starting strength gym
Page 743 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 24364369373374174274374474575379384312431743 ... LastLast
Results 7,421 to 7,430 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Btw, I’ve become a believer in the second amendment. I’m completely sure Croatia would be joining some of the neighbors in full blown totalitarian mode, we’re it not for the fact that a significant chunk of the population had never given up their weapons from the wartime 30 years ago, despite repeated government actions to collect them. And there I was all this time, thinking that you firearm loving bastards were just crazy. I mean, you’re still crazy, but you do have a point on this one.
    Former victims of real no-shit totalitarianism seem to grasp the concept.

An interesting number. Where did you get it?
    Anus, or arse for the whilst crowd.

Except that 810,000 are not dead, nowhere close to that even if you believe the bullshit number of 220,000, and the death rate peaked in April and has tailed off to background numbers. There is no evidence of a significant spike in the death rate from COVID, no mechanism by which such a thing could happen, no significant excess mortality this year as compared to bad seasonal flu throughout recent history, nothing even remotely comparable to the actual population-changing pandemics in world history, and the goddamn thing is already over. The only thing that remains is The Mask, an apt metaphor for the behavior of the general public in 2020.
    I am right there with you on the "cure" is worse than the disease (fuck you Team Apocalypse). I was just pointing out your flawed math assumptions by providing some of my own...

I will say this though: My wife is an RN with many RN friends, several in Denver, who have been at the "front lines" (lord help us), and are seeing first hand what is actually going on. And they will be the first to tell you this is well beyond even the worst flu seasons they have seen in their nearly 20 year careers. As they say (and I paraphrase here), "when was the last time you had an entire unit full of patients with the same diagnosis" ie, positive SARS-COV-2 infection and associated respiratory distress? Sorry Team Denial, but you're just as ignorant as Team Apocalypse...

And whilst (lol) some parts of the country are out of the woods (looking at you NYC) others, like WY and UT for example, are seeing a significant increase in hospitalizations (select state of interest from drop-down in upper right. I suggest looking at each of the states for the most complete picture):

Key Metrics by State | The COVID Tracking Project

Here in good ol' Sweetwater County we are actually kinda screwed at the moment, because we are a rural hospital; critical cases get shipped to the U of U (University of Utah). Thing is, they are full (as well as Casper and Cheyenne), so no place to ship right now. Five to six patients in our unit will overwhelm the hospital, then it's triage time.

And since the dipshits in charge implemented such harsh measures when they weren't necessary, now that "flatten the curve" could actually be beneficial here, everybody is fed up and getting their superspreader mob on!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    The 140-character linear extrapolation that broke civilization.

“Cases” not drawn iid from the population. The most susceptible are more likely to become “cases“ and then death statistics, earlier. It shocks no thinking person that empirical IFR has dropped markedly over time.
    Are you saying that most of that 5.4% likely already hit? That is, not uniformly distributed in time, but biased towards t = 0?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Norman View Post
    It's funny that Rip read this as referring to Trump, because that isn't what immediately came to my mind, as your meaning.
    I read you loud and clear, Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Sign of a fool right there.

How are you even on these boards? You should be preoccupied with P90X and meal prepping your vegetables.
    Amazing, isn't it? And yet, here I sit, older and stronger than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And what I'm telling you is that if the goddamn virus with a survival rate of 99.9% somehow manages to kill half a million Americans -- it can't, do the math, Einstein. If everybody in the whole fucking country caught the virus, that would be 330,000 dead, it would still not be worth the destruction of modern society. You have never built anything worth owning, or you would have grown up by now. And yours is the stupidity that enables criminals like Cuomo and Whitmer to destroy for power.
    I'm tempted to retort that you also haven't built anything worth owning, but that would just be a petty and possibly untrue statement. As much as I may think you have allowed your message boards to deteriorate from a thriving, intellectually interesting place with many contrasting viewpoints on a wide range of topics, to a stagnant echo chamber crawling with conspiracy theorists and predictably inflexible thinkers, I'd rather not just trade small-minded and defensive insults with you. But you and I disagree on the basic facts of the situation, so having a serious discussion seems unlikely to bear fruit. Why don't we just make fun of Kitsuma together, eh? Q is some crazy shit, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Q is some crazy shit, amirite?
    BLM/Antifa is some crazy shit. I don't know about Q. You have not addressed my primary point: the destruction of society to fight a flu virus. And if you don't think 1.07 million views on this thread is not "thriving," you should stop participating and watch it crumble with your absence.

Amazing, isn't it? And yet, here I sit, older and stronger than you.
    Older, I’m sure. Yet you lack the wisdom to understand that 220,000+ people did not die FROM coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    BLM/Antifa is some crazy shit. I don't know about Q. You have not addressed my primary point: the destruction of society to fight a flu virus. And if you don't think 1.07 million views on this thread is not "thriving," you should stop participating and watch it crumble with your absence.
    I’m sure you are thriving financially. The place is far less interesting and welcoming of different viewpoints than it used to be, and the acceptable perspectives require levels of paranoia that I don’t possess. Your shop, though, as you’ve said many times.

I think we’ve addressed your primary point. I disagree with your assessment that this is merely a flu virus, I agree with you that the various governmental responses have been fear-based, arbitrary, confusing, often not in line with common sense, and destructive. I happen to think most of that could have been prevented by some kind of competent and coordinated federal response involving testing and tracing, and transparent and honest communication. I don’t know whether Sweden got it right or wrong (I suspect more right than wrong), but you can’t say they didn’t have a plan or that they weren’t honest about it. I believe, in obvious disagreement with you, that this administration has failed catastrophically in that regard and that this failure is in keeping with their impressively low levels of competence and honesty in everything they touch.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Are you saying that most of that 5.4% likely already hit? That is, not uniformly distributed in time, but biased towards t = 0?
    The US used to nuke our enemies at a rate of every 3 days.

As much as I may think you have allowed your message boards to deteriorate from a thriving, intellectually interesting place with many contrasting viewpoints on a wide range of topics, to a stagnant echo chamber crawling with conspiracy theorists and predictably inflexible thinkers
    It's interesting to note how often someone who comes to a place with many contrasting viewpoints - such as in this very thread - runs into resistance, and then turns to bitch that it is an "echo chamber" filled with "inflexible thinkers." I'd say it is amazing to watch the projection and self-deception except that it is so incredibly, painfully common.

starting strength coach development program
    I’m sure you are thriving financially. The place is far less interesting and welcoming of different viewpoints than it used to be, and the acceptable perspectives require levels of paranoia that I don’t possess. Your shop, though, as you’ve said many times.
    And yet, somehow, your leftist bullshit gets approved.

I think we’ve addressed your primary point. I disagree with your assessment that this is merely a flu virus, I agree with you that the various governmental responses have been fear-based, arbitrary, confusing, often not in line with common sense, and destructive. I happen to think most of that could have been prevented by some kind of competent and coordinated federal response involving testing and tracing, and transparent and honest communication. I don’t know whether Sweden got it right or wrong (I suspect more right than wrong), but you can’t say they didn’t have a plan or that they weren’t honest about it. I believe, in obvious disagreement with you, that this administration has failed catastrophically in that regard and that this failure is in keeping with their impressively low levels of competence and honesty in everything they touch.
    The federal government cannot legally impose a national policy upon the states regarding COVID-19. Why, that would make it a dictatorship. Sweden got it right, and the fact that you don't know this is interesting but expected. They had a plan, and they are not a federal republic so they could implement it easily, because the basic plan was to leave everybody alone. You leftists used to like Sweden, I remember clearly. Leaving everybody alone pisses you off, doesn't it?