starting strength gym
Page 821 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 32172177181181982082182282383187192113211821 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,210 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That will not happen here, Commander.

I hope you're right, Rip!!

But what have you based that opinion on, gut feeling; your own personal morals?

Cuz two days ago on Revolver (forever grateful to you and my fellow lifters for recommending that site so I could throw Drudge where it fucking now belongs) I saw the stories about the UK locking down again, and Fauci testing out the public's intended compliance rate by saying nothing'll change 'til the end of '21, and thought, it's time to prepare and be proactive and make some changes. I didn't think that because I thought that our USA is safe from the Great Reset.

And, Dave, where's your mindset; with the election now almost successfully stolen, do you still think people's titties are lactating? I'm just pissed that not a single damn celebrity or athlete or politician, somebody with easily enough clout and money to feel fearless, can be found openly mocking the muzzle laws. Instead on the TVs of the Moscow Metro today I saw constant mask propaganda, and a news piece about the American band Flaming Lips holding a concert with themselves and all members of the audience enclosed in, I kid you not, "Boy in the Bubble" bubbles:

The Flaming Lips and fans encased in plastic bubbles at concert | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If just a handful more people like Tucker (has he taken a stance on CoVid yet, BTW?) publicly condemned all this madness, imagine where we'd be today instead.

I had wanted to make a parody of Wyclef Jean's song and call it "We'll be Locked Down Til September," but other priorities came first and then I started to realize it'll all just come back again after a brief summer respite.
    And these guys have musically represented the madness better than I ever could, anyway:
    Five Finger Death Punch - Living The Dream (Official Music Video) - YouTube

(HIGHLY RECOMMEND LISTENING & ADDING TO YOUR TRAINING PLAYLIST)

Sully?
    OK, let me say this: the evidence for the benefit of masks is pretty weak, especially the evidence for protecting the mask-wearer. BUT, evidence for masks being harmful is non-existent. And the reason masks are recommended is to protect the people around the mask-wearer. And what did the Danish AIM paper have to say about this?

The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. ... It is important to emphasize that this trial did not address the effects of masks as source control or as protection in settings where social distancing and other public health measures are not in effect.

Reduction in release of virus from infected persons into the environment may be the mechanism for mitigation of transmission in communities where mask use is common or mandated, as noted in observational studies. Thus, these findings do not provide data on the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing in the community in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections
    Look, science is not great at producing the answers if you don't ask precisely the right questions, and as tempting as it is to generalize, you just can't say the evidence is there when it isn't.

I believe that covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze is useful, and that wearing a mask does contain the wearer's snot and saliva droplets, therefore reducing the amount of virus spread around by someone who is shedding virus. It makes sense to me and I haven't yet seen evidence to the contrary. But I am willing to change my mind when that happens.

Personally, I like the recommendation to use masks when physical distance isn't possible. It makes sense to me. Wearing a mask probably reduces chance of viral spread when two people interact something like 10-50%. I admittedly pulled those numbers, however, out of my ass. I worked on an open hospital unit where nobody was masked. We had a COVID+ staff person start coughing at work. Within a week about 90% of our patients were COVID+. This was early in the year. Now all staff are masked, and patients are encouraged to mask, but not required. In the months since then, we have had several (masked at work) staff members test COVID+ but no further patients testing positive. This is not a study. It is a small population. It is an anecdote. But covering your mouth when you are sick makes sense, and in my experience masks have been part of what has slowed down spread of the virus. Maybe we're also just washing our hands more and that is sufficient. I find the objections to masks, and the idea that they are harmful, to be nonsensical from a medical perspective. I'm sympathetic to the social/political arguments, but I have yet to be convinced that there is a medical harm to wearing masks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Jfsully as I understand you're a medical professional, so perhaps in just sifting through the study's protocols this connection slipped past you:

Your rhetoric here sounds a lot like the "true communism hasn't been tried yet" fodder that we could find on any Reddit board, AntiFa meeting, or smoke-filled college dorm room at 2 AM.

And BTW, is there scientific reasoning behind why these studies choose to demonstrate that muzzling up is ineffective?
    Why isn't the baseline assumption that muzzles are absolutely INeffective, and the the jack-booted muzzlers must demonstrate that masks are in fact effective enough to compensate for their "inconveniences"?
    What "connection" are you even talking about? Did you read the NEJM paper? That would make two of us.

There is a reason Russia, China, Hungary and many other nations have worked extremely hard to remove Soros NGOs from their countries.
    Dominion Voting shares office with far-left George Soros linked group - Rebel News

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Great Reset's comin'. Get ready to own nothing, have no privacy, and never have been happier!
    Majority of Americans didn't own anything (mortgage, credit cards, car loans), have no privacy (PII breaches and self disclosure through social media), and will be looking forward to mashing their dopamine buttons while wearing masks at home alone.

Sounds like the great reset went down years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I hope so, I really do. But there are a lot of people in this country who have bought into the bullshit. If we get a Biden/Harris administration I don't know if there's a peaceful option to keeping it from happening.
    I didn't say anything about "peaceful."

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    I worked on an open hospital unit where nobody was masked. We had a COVID+ staff person start coughing at work. Within a week about 90% of our patients were COVID+. This was early in the year. Now all staff are masked, and patients are encouraged to mask, but not required. In the months since then, we have had several (masked at work) staff members test COVID+ but no further patients testing positive. This is not a study. It is a small population. It is an anecdote. But covering your mouth when you are sick makes sense, and in my experience masks have been part of what has slowed down spread of the virus. Maybe we're also just washing our hands more and that is sufficient. I find the objections to masks, and the idea that they are harmful, to be nonsensical from a medical perspective. I'm sympathetic to the social/political arguments, but I have yet to be convinced that there is a medical harm to wearing masks.
    How many people died, and who were they, i.e. age/comorbidities?

. . . I believe that covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze is useful, and that wearing a mask does contain the wearer's snot and saliva droplets, therefore reducing the amount of virus spread around by someone who is shedding virus. It makes sense to me and I haven't yet seen evidence to the contrary. . . .
    And there is the common ground. Masks do prevent us from spitting on each other. No harm in that.

How many people died, and who were they, i.e. age/comorbidities?
    Only 1 went to ICU, a couple others had minor illness. Most did fine. But this is a psychiatric unit, patients are relatively young and healthy. My point was not that COVID is a severe illness, we weren’t talking about that. My point was that masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting. This is convincing to me. And I have not seen any evidence that would persuade me otherwise, including in the two papers you recently posted.

Only 1 went to ICU, a couple others had minor illness. Most did fine. But this is a psychiatric unit, patients are relatively young and healthy. My point was not that COVID is a severe illness, we weren’t talking about that. My point was that masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting. This is convincing to me. And I have not seen any evidence that would persuade me otherwise, including in the two papers you recently posted.
    In your professional opinion. What would prevent more untimely deaths, universal mandated mask wearing or mandatory diet and exercise programs?

starting strength coach development program
    Right. Nobody died. This is true almost everywhere, because the survival rate of COVID-19 is 99.97%. Yet society has been transformed under the charade of "The Deadly COVID-19 Pandemic." All of this shit falls out of this giant lie. The economic devastation, the suicides, lost businesses, lost relationships, lost relatives are all the result of this lie. You seem like a very good man, but the bigger picture here has apparently eluded you. The Mask is medically pointless in the vast majority of situations, but it is the symbol of the fear that makes society obey. I realize that working in a hospital colors your perspective, but the rest of society has been irrevocably damaged by this lie, and your observation that "masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting" is utterly irrelevant to the greater situation, and completely misses the point that the rest of us are trying to deal with on a daily basis, as we attempt to salvage what is left of normal life.

I don't care if masks and attentiveness to distance and handwashing appear to have made a difference and controlled the spread of the virus in a fairly controlled setting. I care about the 99.97% of us that will survive this version of the flu. More importantly, I care that kids are being taught to be afraid of personal contact, that grandparents are dying alone and afraid for absolutely no reason, that gyms are closed and people are losing their ability to stay healthy, that bars and restaurants are closing up for good, that the social fabric we have evolved over centuries is now the casualty of politics, that peoples' lives are the distant considerations of media scum and political criminals who enjoy the power that the fear they have manufactured has given them. As long as professionals such as yourself cannot rise above your immediate circumstances and gain some larger perspective, you remain the ally of those who enjoy the control. I'm truly sorry, but this is the truth.