starting strength gym
Page 751 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 25165170174174975075175275376180185112511751 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,510 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    That's not the pertinent counter argument IMO. More importantly, and you guys in the West who still have a semblance of capitalism don't really understand this properly because you don't have as strong a bureaucracy:

If you were to tax the "wealthy" in order to provide for the 85 IQ crowd, you would get three administrators for a single 85 IQ person. The money would of course not go to our poor nr 85, because the support staff paychecks would eat it all up. Then the government would form three or four select committees to ascertain the reasons for our dear nr 85 being poorer than when the program started. The committee would most certainly deduce that the problem lies in poor funding, which would be corrected by raising more money from the lowest income tax bracket. I mean, taking a one percent hit on your salary is somewhat rough, but we need to help our most endangered members, don't we?
    Anyone who has ever had to deal with being poor ought to know this. Right now my state has taken a bunch of grants to run a program to retrain people who lost jobs due to the pandemic. It sounds wonderful. But the reality is that once you sign up the lady from the temp place calls you. The same temp place you can apply to at any time. I got nothing against the temp place, I've worked for them years ago when I was younger and taking classes but we didn't need million dollar grants to do that. Same thing happens with DHS. They get huge grants for programs that are supposed to teach people about jobs and prepare them for the work place. In reality, when you go it's just a bunch of food stamp recipients in what has been set up like a classroom and everyone is playing on their phones. There's no real training. Someone is getting that money though. So the more money you throw at poor folks through the government the less the poor folks actually get. Half the people in that room- there's no helping them. They just do not want to have to the hard stuff like show up on time. The other half would actually like to learn something and are being screwed out of it by the middle men who have figured out that it's better to divert money to their salaries and claim the program needs more funding to work. You tend to see the same thing in subsidized housing. The subsidized housing is crappier, less safe, but damn, the owners of it sure do drive nice cars. It's a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    These people are more than welcome to donate their own money to whoever they want, but they want to volunteer you to be stripped of your belongings at government gunpoint to donate instead.
    That's not the pertinent counter argument IMO. More importantly, and you guys in the West who still have a semblance of capitalism don't really understand this properly because you don't have as strong a bureaucracy:
    If you were to tax the "wealthy" in order to provide for the 85 IQ crowd, you would get three administrators for a single 85 IQ person. The money would of course not go to our poor nr 85, because the support staff paychecks would eat it all up. Then the government would form three or four select committees to ascertain the reasons for our dear nr 85 being poorer than when the program started. The committee would most certainly deduce that the problem lies in poor funding, which would be corrected by raising more money from the lowest income tax bracket. I mean, taking a one percent hit on your salary is somewhat rough, but we need to help our most endangered members, don't we?
    You make a very good point; Corruption consumes most wealth redistribution.

My response may have sounded harsh, but the content is valid:

Any sort of forced redistribution is completely antithetical to human motivation.
    The more you tax, the less work people are motivated to do. If I am only allowed 1 house, I will only do the work it takes to get 1 house. If it is easier to be a homeless nomad, then that is what I will be.

In a system built on extortion and theft, the smart career move is to surreptitiously steal from the system rather than contribute to it.

Charitable giving is not a moral act with a knife on the throat. Compassion can only be borne from your own free will.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    A nice tight little summary. Briggs will be on my podcast Friday.

And here's one way to deal with a problem: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElVZo12X...jpg&name=small

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Anyone who has ever had to deal with being poor ought to know this.
    This is probably the most important point. These people who profess to care about the poor really only have an academic idea of the situation. Kind of like all these people caring about COVID killing the elderly now.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    The Price of Panic

https://twitter.com/FatEmperor/statu...913118721?s=19

Please note final paragraph, in which one of
    the most distinguished lawyers and
    historians in the country warns that a new
    authoritarian mode of politics may be here to stay.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/stat...496788992?s=19
    Governments rarely give up these kinds of powers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    A nice tight little summary. Briggs will be on my podcast Friday.
    Important listening!
    This is a very interesting and informative interview/lecture of Why SAGE is wrong.
    Yeadon talks to James about his devastating paper "What SAGE has Got Wrong" in which he says that the Covid pandemic is over, that there will be no Second Wave, that we have already achieved herd immunity, and that Sir Patrick Vallance, Britain’s Chief Scientific Adviser, is a liar and that the vaccine is more or less a waste of time. He doesn’t pull his punches.
    Many of the important issues of the day are discussed and explained in a very clear and coherent way for all levels of understanding.

Some of the topics discussed (just off the top of my head and not in order of the interview):
    Biology/Immunology 101:
    -T cell immunity
    -herd immunity
    -the reason why the antibody rate is so low. It's just too expensive. the body prefers to use more efficient cheaper ammo before bringing in the more expensive big guns so to speak
    -Gompertz curve
    -his views on the establishment, scientist, and modelists based on his personal experience with intermingling working and learning amongst some of these people.
    -Several reasons why large scale hyper testing is flawed and why he believes there is up to a 5% false-positive rate.

Dr Mike Yeadon - YouTube

the below links are Yeadons articles that background the above discussion
    What SAGE Has Got Wrong – Lockdown Sceptics
    How Likely is a Second wave? – Lockdown Sceptics

Rip, do you think you could interview him?

The first interviewee Professor Elliott, who directed an Imperial College London study into falling antibody levels knew he was lying to the interviewers' tough questions. How can a person like that live with himself!
    Professor disputes epidemiologist's coronavirus immunity claim as 'groupthink hysteria' - YouTube

Do you guys get doctors coming on TV offering tours of the COVID ward to “non-believers”? They do that all the time here, it’s among my favorite bits of the pandemic hysteria. I’m not all that worried about severe lockdowns in Germany, even if they do close up a region or two, it will be highly temporary. Plus, numerous state supreme courts have already started ruling the anti-COVID measures unconstitutional. Also, don’t forget that your countrymen are really close to massive scale protesting.

It’s the old EU member states in the south that are fucked, their governments have caught the whiff of the ten year inflation period and want to position themselves as victims of the pandemic, meaning they have to fuck up their GDP stats as much as possible in order to qualify for as large a percentage of the ECB and Commission funding as possible. Spain has declared a state of emergency to last until May.
    Here we go. They call it "LockDown light" for 30 days... I doubt your "highly temporary". What do they do after re-opening when the "numbers" rise again? How do they leave this vicious circle? They can't. And if they do and let the virus spread, I hope the lawsuits of the businesses they ruined kick their f****** asses to prison. That's where our government belongs to be. And not only ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Anyone who has ever had to deal with being poor ought to know this. Right now my state has taken a bunch of grants to run a program to retrain people who lost jobs due to the pandemic. It sounds wonderful. But the reality is that once you sign up the lady from the temp place calls you. The same temp place you can apply to at any time. I got nothing against the temp place, I've worked for them years ago when I was younger and taking classes but we didn't need million dollar grants to do that. Same thing happens with DHS. They get huge grants for programs that are supposed to teach people about jobs and prepare them for the work place. In reality, when you go it's just a bunch of food stamp recipients in what has been set up like a classroom and everyone is playing on their phones. There's no real training. Someone is getting that money though. So the more money you throw at poor folks through the government the less the poor folks actually get. Half the people in that room- there's no helping them. They just do not want to have to the hard stuff like show up on time. The other half would actually like to learn something and are being screwed out of it by the middle men who have figured out that it's better to divert money to their salaries and claim the program needs more funding to work. You tend to see the same thing in subsidized housing. The subsidized housing is crappier, less safe, but damn, the owners of it sure do drive nice cars. It's a racket.
    YES. Reminds me of when I tried a state program here in NY that was supposed to help people with "disabilities" find work. I was thinking maybe they'd offer tax credits to potential employers to incentivize hiring people from their program. Instead it ended up just being going to a place to have a lady supervise me applying to jobs. She was absolutely no help. They had multiple offices dedicated to this program, fully staffed. I imagine all these people were probably pulling in at least decent salaries. All of it was to do absolutely nothing useful. One of their "success stories" was "helping" a guy get a job collecting carts at stop & shop.

It also reminds me of when I interned at the IT department of a VA hospital facility. The place had multiple buildings, most of them were just office space. Going out to service their computers, I'm not sure what the hell it was these people even did for a living, it seemed like the height of their job was doing something like designing a flyer. Other than that they just kinda hung out and chatted. Only one large building functioned as the actual hospital.

Key takeaway is, government is the most wasteful spender of money. You'd make a bigger difference giving a random homeless guy 10 bucks than the amount they extract from you in taxes claiming it's for benevolent government programs. I wish this pattern of waste were only limited to that, but it's not. It's everywhere. It's what makes people become libertarians when they see how fucking wasteful the government inevitably is. The only solution seems to be just minimize the ability of government to take people's money and use it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by abduality View Post
    The study can't be found online because, as one of the co-investigators alluded, it is actively being suppressed by academic journals. I imagine it's because the study showed masks don't work. I think they might post it to MedRxiv eventually.

Here is a the link to the pre-registration of their randomized controlled trial which provides an overview of the design, etc.: Face masks for the prevention of COVID-19 - Rationale and design of the randomised controlled trial DANMASK-19 - PubMed
    It seems a little odd to me that academic journals would actively try to suppress the results of this study considering what it was designed to actually measure. Maybe they're worried that people will read the results incorrectly and make a leap to "masks don't do anything"?