starting strength gym
Page 1118 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1186181018106811081116111711181119112011281168121816182118 ... LastLast
Results 11,171 to 11,180 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's an interesting paper about the effects of extreme cold on wind turbines: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/re...hite_Paper.pdf

So far, the research in icing seems to have focused on rime ice. This is due maybe because this is a better understood phenomena and also this is the sort of icing occurring where icing on wind turbine is a concern and where research has begun on this subject. Available weather data suggest that this is not necessarily the type of icing most likely to occur in the lower elevations of New England. Therefore, documenting glaze ice on how it forms, its occurrences throughout NewEngland and its impact on the utilities among others, is something that seems valuable to undertake.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    So Fauci et al would have us all inject ourselves with poorly tested vaccines, now Bill wants us all to STOP EATING THE MOST ANABOLIC FOODSTUFF KNOWN TO MAKIND. Can this word get any more insane Rip?

Rich countries should only eat synthetic beef, says Bill Gates | Science & Tech News | Sky News
    Note the bait and switch in his comments:

"He noted one company, Memphis Meats, which actually makes synthetic meat at a cellular level to address this issue, but he said "I don't think that [technique of manufacturing synthetic beef] will ever be economical."

However, he added, companies such as Impossible and Beyond "have a road map, a quality road map and a cost road map, that makes them totally competitive"."

In the interview, he, and then all the headlines, refer to "Synthetic Meat". However, he goes on to state that the Mephis Meats product, which I would consider to be a true synthetic meat, is not economically feasible. In the end, the reality is that he is redefining synthetic meat to include plant-based garbage. No surprise that he and the Gates Foundation are invested in this line of products.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's an interesting paper about the effects of extreme cold on wind turbines: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/labs/re...hite_Paper.pdf
    Seems Texas has the biggest share of the market on wind generation in the US. When your energy market deregulated this is now the outcome you are experiencing. It is all good when the weather is fine, but you get an extreme weather event that is when the system goes down. There is no redundancy in the network for extremes any more so when you have a massive fail, the energy companies want to draw energy though the other states that have thermal power through the inter-connectors to keep the lights on. A poor testimony for the unreliables when compared with reliables such as thermal generation. Fear not though Australia is heading down the same path. Such states as South Australia which has shut down thermal generators has installed a huge Tesla battery powered by wind. SA is now getting an inter-connector built to connect with other states that have thermal power in case the battery fails. A monumental exercise in stupidity.

The best solution for wind generation is to use gas or coal fired generators or even nuclear.

Mark you live on a property I think, if so get the old solid wood fuel stove out and run your hot water circuit though it. You can cook, heat your water and stay warm, that is what we had on the farms here, of course providing you can store up your wood supply in the summer.

Retiring worn-out wind turbines could cost billions that nobody has | Energy Central

Thanks for the help, wal.

Is this Legal? Notice to Job Applicants

"Liberals" are not a "protected class", right?

Coming up on 48 hours without power, but we are better off than most since i have a gas stove and all of my taps are intact.

I Backpacked around Austin this evening for a few hours. Not many people walking about. Everything south of town lake is out of power. Couldn’t find a single grocery store, gas station, or convenience store open downtown. Must have walked 6-7 miles. Roads and sidewalks are treacherous, but i managed not to eat shit on the ice. Finally stopped by a “warming shelter” at the Palmer events center. Place was packed full of homeless, but I scored some cans of soup and took off real fast.

We were fortunate to already have a freezer full of meat and plenty of rice in the cupboard, but I foresee food availability being an issue until these roads are unfucked a bit. Hopefully they’re drivable at some point tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by newguyray View Post
    Note the bait and switch in his comments:

"He noted one company, Memphis Meats, which actually makes synthetic meat at a cellular level to address this issue, but he said "I don't think that [technique of manufacturing synthetic beef] will ever be economical."

However, he added, companies such as Impossible and Beyond "have a road map, a quality road map and a cost road map, that makes them totally competitive"."

In the interview, he, and then all the headlines, refer to "Synthetic Meat". However, he goes on to state that the Mephis Meats product, which I would consider to be a true synthetic meat, is not economically feasible. In the end, the reality is that he is redefining synthetic meat to include plant-based garbage. No surprise that he and the Gates Foundation are invested in this line of products.
    We all know that money can’t buy class, genetics or wisdom, even if it does cushion the disappointments. And also given that at funerals, the bank balance of the deceased is never usually given headline air time. Thus: Bill Gates is, was and always will be an anaemic little nerd whose face looks like a dehydrated salami. A physical retard and rank hypocrite in terms of genetics and code of honour. Fuck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    I don't see how it didn't age well. I still haven't changed my mind. I can't speak for Rip, but I doubt he has changed his either. Lockdowns are still authoritarian and unconstitutional. No amount of deaths will ever justify the violation of civil liberty we have witnessed this year.
    You sarcastically said "two more weeks, you' see rip".

In about two weeks from that post, your excess deaths peaked way above the normal rate of death....about +20% so.
    Quite the event, looking and the historical averages and previous highs and low range there.
    Note I'm not saying C19-deaths (can't say they filling out death certificates wrong or something like that).

I'm not pro-lockdown, or even about trying to "Save" all these lives.
    But its fun to go through this thread and see where people were dismissing it as the flu, and/or a hoax .... back when there was 500 or 5000 deaths, and people were saying that was insignificant and those numbers were nothing.

-------------------------

With regards to the wind turbine thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Annino View Post
    I just found it amusing to see fossil fuel being wasted to maintain "green" energy.
    Yeah, wind turbines are a joke really ... long term.
    But that picture circulating is from 2014, and from Sweden, and has nothing to with Texas's current grid problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Is this Legal? Notice to Job Applicants

"Liberals" are not a "protected class", right?
    Honestly, with the shit the banks and big tech are pulling, political alignment should in fact be considered a protected class.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Did they make the tests gender neutral at some point? I remember when (90's) the requirement for ROTC was three pullups for men and a 30 second-ish hang from the top position for women. Always thought that this was rediculous until they could get the bullets to slow down and the gear to weigh less for women.
    That was the plan, Gender and age-neutral test based on your MOS. The test is here, but it doesn't count against you if you fail.

And a correction on my part: While the 3 event test has changed over the years, a 56 year old male (14:42) still has to run faster then a 18 old female (15:36) to receive a score of 100.