starting strength gym
Page 823 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 32372377381382182282382482583387392313231823 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,230 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's an example of what is actually being done in this country. I have no way to post the picture, but we just got an "Emergency Alert" from the State of New Mexico. It reads as follows:

(yellow triangle with a ! inside) EMERGENCY ALERTS

Emergency Alert
    NM Covid-19 update: Shelter in place except for
    emergency needs. EXTREME virus risk. Visit
    cv.nmhealth.org for information.
    As if a damn ballistic missile launch was detected. These mother fuckers are out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    As if a damn ballistic missile launch was detected. These mother fuckers are out of control.
    Those, not so much a problem now:

US Navy destroyer shoots down ICBM target in historic test - Business Insider

It is interesting that the portable morgues often go to the border towns. As if we’re importing serious cases from our southern neighbor. Horowitz was making a point about such demographics months ago in the Conservative Review, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    It sounds as if you may not hold the policy beliefs that some perceive that you do. Why do you think that is?

Honestly, I think it’s because things are so polarized right now. From each other’s perspective, it seems like the only two camps are “destructive panic” and “stubborn denial.”

I’d like to think that most of us are not really entirely in either camp. To say that lockdowns are destructive and come with great costs is NOT the same as saying that covid is a hoax. But lots of people hear it that way. Conversely, saying that masks and distancing probably do slow the spread of a virus is NOT the same as saying we must do everything possible to contain the virus no matter the cost. But people hear it that way. I’d like to be a contrarian and needle both sides equally, but the conversation here is fairly one-sided. So I get lumped in with the other side.

Honestly, I think this whole problem comes about because we are innately bad at assessing risk. Our brains are not designed to instinctively solve problems like this. Rip’s friend Taleb has made a living off this fact. So we respond to the extreme cartoon version of the risk, which is easier to react to: it’s the Death Plague vs. it’s Really Nothing. Once these two reactions got lined up with the two major political factions in this country, the possibility of having a thoughtful dialog or a strictly science-based (both microbiology and economics) response to it pretty much went out the window.

I know better than to try to change anyone’s mind. So I’ll stick to doing my part to steer the argument back toward the few facts that we have, when it seems needed. It’s one way I think I can be helpful. Getting on a soapbox to litigate the lockdown or election or whatever isn’t needed at this point. We have enough soapboxes already going around here. Mine isn’t any better.

jfsully, with his circumscribed mask observations, is like the white blood cell attacking SARS-Cov-2: diligently doing his job, but ignoring externalized costs, and ultimately left with a ravaged environment. That massive external cost is, of course, fear pervading society.

The classical understanding is that public health interventions reduce fear by maintaining sanctitude of e.g. the medical system. That makes sense, but it proved phenomenally wrong in May through June. People remained paralyzed by fear long after the medical system became vacant.

It is clear that these interventions, or at least the concomitant headlines, cause fear in of themselves. Proponents of lockdowns, etc. must recognize these costs. I don’t care if they relegate the cost of fear to “social/political” category, rather than the so-very hard-minded “medical” one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Looks like a plan is underway...

Perhaps those in the know can shed some light on what this means:
    Civilian special ops leadership to report directly to Miller
    Ezra Cohen-Watnick provides more details: implementing JFK's vision

It sounds like they've moved Special Ops into its own branch which reports Directly to Ezra Cohen-Watkick.
    Perhaps Cyber will be next.

We were told 2.5 years ago to keep an eye on Ezra Cohen-Watnick as he was being pushed out of the White House. He's a Flynn loyalist.

This look like a President on his way out?
    Nice move. I wonder how they’ll handle another chain of command, in parallel?

Vaguely reminds me of something Dick Couch wrote in his book on the special forces. Something like: future conflicts will not be able to be handled remotely, but will require humint and personal interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You mean that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers has now certified the elections results, reversing their previous refusal?
    I was watching a video of the local news broadcast covering this story in Detroit. The segment included a short video showing the 'public' comment period the election board had with residents after announcing they were not going to certify the election. IMO, I'll flat out state that the reason the 2 Republicans reversed course is they very much feared for their lives. That was election intimidation 101 PERIOD. The problem is this now sets a precedent for future elections - cheat to win and, if they discover 'discrepancies', threaten and intimidate them into submission. It's unbelievable that stuff like this is allowed in a democracy, people should be on the fast track to doing hard time for this. UNBELIEVABLE.

GOP members of Wayne County Board of Canvassers reverse decision, vote to certify election results - YouTube

Update from tonight on Wayne County: BREAKING REVERSAL — Wayne County election board members rescind their votes, possibly decertifying results… – CITIZEN FREE PRESS

In an extraordinary turnabout that foreshadows possible legal action, the two GOP members of Wayne County’s election board signed affidavits Wednesday night alleging they were bullied and misled into approving election results in Michigan’s largest metropolis and do not believe the votes should be certified until serious irregularities in Detroit votes are resolved.

Unfortunately, as I've heard pointed out, that doesn't mean it necessarily voids their votes under Michigan's system. It's probably just going to get pushed forward and these two ignored.