starting strength gym
Page 729 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 22962967971972772872973073173977982912291729 ... LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,290 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This man is a truly responsible Governor. He is seeing amazing success with his model.
    May Governor Ron DeSantis' model be an example to the world!
    10/20/2020 Governor Ron DeSantis Holds Press Conference in Jacksonville - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I posted this many pages ago in the thread, but figured I should bring it back up again. 2019-2020 seasonal flu deaths, straight from the CDC website:

The number of hospitalizations estimated so far this season is lower than end-of-season total hospitalization estimates for any season since CDC began making these estimates.

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary In-Season Burden Estimates | CDC
    This year's flu season is likely, I think, to be less severe than even last year's. First, many of the people vulnerable to severe flu have already succumbed to covid. Second, the measures put in place to slow the spread of covid will also slow the spread of flu. Even among the mask-avoidant, most people are having much less close contact with strangers than usual. And practices like wiping down common surfaces, grocery checkout areas and so forth, are way up.

We may see more flu tests done this year. Because of covid anxiety, people with respiratory illness are perhaps more likely to seek medical attention, and they will be tested for both covid and flu. So flu testing will probably be done more often this season.

The Infection Fatality Rate for Covid is
    declining.
    See rolling 30/60 day chart below for Texas.
    IFR was 0.66% in April
    Now 0.10%
    Similar to the flu.

HIT or not, IFR is way down from April/May.

+Data from DSHS; 8.5x pos # to est total
    infected. 1 4-day offset for fatalities.

https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldFrog1/s...417986560?s=19

Been following this thread for a while now and after 700+ pages, decided I'd share my 2 cents.

Being that I'm from NYC, I've had both the pleasure and misfortune of having a front row seat in this clown show. After months of slamming my head against the wall wondering how it is even conceivable that people can go along with the absurd guidelines set forth for them, I've been able to come up with a few conclusions. One of them is that most people are not following the news even remotely closely enough to have the strong opinions that they do. After arguing with some of my liberal friends and neighbors (some of whom would literally only talk to me from across the street while wearing a mask), it became clear to me that I was much more involved in finding out what was actually going on than they were and that they were only following the information peripherally. They may have a few free minutes after teaching their 8th grade history class on Zoom (they always seems to be teachers oddly enough) to turn on CNN for just long enough to see the latest Trump gaffe montage or the latest Sanjay Gupta Covid-19 report and go on to conclude that Trump, is in fact, an idiot unfit for office and we must sanitize all of our groceries when we bring them home from the store.

I would often wonder how it is even possible to be so uniformed now with the invention of the internet and alternate news sources and realized that my frustration felt exactly the same as when I would debate fitness information with people who have never trained, YET STILL HAD OPINIONS, despite the wealth of information available to them. Many of us who have dedicated years of our life to training and spend a good part of our day to day life thinking about it have, at some point, gotten into a discussion with one of our flabby, untrained co-workers who prophesized about the benefits of calisthenics and keto while we sat there blank-faced wondering how to get our deadlift from 405 to 500. To us, the numbers don't lie and we have earned the right to an informed opinion by putting ourself through the process of training and walking through the fire. Unfortunately the majority of people seem to be unconcerned with actual numbers and going through the time consuming process of discovering true information before they form opinions that affect the rest of our lives. They are much more content with the 2 second soundbite advice from Dr. Fauci that they can listen to in between bites of food before they are told to put their mask back on.

Try to contain your disgust and anger while watching this restaurant owner getting a fine for having his door open.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SVNewsAle...ection-nazi%2F

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    Try to contain your disgust and anger while watching this restaurant owner getting a fine for having his door open.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SVNewsAle...ection-nazi%2F
    Once again, where do they find pieces of shit like this? The "inspector" is handing the guy a ticket for something he didn't do, and he will not do anything except regurgitate the script he has agreed to recite as a condition of his employment by the city government. Why are people always willing to either join the mob or join the Gestapo? What fucked-up aspect of human nature are we watching every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Once again, where do they find pieces of shit like this? The "inspector" is handing the guy a ticket for something he didn't do, and he will not do anything except regurgitate the script he has agreed to recite as a condition of his employment by the city government. Why are people always willing to either join the mob or join the Gestapo? What fucked-up aspect of human nature are we watching every day?
    I am not equating the two things, but it is shocking to think how easily its happened in the past.

How Ordinary Men Became Nazi Killers - Prof. Jordan Peterson - YouTube

I'd like to offer a counter anecdote, just because I feel like it's good for everyone's sanity to realize that not everyone charged with enforcing these regulations has committed to joining the Gestapo. Some are just trying to do the job they signed up for before this whole shit show even started. I'm sure we all feel a certain way about by-laws and by-law officers, but still.

My partner is an ops manager at a Toronto gym. At the end of the summer, gyms were allowed to reopen with certain precautions. As fall began cases rose *gasp*. Restrictions tightened in September, and the weekend before last (our fucking Thanksgiving!) they were told to close again for 28 days. Total bullshit, but that's not my point here.

The Monday after the closure, her gym got snitched on for running classes. They weren't, but during the first round of shutdowns they created a dedicated space for running virtual classes, and continued to run their RMT and physio operations. A by-law enforcement officer showed up, because it's his job, but he was apologetic for even having to darken their door. He took a stroll around the gym (which is 10 000 square feet with a gigantic garage door, but is being treated the same as a tiny spin studio), told them everything looked great, and that he lived in the neighbourhood and looked forward to signing up for some classes as soon as they were allowed to open.

Again, this is not to portray the restrictions as valid, or defend those who enforce them overzealously. It's just that it's easy to pick out the incidents that reinforce what we already want to believe and never see the ones that don't. My verbatim text response when she told me they'd had a by-law officer show up was "I hope you hung that narc from a flagpole by his underwear." Later, when I heard how it went, I was somewhat reassured that even some people responsible for enforcing this bullshit are at least being reasonable about it, within the confines of their job requirements.

The narc that snitched on them for no reason though...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    A by-law enforcement officer showed up, because it's his job, but he was apologetic for even having to darken their door. He took a stroll around the gym (which is 10 000 square feet with a gigantic garage door, but is being treated the same as a tiny spin studio), told them everything looked great, and that he lived in the neighbourhood and looked forward to signing up for some classes as soon as they were allowed to open.
    We're not talking about him, because he did not behave like Gestapo. We're talking about the ones that do, like the piece of shit in the deli.