starting strength gym
Page 727 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 22762767771772572672772872973777782712271727 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,270 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ...We just got back from the Denver seminar in Lakewood, a suburb of Denver. Mask compliance among the population of the are was essentially 100% in people of all ages. The restaurants were, with few exceptions, not really functioning. A large brewpub with a capacity of maybe 300 people was maxxed out at 50. People were waiting 30 minutes to be seated in an empty restaurant. Truly a Twilight Zone episode. We are willing participants in our own murder.
    For me, it's Star Trek, Episode Charlie X that haunts me

Charlie X punished a girl by removing her face. Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

I just treat the maskers as NPCs (Non-Player Characters).

Shit, Jenni. I’m 2.5 hours away north of you and I had no idea Jackson was this bad. I lived in MS until about 3-4 years ago, and even then had no idea it was like that. If you’re ever in the Memphis area and need to train, you’re welcome to my garage gym.

I’m disgusted by your situation and wish I could help. If I’m ever in Jackson I’ll be more than happy to stop by and patronize your business... I’ll be the guy not wearing a mask.

Wolf is right in his thinking. We do have an inherent bias against skepticism (except for the highly analytical, well-practiced, or insane)

If you are of average intelligence growing up in a jungle somewhere, will you be more likely to survive by blindly taking the advice of village elders about which plants are poisonous or by beginning your own grand experiment to see which plants actually are poisonous?
    Through years of careful observation, you may come to the conclusion that they were wrong about one plant. But, finding the truth and having the courage to act with conviction took a lot of time and effort. And now your social bonds are strained for a time, because you broke the taboo.
    How likely is it that the decision made you more likely to survive and procreate? Unlikely.

Great propagandists and social engineers rely on this phenomenon to be effective.

The best counter is to make free thinking, skeptical thought and the uncensored truth widely available.

People may only take one red pill from the bottle at a time, but they will never take even one red pill from a bottle they can't find.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The best counter is to make free thinking, skeptical thought and the uncensored truth widely available.
    How?

Great to see Jordan peterson is back at home. I hope to hear what he makes of all of this.

BTW he looks like a man who could use starting strength. I believe strength training is a tonic for depression and similar conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How?
    Since someone brought up Star Trek earlier, taking a cue from the Vulcans might be beneficial: a little less emotion and a lot more logic.

I think we place far too much cultural emphasis on emotions, feelings, and how they are deemed valuable decision making tools. As we all know from the last 6-8 months, decisions made in hysterics are never good ones.

In fact, I think one could successfully argue that everything from COVID to shit cops to ANTIFA and other events have come about because people can’t keep their emotions in check.