starting strength gym
Page 744 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 24464469473474274374474574675479484412441744 ... LastLast
Results 7,431 to 7,440 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    ....the difference here is covid-19 is a strain from family of viruses that have been previously researched extensively. True, a vaccine hadn’t previously been developed against this family of viruses, but the motivation wasn’t there previously whereas now it is (in the form of oodles of dollars)...It’s kind of ironic that you mention the Spanish flu in this thought as that’s exactly what happened to it, descendants of it are still kicking but it doesn’t matter as much as it’s more benign than the original strain....But the basic biology here doesn’t lead to a great risk of a worse virus coming directly from this.
    You believe that with the combination of prior research, government prodding and financial incentives, they can create an effective vaccine quickly and safely.
    Rather than repeat myself on the topic, I will simply say I still believe the probability of a quickly developed, safe, effective vaccine is low. We also would have to define "quickly" at this point; it has been ~9 months so far. The 1968 vaccine took only 4 months to develop and distribute 9 million doses.

What strain do you think the "original strain" was for the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic? What is the current descendent of that deadly strain that has become endemic?
    Does a virus actually tend to mutate to become less deadly or do organisms tend to develop an immunogenetic tolerance, which allows them to live alongside the virus?

We are in agreement the the probability of a more deadly strain developing is low. My argument is that the probability is much higher than in a scenario without lockdowns and semi-isolated populations.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    The video has been removed. Must of been important!
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1320160474672095232

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    It's interesting to note how often someone who comes to a place with many contrasting viewpoints - such as in this very thread - runs into resistance, and then turns to bitch that it is an "echo chamber" filled with "inflexible thinkers." I'd say it is amazing to watch the projection and self-deception except that it is so incredibly, painfully common.
    Stef, I'm not complaining about the resistance, such as it is. I'm merely sharing my observations about the changes in this board over the past 10 years. If you think that this is as interesting and diverse as a place as it was 6 or 8 years ago, with people like tertius and spar and aurelius and the like, then more power to you. Spare me the melodramatic bullshit, though, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And yet, somehow, your leftist bullshit gets approved.

The federal government cannot legally impose a national policy upon the states regarding COVID-19. Why, that would make it a dictatorship. Sweden got it right, and the fact that you don't know this is interesting but expected. They had a plan, and they are not a federal republic so they could implement it easily, because the basic plan was to leave everybody alone. You leftists used to like Sweden, I remember clearly. Leaving everybody alone pisses you off, doesn't it?
    I never said impose a national policy. How about just telling the truth, moving quickly when this thing entered our country instead of saying that it will disappear like a miracle, creating a comprehensive plan for testing and tracing that all states could utilize as they pleased, and making sure states don't bid against each other for supplies? There are other things they could have done, I'm sure, if we knew what they knew. Also, I said I think Sweden got it mostly right, did I not? As you've been fond of saying, however, we don't have enough data to be making firm judgments yet, so I suppose we'll wait and see. But if you think Sweden's plan was just to leave everybody alone, I think you should read more.

California Gov. Newsom's Thanksgiving Rules Explained as Severe Restrictions Put in Place

All gatherings must include no more than three households, including hosts and guests, and must be held outdoors, lasting for two hours or less.
    So, if you have three kids grown and married or it's cold, fuck you.

Attendees may go inside to use restrooms

Oh. Wow. Thanks. I appreciate the government allowing us to use our own bathrooms.

As much as possible, all food and drink should be served in disposable containers, while self-serve communal containers and other shared items should not be used at the gathering.

I don't even know where to start with that one. How do you even serve a turkey that way?

I'm sorry but my tolerance for this kind of shit is growing ever smaller. At this point we'd need Ebola-like numbers to justify this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    California Gov. Newsom's Thanksgiving Rules Explained as Severe Restrictions Put in Place

All gatherings must include no more than three households, including hosts and guests, and must be held outdoors, lasting for two hours or less.

Oh. Wow. Thanks. I appreciate the government allowing us to use our own bathrooms.

As much as possible, all food and drink should be served in disposable containers, while self-serve communal containers and other shared items should not be used at the gathering.

I don't even know where to start with that one. How do you even serve a turkey that way?

I'm sorry but my tolerance for this kind of shit is growing ever smaller. At this point we'd need Ebola-like numbers to justify this shit.
    Been gone a while. I died from the COVID, but I am feeling better now.

Actually read the article. What in the world? This is real?

How would the sanitizing of my indoor plumbing be monitored by the governor, I wonder?

They suggest we whisper and BY GODS don't play your wind instrument....you will all die like me.

Silly. And California will go right along with it, at least it seems so.

sb

Restrooms, where the virus is actually spread.

https://www.cebm.net/wp-content/uplo...7/toilet-1.png

SARS-CoV-2 and the Role of Orofecal Transmission: Evidence Brief - CEBM

Google “covid deaths California” shows nothing alarming. Looks a lot like it has in the past. And they seem to be on the downhill side of a 2 month ~ 25% increase.

Curious fellow, Newsom.

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Stef, I'm not complaining about the resistance, such as it is. I'm merely sharing my observations about the changes in this board over the past 10 years. If you think that this is as interesting and diverse as a place as it was 6 or 8 years ago, with people like tertius and spar and aurelius and the like, then more power to you. ...
    You seek John Galt. He is not here; he is risen.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    Nice 👏👏👏 two weeks of flatten the curve is now electronic devices placed on you. How’s that Victoria? Is this what you signed on for?

https://twitter.com/AussieVal10/stat...354596352?s=09
    Well you voted for Chairman Dan. He sets the state on fire now he gets praise from the ABC for trying to put the fire out. We should cut Victoria adrift and send it on down to the south pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    BLM/Antifa is some crazy shit. I don't know about Q. You have not addressed my primary point: the destruction of society to fight a flu virus. And if you don't think 1.07 million views on this thread is not "thriving," you should stop participating and watch it crumble with your absence.
    I don't think a lot of the things I hear Q people believe are true. But I can totally understand believing the country is run by pedophiles. Because we've turned up quite a few powerful pedophiles.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    It's interesting to note how often someone who comes to a place with many contrasting viewpoints - such as in this very thread - runs into resistance, and then turns to bitch that it is an "echo chamber" filled with "inflexible thinkers." I'd say it is amazing to watch the projection and self-deception except that it is so incredibly, painfully common.
    I love you Stef, I've on many accounts been gaslighted about my thinking. Some have said, " you should learn to think laterally, you're too rigid." apparently theres a book about thinking laterally? I've been told, " I could try to explain it to you but you just wouldn't understand."
    I seem to run into the end of reason sometimes. One of the only comforts i take in is martin luther, when he affectively stood up to the whole mass of humanity in denying the traditions of man.

"I cannot and will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me. Amen."

– Martin Luther, in front of his inquisitors at the Diet of Worms.