save up and own real estate one day, and just generally live a dignified life free out of outsize material deprivation.

The money a man needs to live ought to be between him and his employer, whether that employer is himself or some type of commercial/public enterprise. This bullshit where we tax Rip, Satch, and Hurling to pay for food and HC for poor people’s kids rather than simply compelling the damn organizations that employ the kids' parents to pay a fair wage is one of the serious problems with the U.S. post Clinton. Which part of this do you not agree with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An amazing thing has happened over the last two days: more concrete evidence (surpassing even the video of him admitting it) has surfaced that the then-Vice President of the United States -- the current democrat candidate for the Presidency -- used his office for the personal enrichment of his family and himself, and the major social media platforms have censored all links to the story in the New York Post, the nation's 4th largest newspaper, detailing the evidence. They have pulled down the President's Press Secretary's Twitter account for linking to the story, and they pulled down the President's campaign account page.

In addition, the FBI has been in possession of the evidence since December 2019 and has remained silent on the matter.

Coupled with the previous administration's efforts to undermine the Trump campaign in 2016 and their efforts to sabotage his administration before he took office, this is without doubt the biggest political scandal in the history of the country. Happening as we type, right now.
    The events of the last three and a half years were not a scandal: they were a coup. A group of people in the government weaponized the alphabet agencies, gaslit the opposition, and tried to remove a lawfully elected president because he didn't have any strings they could pull. I don't think there's a precedent for something like this in America's history. Does Trump get a redo term by default? Do we just remove all standing Democrats from federal office? I think a lot of people are going to have to go to jail or resign before America starts trusting in its government again....

So predictable...

Breaking: Crew member on Biden's campaign charter plane tests positive for covid19

Biden exit stage left?
    Big Mike enter stage right?

Are they really this stupid? Am I the one who's stupid? What's going on?

https://mobile.twitter.com/WHOWPRO/s...71683067777024

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    This bullshit where we tax Rip, Satch, and Hurling to pay for food and HC for poor people’s kids rather than simply compelling the damn organizations that employ the kids' parents to pay a fair wage is one of the serious problems with the U.S. post Clinton. Which part of this do you not agree with?
    The "compelling" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    An amazing thing has happened over the last two days: more concrete evidence (surpassing even the video of him admitting it) has surfaced that the then-Vice President of the United States -- the current democrat candidate for the Presidency -- used his office for the personal enrichment of his family and himself, and the major social media platforms have censored all links to the story in the New York Post, the nation's 4th largest newspaper, detailing the evidence. They have pulled down the President's Press Secretary's Twitter account for linking to the story, and they pulled down the President's campaign account page.

In addition, the FBI has been in possession of the evidence since December 2019 and has remained silent on the matter.

Coupled with the previous administration's efforts to undermine the Trump campaign in 2016 and their efforts to sabotage his administration before he took office, this is without doubt the biggest political scandal in the history of the country. Happening as we type, right now.
    Your country is in a digital civil war. Who needs weapons to take you folk over when your social and news media can skew the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Abraham View Post
    I hope we can be honest about what Donald Trump is. He started a fake university to scam people; he stiffs independent contractors; he’s changed his position on most political issues; he’s almost surely sexually assaulted women; he watches cable news for hours a day; he pretends to be a Christian; he lies about how much money he has; etc. He’s a conman, and when faced with a choice between believing doctors or Trump (or Trump’s supporters), most people will believe doctors. Maybe that’s tragic or infuriating, but y’all have chosen a shitty representative, and I think you’re paying the price for it. 

So my opinion is that you guys may be right on a lot of the facts and your analysis of COVID may be great, but you’ve shot yourselves in the foot because you’re unprincipled and you’ve chosen con-men for representatives.

Most people see this and think “Well, Trump’s also used his office to enrich himself and his family.” (See the article below.) You’re going to blame them, though, for being unprincipled hypocrites. If you want people to stand up for a principle with you, you have to follow it most of the time. I hope I’m reminding you grown men of something and not teaching you about it.

If Trump is a conman and an all around bad guy, then I think you'd have to admit that Obama, Hillary, the Bushes, and dozens of other politicians are just as bad if not worse. Bill Clinton literally had an affair in office. If you used today's standard I'm sure it qualifies as sexual assault. Kavanaugh was practically crucified for his alleged sexual assault, while Biden's own accusations were swept under the rug. Look at what's going in with his son Hunter right now on Twitter. Can you really call Trump a conman in light of what's currently unfolding?

Whatever you think of all that, why has the media thrown Trump through the gauntlet while giving all these other politicians a pass? Was Trump University categorically worse than Obama drone-striking a bunch of goat farmers in the Middle East? Joe Biden pretends he's Catholic, why can't Trump pretend he's Christian.

Assuming the moral high ground while calling people on the board "unprincipled" is just crass hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    ...and not a single fucking thing will happen in response.
    If only 10% of us decide it is time to do something about it, it will be more than enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Abraham View Post
    People like Woods aren’t much better either. At the beginning of his talk, Woods says “If you’re going to evaluate an economic policy, it’s not enough to evaluate the short term consequences for one earmarked group. Any blockhead can do that. If you want to know the real consequences, you look at the long-term consequences on everybody,” (his emphasis). Woods says this as a moral principle to motivate people to oppose government mandates. 

The problem is libertarians and right-wingers don’t use that principle to evaluate most economic policies. I’ve lurked on this board for a while, and I’ve seen Rip several times say that if Americans don’t have enough to eat or can’t find a job with a living wage it’s their own fault and they should have made better choices. If you want people to support you based on a principle, you have to follow that principle a reasonable amount of the time. You can’t trash the principle for 40 years and then claim to be its biggest proponent the one time it’s convenient for you.
    That is almost a verbatim quote from the best-selling book Economics in One Lesson, which goes into great and painstaking detail explaining exactly how this principle applies specifically to economics. It was originally formulated by Frederic Bastiat about 160 years ago in his That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen , and Hazlitt elaborated on it in great detail, with numerous examples, in Economics in One Lesson.

Patrick is a midwit mired in the depths of Dunning Kruger, so there'll be no convincing him. Hopefully everyone else here is enjoying a laugh at his expense, and if that's the case, his presence here won't have been a complete and utter waste.