starting strength gym
Page 976 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 4768769269669749759769779789861026107614761976 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,760 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Too bad the Epoch Times are such paywall cunts.
    Turn off (temporarily) javascript in your browser, this will deactivate the paywall. In the Opera Browser you can even specify to turn it off for entire websites.

it's absolutely amazing that you can show this type of analysis to people all day, and they still prefer to be scared. It's like everyone is engaged in a planet-wide role-playing game where points are awarded for hysteria.

And this is pretty damned concise: https://twitter.com/i/status/1344730835115675653
    I saw it phrased somewhere as they've made fear a virtue, and in doing so they can only increase fear to become more virtuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post

Fake Virus Rant: righteous indignation meets intelligence

She's right. People are coming to a weight lifting web site to get real advice on what do to when they get sick.
    She probably is right, but not because of her evidence. The probability that her father would have lived if he DIDNT sit in the sun for two hours every day is very high.

Sure, weightlifting (strength training) and Covid (politics) are an odd combination for attracting and retaining a regular audience. I think a lot of us, however, are attracted to reasoning over feeling.

I see a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Leify View Post
    So many voices in this thread are basically that of luddites and would only be satisfied if we were using abacuses, pen, and paper. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the average age of users in here...
    I don't know how old this troll is--and I'm certainly not going to slog through his posts to find out--but it would not surprise me to find out I was programming before he was born.

There are ton of technical people on this site. The cutting edge discussion is why most of us are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    My personal happiness as a result of my dealings with Amazon, is the only metric that I have which I can trust. I also don't see how my not interacting with a clerk at the checkout, is going to have long term social costs. Since the retail person, out of the long chain from raw materiel to finished produce in the store, is the only person I might have any interaction with, I don't see how removing them from the chain is a problem. And frankly, interaction with a store clerk is not something I'll miss. As for the loss of Brick and Mortar stores, fine, they seldom have what I want, which is what has sent me to on-line shopping in the first place. But I really don't think B&M stores are going anywhere, too many people thrive on the energy of in-person shopping.
    I get it. You just want to buy and sell stuff without dealing with actual humans. Lots of people feel this way. This is not a good thing.

I personally cannot see how someone can fail to see how this is a social problem, but then again, I repeatedly find myself expecting people to be better than many of them are.

But I think you're giving Amazon a great deal more credit then they warrant. Look back at Montgomery Wards, and Sears and Roebuck with their catalogs. I would think they had far greater adverse effect on the social interactions of a community, then anything Walmart has or Amazon might do. If you step back and look at it, the catalog sales are responsible, in part, to the destruction of all the crafts of rural America and small town economies.
    I didn't say that this started with Amazons and Walmarts, but their reach is vastly beyond any of the catalog stuff's. And most things, even purely negative ones, can be fairly benign in small and irregular doses.

Amazon is a problem, granted. But Amazon gives billions of people access to the work of hundreds of thousands of small companies they would otherwise not even know existed. Like ours. So the calculation is not as simple as Big = Bad.
    It's a question trajectory. Where it is inevitably going is the issue.

It may have been quite a while before things were more bad than good (On the business end. The social end is already shit due to lots of factors.), but the government created monopolies created by lockdowns and fear have sped up the process. Probably by more than a decade, if I was to guess a concrete number.

I think size is an issue simply because of the ability to essentially box out choice and competition at some point. And I don't even know what sort of "regulations" have come into play thanks to lobbying from folks like them. $15 minimum wage is certainly one that will kill many existing companies and have potential competiton not even being able to get off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Defamation expert attorney L Lin Wood has been on a Twitter tear the last few days. He's making injurious claims against Chief Justice Roberts, Justice Stephen Breyer, Joe Biden, Obama, Clintons, Bill Gates, Mike Pence, Mark Meadows, Pat Cippoloni, Chris Wray, President H.W. Bush, President George W. Bush & George Soros.

So, here is a very wealthy defamation lawyer daring these powerful people to sue him for defamation, and all we hear from them is crickets. I wonder why?
    Almost like folks are afraid of what might come out in discovery or something like that, huh?

So many voices in this thread are basically that of luddites and would only be satisfied if we were using abacuses, pen, and paper. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the average age of users in here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    The generation wars!
    Remind me again what generation brought us the hipsters?

Funny how people are quick to use Luddite as a slur, but have no idea how right or wrong they were.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    It is possible (not saying probable or not probable) that Lin Wood is crazy and the folks you listed are ignoring him.
    Yeah.

I'm sure none of these folks care that, crazy or not, he has a massive audience and is basically offering them free money if he is wrong.

Because that's what people do right? Refuse free money and opportunities to stop people lying about them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I get it. You just want to buy and sell stuff without dealing with actual humans. Lots of people feel this way. This is not a good thing. I personally cannot see how someone can fail to see how this is a social problem, but then again, I repeatedly find myself expecting people to be better than many of them are.
    We have sold 750K books, probably more. Are you suggesting that we should have had to shake hands and take money from 750K individuals? George, you're making me look reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
    Romney is not a Republican and neither are you.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    As a Marxist, how could I be a supporter of the democrat party when that organization exists for the purpose of legitimizing/perpetuating hierarchies premised on accumulated wealth? Basically the entire federal policy program of the progressive wing of the democrat party is engineered to facilitate wealth transfer from poor→rich by

1) guaranteeing lucrative state-commissioned projects for transnational corps (Green New Deal), funded out of the general tax receipts
    2) creating sinecures/doddle-contracts within the realms of academia/public sector for the wealthy ‘educated’ classes, all funded by the general tax receipts (Green New Deal, ‘Diversity training’, etc)
    3) establishing faux-universal gov’t programs that actually disproportionately benefit relatively well-off credentialed professionals and families headed thereby (free college, Universal daycare, et cetera)

At the local level? Worse. The Atlanta City Council, all Democrats occupying what are considered to be VERY safe seats, announced last week that they would be allocating 125K out of the general tax receipts to fund a privatized “supplementary” police force for Buckhead, one of the city’s trendiest and most affluent Northside neighborhoods. Context is important here: Buckhead is not one of the most “high-crime” areas of Atlanta. It isn’t even in the top half. It’s just a little more crime than you might expect, based on the property values and similar metrics. The plan is drawing “only” 125k of public funding at the moment, but the promotional literature it’s architects distribute reports cheerily that they expect to shift the entire financial burden of their special snowflake police force on to Atlantan’s in general in due time. (The Buckhead Security Plan - Executive summary)

Poor people already disproportionately fund municipal police departments, partially as a result of a need to aggressively pursue fees, forfeitures, and fines, created by shoestring budgets drafted with the interests of property owners at heart. Coarse men such as yourselves may see this inequity as the price society must pay for order. Okay. But surely you agree that if these private entities want supplemental policing, then they had better go ahead and buy it themselves, rather than pilfering the municipal budget funded by everybody for everybody’s policing.

Unless the government steps in and provides Amazon special protections, then Amazon is not going to become a monopoly. There is just too many ways to sell a product and there are always going to be people that will sell for less.
    … I don’t know, man. I think the observation you made that Amazon now gets a percentage of hundreds of thousands of small enterprise’s action around the country is discomfiting rather than reassuring to most folks…

I don’t know what you mean by “there will always be people willing to sell for less” either. Colossal firms like Amazon and Wal Mart are best equipped to drive prices down for pretty much any product that isn’t patent-protected… where have all of the people willing to undercut walmart been over the past half-century while it grew notorious for shuttering smaller competitors?

I'm not sure why you think I don't want evidence shown when I explicitly said I want to see it. I would imagine there's an issue with allowing a 3rd party access to ballots and the precedent it sets. Whether that's insurmountable, I don't know, but I have little patience for unsupported accusations. Admittedly, it's a bit of a catch-22.
    Supervising what is done with the things should be simple enough. But again, "unsupported accusations"? That offhand comment about hacking into machines remotely was not the crux of his presentation. He DOES present pretty compelling evidence of at the very least some kind of catastrophic printing error with ballots in heavily-adjudicated areas. I say it looks like it may have been intentional, but at the very least it demonstrates those ballots were fucked up somehow. Could he be faking that whole thing? Sure. But it should be easy to demonstrate he was.

You're not the only one. I cut my teeth on DOS and had my CCNA before I finished high school. That said, most of the discussions in here with regard to tech look very uneducated. Certainly many of the "reports" of fraud involving technology linked throughout this thread do. No technology is perfectly safe. Even strictly analog processes have risk. Any good process is evaluated through risk management routinely to minimize that risk and further audited to look for gaps.
    So then you should know how foolish it is to allow network connections to machines that absolutely do not need them for their function, especially when security is that important.

We have sold 750K books, probably more. Are you suggesting that we should have had to shake hands and take money from 750K individuals? George, you're making me look reasonable.
    My mother told me
    Someday I would buy
    Galleys with good oars
    Sails to distant shores
    My mother told me
    Someday I would buy (buy)
    Galleys with good oars
    Sails to distant shores
    Stand up high in the prow
    Noble barque I steer
    (Steady) steady course for the haven
    Hew many foe-men
    Hew many foe-men
    My mother told me
    Someday I would buy
    Galleys with good oars
    Sails to distant shores
    My mother told me
    Someday I would buy (buy)
    Galleys with good oars
    Sails to distant shores
    Stand up high in the prow
    Noble barque I steer
    (Steady) steady course for the haven
    Hew many foe-men

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Remind me again what generation brought us the hipsters?

Funny how people are quick to use Luddite as a slur, but have no idea how right or wrong they were.
    I don't think hipsters are overall held in high regard among any generation. It's not an aesthetic I appreciated anyway, not that I've met one in the flesh.

My comment wasn't even about hating or shunning all tech as many have taken it, just election tech. The Luddites didn't even dislike all technology, they just didn't like the new industrial revolution tech that was threatening their livelihoods. Insofar as my comment was specifically about election tech you might even draw a positive association with the label here. It wasn't my intent, but whatever.