starting strength gym
Page 720 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 22062067071071871972072172273077082012201720 ... LastLast
Results 7,191 to 7,200 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Maybe she hangs with Kellyanne Conway's daughter.

Obviously repulsive.

I will hazard a guess, like a clay pigeon, that it's a family-time-based issue, in both (and most) cases. This can upend any family. Nature abhors a vacuum. Combine cultural vacuum, highly permeable family structure, and hyperactive social media to get the chaotic attractors on display here.

Brings Mel Gibson to mind as a counter example. In some interview he was asked about his father's anti-semitism (I don't know of it personally). Gibson kept it simple and said "I love my father." Then silence. Period. He was not apologizing for anti-semitism. He kept the conversation from going sideways. He protected the dignity of his father instead of giving The-Correct-On-Demand answer. Need more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    Much depends on the adults. Evident from the article.

Locally, one of our high school teachers set a bad example. A girl was grousing at her mask in class. Teacher’s response was “Grow up, adapt to the new normal, and just wear the mask”. That’s a poisonous attempt to alter the kid’s accurate perception of reality. Some kids of HS age are stubborn enough to reject the teacher’s milquetoast compliance (coulda said something like “I know this sucks, but I’ll lose my job if we get caught without masks”). Others comply with more or less reservation. But the teacher is the forcing function in this equation.

I remind my kids to always treat their masks as an abnormal accessory, and suggest that they always use the surgical ones as a reminder of the abnormality. I get an uneven response to this. One concurs, another shrugs. Though I think the latter (younger) one is starting to see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Abraham View Post
    People on the left say this often. I keep telling you guys that you have a distorted view of the world because you don't read what your opponents say. You learn about your opponents through the filter of right-wing media. Just go straight to the source sometime. Here's an article from one of the left's biggest magazines from Nov 22, 2016. It says a version of what you just said about Trump, Ron Paul, and having an actual vision to fix the economy: Listening to Trump
    You are thinking in weird terms with this your opponents shit. Jesus, I hate to be that guy, but that’s probably because you’re young. YOU WILL OUTGROW IT!

Armed Police Shut Down Liverpool Gym After Owner Refuses COVID Closing Order

Earlier this week in the UK, armed police served a Liverpool gym owner with a £1000 fine after he refused to shut the space, despite strict lockdown rules in the city.

This is shocking. What do you think about this Rip and what would you have done if armed police (whose wages you paid out of your own taxes) came in to your gym and made such demand and issued such a fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    But you and I agree that there is a list of things the government simply must compel big business not to do. We have to compel them not to dump toxic waste in public lakes and not import foreign labor to the detriment of American workers, just to name two. Are you really content with paying more in taxes than you otherwise would just to avoid further restricting the “freedom” of transnational megacorps? Why?

This is the kind of post on this forum that just gets my head spinning. Bush, Romney, McCain, and Ryan haven’t lied half as much as Trump has! (Bush certainly lied about his views on interventionism, but that’s the only exception on this list that I can find.)

Romney, Ryan and McCain were completely honest with you about the way they were going to govern: they openly, explicitly acknowledged that they didn’t have a single goddamn item on their policy platform other than “cut taxes on people doing well”. You voted for them anyways, and you got what you deserved: https://anticap.files.wordpress.com/...inequality.jpg
    I would agree Trump is on another level. He is also much more rash about his inaccuracies than those mentioned. However, the names stated above, well.....kinda lied about being conservative. They didn't accomplish 1/3 of what they could have done when they had control of Washington. RINOs were getting heat well before 2016, the election of Trump was the result of angry moderates, all the way to the far-right. For many, no matter how flawed DT is, they see him as their last hope to save this sinking ship. They will accept his personal failures, due to the political, social, and economic failures of former politicians.

Paul Ryan, from conservative wunderkind to House speaker - BBC News
    The Tragedy of Paul Ryan - POLITICO Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Abraham View Post
    People on the left say this often. I keep telling you guys that you have a distorted view of the world because you don't read what your opponents say. You learn about your opponents through the filter of right-wing media. Just go straight to the source sometime. Here's an article from one of the left's biggest magazines from Nov 22, 2016. It says a version of what you just said about Trump, Ron Paul, and having an actual vision to fix the economy: Listening to Trump
    From the article:

My point is not that we should like Trump but rather that the Left must understand why almost sixty million Americans voted for him. The answer seems clear: it was Trump’s ersatz populism, antiwar message, and his ability to, in a Bill Clinton style, “feel” people’s real pain.
    Translation: Trump won because he's a charismatic charalatan who managed to charm a bunch of gullible rubes.

The author accuses Trump of dragging political discourse into the muck, but every time he mentions Trump, he has to make a token accusation of racism/sexism/whateverism against him and his supporters, all while holding Hillary up as some sort of austere, misunderstood sage. He gives token recognition to the effects of things like job out-sourcing, the forever wars, immigration, and the opioid problem, yet fails to acknowledge that the source of these problems is the decades-long establishment that Hillary represented.

Contrary to your opinion, most of us are very well-informed of what the left thinks. I watched an hour of CNN a day at my gym, because that's what they always had in TV. I live in a large metropolitan area, so a lot of my acquaintainces are on the left. I work for people who are vocal Democrars. I've spent more time than I care to admit purusing Reddit and seeing the kind of policies that people on the left would like to see implemented. Have you considered that you might be the one with a distorted view of the world...?

And so everybody knows, I've deleted a couple of long Marxist posts by "Patrick Abraham." He's bothering me about it on email. If Twitter/FB can do it, so can I. If he emails me again, his account will be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And so everybody knows, I've deleted a couple of long Marxist posts by "Patrick Abraham." He's bothering me about it on email. If Twitter/FB can do it, so can I. If he emails me again, his account will be deleted.
    He’ll just make another account. You will soon be playing whack a mole. I say you just let the clone army do its thing, you don’t have much of a chance in stopping it long term.

Did anyone notice they the New Zealand mini dictator lady has just decisively won the elections? The data keeps showing that the higher the state of emergency, the higher the chances that incumbents will get re-elected? So when Trump gets re-elected, is the American media gonna blame themselves for it or the general public? The question is obviously rhetorical. As far as Trump goes, it seems to me that both the American and the global, or at least Western intellectual establishment has been going through the same process of cognitive dissonance as with COVID. They were all so hyped about Obama being the lord savior come back to earth, they can’t just go and admit to themselves that they were all singing praises to the most corrupt and villainous US administration in history. So Trump gets all of their ire. Kinda like people have a hard time admitting to themselves that they have spent half a year freaking out about a relatively mild disease. Fuck me, the dude will get double the flack in his second term, a scapegoat for everyone’s personal failings. It’s so weird, I’m sure he never expected he will spend his final years of saving the world from itself, all the while playing the role of the devil himself.

All hell's going to break loose tonight.

Nick Saban, who tested positive and is the HC of Alabama...the most dominant team in college football....has now tested negative for Covid for three straight days. He **MAY** be eligible to coach on the sidelines tonight in their BIG game vs Georgia. If he can, Saban will be there. (He's by nearly all accounts, the greatest college coach in history.) By all accounts, Saban would practically run over his grandmother to win national titles (not judging him, just stating a fact). So, it wouldn't be surprising AT ALL if he (or the folks at Alabama) would rig a test.

Now, I know many on here may not be interested in football, but if he's on the sideline, Saban/Alabama, and the ESPN (owned by Disney/ABC) response is going to make national (maybe even international) headlines.

Add to that the much less headline grabbing news (so far) that Bobby Bowden was re-admitted to the hospital. Bowden (another college football coaching legend) is 90 years old, had a leg infection (?), and contracted COVID from the hospital. He was 'declared' COVID free just a couple of days ago, but was readmitted late last night. If the worst happens for Coach Bowden the same night Saban is possibly on the sidelines......oh my goodness, it's going to be a shit-show for a couple of days.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    WHO Director calls herd immunity '''scientifically and ethically problematic''' | Fortune(I hope this wasn't posted already and I missed it.)

"Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it. Never in the history of public health has herd immunity been used as a strategy for responding to an outbreak, let alone a pandemic. It’s scientifically and ethically problematic. … In most countries, less than 10% of the population have been infected with the COVID-19 virus. Letting the virus circulate unchecked therefore means allowing unnecessary infections, suffering and death."

I don't like the sound of this.
    I though herd immunity is exactly what was gonna have to happen one way or another. We were just flattening the curve so the hospitals wouldn't be overrun right? (Assuming the best of the company line.) This article makes it sound like they are gearing up for a long term situation. Using terms like unethical and problematic. I feel like they are trying to set up for a two year lockdown situation until they get a vaccine (never mind distribution). And London has tiers now? I mean I sort of suspected they were gonna milk it through the winter because flu season provides a convenient cover but this feels ominous. Stock up on toilet paper.
    Fauci addressed herd immunity similarly is a recent episode of PBS Firingline, as a criticism of the Great Barrington Declaration. His hope, like many others, is a 70-75% effective vaccine by early next year, with "widespread adoption" of it. Sounds like a much weaker response than the /fact/ (not strategy) of herd immunity. The "novel" corona virus is becoming much less novel, which makes it statistically safer for the human population, the "familiarity" to the human system is one of the actions of herd immunity. Seems like the immunity doesn't have to be permanent in an individual but persistent in a population; no talk about that. No talk about the CDC IFR #s, or any other such quantities.

Fauci's concern is not the young etc., but those with comorbidities (obesity, diabetes, copd...), particularly as those confounding factors impact minority populations. Then he starts talking about (paraphrase) "social determining factors" which induce these comorbidities in such populations, and how we as a nation need to address these factors. Not a stretch to hear him implicate white privilege for other people's weight problems. Sounds erudite, but it is not intelligent.

The interview eventually gets around to "wet markets" and the "human animal interface" and how complicated our future is going to be because of that, whatever it is. The poor peasants don't understand the microbial disaster they're bringing in from the wild. From some recent paper of his.

Not one mention of Wuhan and China's deceptions.

The interview was full of softballs (one tiny golfball about the DNC using his image).