starting strength gym
Page 941 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951991104114411941 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,410 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    I refuse to voluntarily enter these COVID-19 rabbit holes. They are not intellectually stimulating, they are not helpful in resolving what is a fundamentally political problem, and they fill me with a deep, unwavering pessimism.
    Oh, I disagree. This one would give you a completely NOVEL perspective on some key points of the Covid farce. Politics galore in this one! But the pessimism might grow at an exponential rate.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    I was thinking it was borrowed money or money created by printing more currency, anyhow investing in counting fish in the gulf and funding for democracy in a feudal system in Pakistan does not appear to be a good investment and buying Russian arms for Egypt, well surely that would be a down right insult to hardworking US citizens.
    Yes, it is. And yet, the insults persist, and have for some time. The slow decline people are noticing more and more recently did not begin yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Let me give you a few examples of how these donations can be set up without legal concerns:

1. This should be occurring on a formal level. If you personally know somebody to donate to, meet with them in person, discuss their future plans and offer to support them with cash contributions.
    This was a very serious typo. It was supposed to read "should not" be occurring on a formal level. The whole point is to have no documentation, no explicit agreements and if possible to maintain at least 2-3 degrees of separation between the donors and the final recipients of the funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I’ve been wondering if anyone has considered the effects of inhibited 02 levels from mask wearing on child growth and development? How about development of a fetus, when the mother is wearing a mask for extended periods of the day?
    The common sense interpretation of the literature is: Even though humans are robust, adaptable creatures with many physiological buffering and compensatory mechanisms to mitigate or negate potential damage, it is generally not desirable to elicit an abnormal physiological response during the development of a fetus or child.

...I refuse to voluntarily enter these COVID-19 rabbit holes. They are not intellectually stimulating, they are not helpful in resolving what is a fundamentally political problem, and they fill me with a deep, unwavering pessimism.
    This is one of the most relatable comments I have seen.

Another interesting article related to current events:

Warren Buffet's father, 4-term congressman Howard Buffet, on why gold-backed currency is essential for the preservation of liberty and to prevent situations like our current one.
    https://freedom-school.com/money/hum...able-money.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What's the mechanism?
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Try rolling a round of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or skating a fast ice hockey shift while wearing a cloth mask, and you may beg to differ.
    The mechanism of why you feel shitty when wearing a mask is probably related to restricted airflow and the perceived effort of breathing. I think that “air hunger” is not usually correlated well with O2 levels unless O2 is severely low. CO2 is more the driver of air hunger.

I can’t access the whole study, but another question comes to mind. How does use of masks for extended periods of time affect your cortisol levels?
    Don’t know, and doubt it would be useful to know.

Thoughts on the results of this study? The participants are not walking on a treadmill.

http://scielo.isciii.es/pdf/neuro/v19n2/3.pdf
    From that study:

Thus it is hard to believe that these masks serve as a reducer of oxygen uptake, but they may be acting as a psychological restriction over spontaneous breathing of the active surgeon.
    I think I agree with that.

The main takeaway (if any, with n=20) is that, while walking at 3.4 miles per hour, wearing a mask consistently increases average heart rate by 10 BPM. (For the record, the participants did not feel much different.)
    That is worrisome - for anyone who actually cares about public health, not just their corner of the hospital. This is yet another misquoted article whose estimation of clinical significance was intended to selectively apply to 0.1% of the population.
    Definitely a study applied here way beyond its purpose, but these are the studies of masks and O2 that we have. There are probably a few more out there.

Wait until you guys look at the evidence on whether surgical masks reduce infection rates in actual surgery. You’ll be demanding your surgeons not wear masks when you go under the knife!

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    The mechanism of why you feel shitty when wearing a mask is probably related to restricted airflow and the perceived effort of breathing. I think that “air hunger” is not usually correlated well with O2 levels unless O2 is severely low. CO2 is more the driver of air hunger.
    Whatever the mechanism, I know working a few hours straight in one of those things definitely had noticeable negative effects. Thankfully a short lunch break in the car without it got me clear of most of them. The headache kinda persisted throughout the day.

Don’t know, and doubt it would be useful to know.

From that study:

I think I agree with that.

Definitely a study applied here way beyond its purpose, but these are the studies of masks and O2 that we have. There are probably a few more out there.

Wait until you guys look at the evidence on whether surgical masks reduce infection rates in actual surgery. You’ll be demanding your surgeons not wear masks when you go under the knife!
    So, for whatever reason, masks reduce your o2 levels, elevate your heart rate and the impaired breathing causes anxiety and likely raises your cortisol levels. Why the fuck do we have children wearing them?

I think that humans are very sensitive to partial pressures of O2 (ratio for sake of argument). I don’t know the physiology but know in the laboratory safety environment O2 sensors are set to alarm when it deviates slightly from 20%. Classical cases involves suffocating when a lot of liquid nitrogen evaporates rapidly. (Same for confined spaces, welding in confined spaces, etc.). It’s often not toxins, it’s suffocation. (Helium oxygen divers may know the requirements too).

I doubt masks can change partial pressure much (altitude doesn’t - just changes amounts). Maybe a very moist mask does? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    The slow decline people are noticing more and more recently did not begin yesterday.
    Are you inferring that even with a Republican Federal Government that there were closet Democrats that are blue on the inside and red on the outside and have been white anting the Trump government and previous conservative governments from the inside?

starting strength coach development program
    Such childlike innocence. Wal, man, c'mon.