starting strength gym
Page 824 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 32472477481482282382482582683487492413241824 ... LastLast
Results 8,231 to 8,240 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    Honestly, I think it’s because things are so polarized right now. From each other’s perspective, it seems like the only two camps are “destructive panic” and “stubborn denial.”

I’d like to think that most of us are not really entirely in either camp. To say that lockdowns are destructive and come with great costs is NOT the same as saying that covid is a hoax. But lots of people hear it that way. Conversely, saying that masks and distancing probably do slow the spread of a virus is NOT the same as saying we must do everything possible to contain the virus no matter the cost. But people hear it that way. I’d like to be a contrarian and needle both sides equally, but the conversation here is fairly one-sided. So I get lumped in with the other side.

Honestly, I think this whole problem comes about because we are innately bad at assessing risk. Our brains are not designed to instinctively solve problems like this. Rip’s friend Taleb has made a living off this fact. So we respond to the extreme cartoon version of the risk, which is easier to react to: it’s the Death Plague vs. it’s Really Nothing. Once these two reactions got lined up with the two major political factions in this country, the possibility of having a thoughtful dialog or a strictly science-based (both microbiology and economics) response to it pretty much went out the window.

I know better than to try to change anyone’s mind. So I’ll stick to doing my part to steer the argument back toward the few facts that we have, when it seems needed. It’s one way I think I can be helpful. Getting on a soapbox to litigate the lockdown or election or whatever isn’t needed at this point. We have enough soapboxes already going around here. Mine isn’t any better.
    Dude, I don't mean to step on your toes, but if you look at the Covid data worldwide, it is extremely clear that masks do not slow the spread of the virus, i.e. you will see huge increases in cases in countries with mandatory mask mandates vs. those without them. Physical distancing does. I mean, this has been the Swedish epidemiologists' attitude from the start - physical distancing is important and masks give wearers a false sense of security, whereby they ignore the distancing rules. It was the WHO's attitude from the start, as well as the European one, the American one... It was only after a the Chinese head of epidemiology from Wuhan or somewhere visited Italy and was "appalled" that nobody in Europe was wearing masks that the media picked up on it, started quoting some South Korean epidemiologists, and we all ended up in this mess, because the Chinese are a great fucking role model in 2020. So the idea that masks "probably do slow the spread of the virus" is a potentially life-threatening recommendation given by the medical establishment in cahoots with clueless mini dictators around the world (I don't mean you personally when I say the medical establishment), which has probably contributed to as many if not more deaths as the aggressive ventilation that they did at the start of the pandemic.

Mask come down to the age-old fight between the two. One side sees empathy, the other side sees tyranny. Some anecdotal stuff, I have had contact with 4-5 people who survived Covid. All of those people could be knocked over by a hard wind. I work with geriatrics so I see a lot frail folks. I only see the ones that survive, I understand that dead people don't walk into my door, but these folks were not healthy, older, and had multiple health problems. I did hear from one that his friend in Houston died at age 45 from Covid. I do not know all the circumstances with that case. Now, I have seen and heard this many of times "I do not go out of my house" "did you here___ relapsed" "my friend is in dire-straits with no work" "I have not seen my kids in months." A friend of mine who works at a small bar got Lysol sprayed in his face because a psycho drunk lady thought he needed to wear a mask.

Two points: A person can wear a mask without a government telling them they must. A person who chooses not to wear a mask in public is sending a statement, let that work its self out in the world of public opinion. We as people respond better when our peers guide our behavior and not officials.

We limited the amount of people we could have at our baby shower and I have not been able to see the ultrasound until last week. Of course Newsom does not have to follow his orders, he is above the rest of us. I watch a lot of left-wing news, Morning Joe was hammering Newsom this morning (leftist fighting each other is amusing).

Access Denied

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    jfsully, with his circumscribed mask observations, is like the white blood cell attacking SARS-Cov-2: diligently doing his job, but ignoring externalized costs, and ultimately left with a ravaged environment. That massive external cost is, of course, fear pervading society.
    I’ll accept that. It’s a dirty job, but it has to be done. But seriously, where would you be without the humble, mindless, white blood cell? You’d be like a young John Travolta, stuck in an antiseptic sanitized plastic bubble. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by BMueller View Post
    Mark, why don’t you talk like this all of the time instead of indulging in ridiculous conspiracy theory after ridiculous conspiracy theory? This is much more persuasive, and has the benefit of being a defensible position.
    Do you think these words constitute an argument?

If I may deflect from the election discussion for a second and go back to COVID...

This morning I clicked on the Wifi icon at the top of my screen in order to reconnect. As you know, a list of all local Wifi connections is displayed. One connection listed was:

(((5G CoVid-19 Field Test)))

WTF?!?!?

Sometimes life comes at you fast. They weren't prepared to have their children, pets and lives threatened by the Brownshirts. They failed their rep. They fell down in the face of adversity.

But they got back up. Maybe it's enough.

NewsMax has started filling the void created by Fox: Trump Recount Committee staffer tells Newsmax the server raid was real and raw data showed different - YouTube

And apparently, 40% of the ballots in Manhattan have not been counted yet, 16 days after the "election": New York City Criticized Over Disastrous Election Delays

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    Nice move. I wonder how they’ll handle another chain of command, in parallel?

Vaguely reminds me of something Dick Couch wrote in his book on the special forces. Something like: future conflicts will not be able to be handled remotely, but will require humint and personal interaction.
    My interpretation is: The Lieutenant Alexander Vindmans (aka Deep State) are no longer in charge of our Special Forces. The President now has much more control over this Irregular War against an insurgency and its Color Revolution. He has loyalists in critical positions now. We've seen the 2018 Executive Order that is the keystone for what is about to unfold.

Things are moving fast now. We have a deadline, so finally, it's shit or get off the toilet. As David A Rowe suggested weeks ago, "keep your cars fueled up".

starting strength coach development program
    This is hilarious! One strict new COVID lockdown bans outdoor exercising and dog-walking | Fortune

Marshall said the strain of the virus that’s circulating is “nasty” as many of those infected are not showing any symptoms. He said it was highly likely to be transmitted from surfaces and that the incubation period was as low as 24 hours.

“It’s a real worry, especially because people who become infected are not showing the typical symptoms that we are used to,” he said.
    You guys in Australia have yourselves a serious problem, that has nothing to do with a virus.