starting strength gym
Page 802 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 30270275279280080180280380481285290213021802 ... LastLast
Results 8,011 to 8,020 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Pfizer is so huge. The announcement barely registers as a blip in the stock price if you look at the last few years.
    I think some stock ticker said there was a 16% bump with the announcement. Not negligible, and perhaps enough to take profits while you can.

But I will look at their stock history soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I was talking specifically about the mechanics of genetic transcription, inheritance, etc., not about the genes themselves. Yes, species differ genetically, although not as much as you would think. But that's beside the point. The central dogma of DNA->RNA->protein is not universal, but it is exactly as applicable in humans as it is in other mammals. And the vast majority of what we have learned about this, from bacteriophage viruses on up to chimps, is directly transferable to understanding how genes work on the cellular level in humans.

If you're wondering whether a scrap of mRNA is going to worm its way back into a nucleus and add a heritable mutation, which is what most people worried about "messing with genetics" are thinking of, then testing this concept on an animal cell is pretty much as good as on a human cell. And that's been done many many times over decades. And there are several drugs out there that use some version of introducing RNA for therapeutic effect, as you point out, so this has been tested in humans as well.

You are completely correct that many if not the majority of drugs that work in other animals fail to be as useful in humans. I wasn't trying to make a point on the efficacy of an mRNA vaccine, only on its safety.
    So mRNA in the cytoplasm does not re-enter the nucleus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    I find it a strong argument I heard from a leftie American. It's important to consider counterarguments. So I'll ask it again: If the dems commited fraud to win the presidency, why would they not do the same for the senate? I'm interested in what the response is of someone who believes these fraud allegations.
    They are not that good at this. The Senate does not threaten them. It would not be plausible to push it that far. Etc.

But I can and would still oppose a policy of separating families to dissuade immigration. A wall is more effective.
    Why can't this one aspect be criticized as less humane than his predecessors?
    You're from Budapest. If you are driving down the road in Vienna in a truck with your kids in the front and a load of stolen furniture in the back, and the cops stop you for running a red light, ask for your passport, you don't have one, they see the furniture, ask you where it came from, you can't tell them, they get a report of stolen furniture, it matches your load, and they arrest you for theft/burglary/smuggling/human trafficking/etc., what do you suppose happens to your kids? You really don't know anything about this other than what CNN tells you through your local media, so just stop typing. I'm done reading your stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    I find it a strong argument I heard from a leftie American. It's important to consider counterarguments. So I'll ask it again: If the dems commited fraud to win the presidency, why would they not do the same for the senate? I'm interested in what the response is of someone who believes these fraud allegations. I don't know what to believe, and I don't need to. You don't have to feel insulted if you don't have a rebuttal. English is not my first language, I wasn't trying to be facetious. My apologies if I came across as such.

Heck no, according to CNN, I'm a neonazi. Thank God they have no presence over here.

Why is there a need to deny:
    (1) Trump said some racist shit once
    (2) he dislikes muslims

A person can admit both and still support the resulting policies.

Most Hungarians, including me, are proud of our immigration policies.
    I would still vote "far right" (according to CNN type outlets) even if our leader bashed some Pakistanis or something. Because the alternative would be Budapest turning into Paris and teachers being beheaded.
    But I can and would still oppose a policy of separating families to dissuade immigration. A wall is more effective.
    Why can't this one aspect be criticized as less humane than his predecessors?
    The goal of OUR immigration policy should be to preserve our catholic national identity, not to make others suffer.
    We already lost 2/3 of our country in 1920 due to immigration. Our border fence has been a success for the most part, except that it should've been placed a little to the south.
    Hey neighbor, are you enjoying your curfew?

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    I think some stock ticker said there was a 16% bump with the announcement. Not negligible, and perhaps enough to take profits while you can.

But I will look at their stock history soonest.
    Looked. That CEO has impeccable timing. Pfizer is down by about, oh, 25% over the past two years. With some significant swings in there (large amplitude, low frequency, ~ zero mean). He picked a point just above the 1-year high. There’s a very clear signal in the stock price series corresponding to the vaccine’s announcement.

Like genetics, not sure what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdcoast_slope View Post
    My co-worker who has a bumper sticker on her car "Trump 2020" was told by our boss "I don't like that sticker, in my parking lot" and left the building. I looked into it, and he could actually fire her for that. Crazy shit, she was super worried and now is in fear of losing her job, but doesn't want to remove the sticker. It is his business and he has the right, but what a shitty thing to do.
    Workers basically have zero rights in America and can be fired for any reason, or no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by alsbos View Post
    Workers basically have zero rights in America and can be fired for any reason, or no reason.
    Building Something Rather than Working for Someone | Jay Livsey

Ok, but isn’t the man already filthy liquid rich?
    Probably. That's why I said "in his opinion". He still has liabilities and assets that must be maintained. Maybe $5 million is a buffer from his usual $10 million in liquidity that just went down to $7 million due to expenses. I'm not here to speculate on his liabilities and use of money.

Here's the thing people misunderstand about rich people - they're not qualitatively different from you or me. They have the same worries, perspectives, and fears. The difference is that their income and liabilities scale with a few more zeros on the ends than ours do.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They are not that good at this. The Senate does not threaten them. It would not be plausible to push it that far. Etc.

You're from Budapest. If you are driving down the road in Vienna in a truck with your kids in the front and a load of stolen furniture in the back, and the cops stop you for running a red light, ask for your passport, you don't have one, they see the furniture, ask you where it came from, you can't tell them, they get a report of stolen furniture, it matches your load, and they arrest you for theft/burglary/smuggling/human trafficking/etc., what do you suppose happens to your kids?
    The USA government and business interests spent the last 50 years welcoming illegal labor with open arms, and sending mixed messages to illegals to come on over. Basically the USA wants illegals to 'steal those TVs' because it's cheaper than paying the disposal fee. But they don't want to admit it, so they arrest a few here and there and act all upset. I certainly understand why people think we should just leave kids out of this stupid game.

Do Employers Face Consequences for Hiring Unauthorized Workers?

"Department of Justice data analyzed by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse show that criminal prosecutions against employer representatives for hiring undocumented workers have never exceeded 20 per year, except during 2005 under George W. Bush and in 2009 under Barack Obama.

The numbers have held steady under President Donald Trump, even as almost every other enforcement measure has surged. From April 2018 through March 2019, 11 individuals representing employers were prosecuted for hiring workers without proper documentation. Of those, only three were sentenced to prison time."

Its amazing. There's ~20 million illegals in the USA, and THREE people went to jail for hiring them in 2018-2019. I wonder how many people Sessions sent to jail for smoking pot that year??

starting strength coach development program
    So mRNA in the cytoplasm does not re-enter the nucleus?
    Pretty much no. I would say never, but that's a bad word. It probably happened once to some guy my cousin knew.

As I recall, mRNA is actively transported out of the nucleus. Transporting it back in would be kind of counterproductive and a waste of energy, so therefore unlikely. Wasteful, counterproductive, expensive behavior is characteristic of complex multicellular organisms like people, not of cellular organelles. Do you know of counterexamples?