starting strength gym
Page 1148 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1486481048109811381146114711481149115011581198124816482148 ... LastLast
Results 11,471 to 11,480 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There's been so much hair-splitting about this mess, I'm surprised there's any left. And we do know that the severity is far less for the young. Taleb, who loves to argue about logical reasoning, seems to be making the blue-pilled error of counting too few anecdotes as data.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think he is. He just enjoys the idea of being morally superior to Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence.
    And intellectually, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    There's been so much hair-splitting about this mess, I'm surprised there's any left. And we do know that the severity is far less for the young. Taleb, who loves to argue about logical reasoning, seems to be making the blue-pilled error of counting too few anecdotes as data.
    It's interesting that he accepts the 500K number as a data point. Just a couple of weeks ago it was 300K. When will they bump it up to 1 million? When it becomes useful to maintain control.

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    So what do you believe in?

I believe that individual rights are primary. That societal rights are a consequence.

I also believe in American exceptionalism. Admittedly things have gotten out of whack quickly, but I believe that is an artifact of technology changing so much faster than biological evolution and from people not having sufficient pressure to worry about more serious issues.

Where's all that March 4 violence that the fake news just made up again?

I never would have taken Hurling as a monarchist.
    Heh. I'm not. But IMO, Jefferson was a founder of the Deep State. He had doublespeak down to an art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think he is. He just enjoys the idea of being morally superior to Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence.
    Jefferson was a reprobate on a number of levels, personally and otherwise.

He made a feeble attempt at seducing his neighbor's wife early on. His DNA is all over the backstory leading up to provoking the Hamilton/Burr duel. Then he tried Burr for treason and muffed that. He professed friendship for George Rogers Clark but let him die in poverty for because he would do nothing to honor the debts he incurred during the Western Campaign in Illinois and Indiana during the Revolution when he seized Kaskaskia and Vincennes from the Brits. Then he pulled the same shit when Meriwether Lewis incurred debts when he and Clark's younger brother set off to explore the Louisiana Purchase.

He was good with words. But like Nixon's boy Haldeman said, "Watch what we do, not what we say." His deeds spoke more loudly for me.

And intellectually, too.
    Nope. Jefferson was smarter. But intelligence that is not backed by integrity is nothing to aspire to.

And we do know that the severity is far less for the young. Taleb, who loves to argue about logical reasoning, seems to be making the blue-pilled error of counting too few anecdotes as data.
    I could focus on the word "necessarily" and cut him some slack, but he knows full well the rhetorical effect he is trying to produce. He is playing for Team Fear, and I would like to know why. This one is also a real doozy. He consciously insisted on using the word "million". That is fear propaganda.

He's also selectively appealing to the collective and the individual. It could very well be antifragile to burn the dead wood of people susceptible to a novel, low fatality rate virus that mostly affects the elderly--as long as that loss does not weaken the collective more than the hassle of accommodating them did. It's just not a very nice thing to say in polite company. If the virus was killing mostly children at similar rates, the calculus might change because the collective psychological effects would be far worse. He never talks about any of this.

I think we're going to have to seriously consider the possibility that fear or brown people moving into our neighborhoods is not as terrifying to everyone else as it is to you, Matt. Nazis don't win elections. They have been allowed to try for decades. They are not popular. There is no conspiracy needed to keep them out of power. The silent majority does not secretly agree with you that race is a really important, really fundamental aspect of a persons existence. It's all in your head, man.

You need to go back and read the updates on "Bowling Alone" and what the statistics truly showed were the causal factor in the destruction of the social fabric: then you'll ask WHOSE fear of WHAT caused Putnam to be at first be so disingenuos about the findings of his research, and for so many years.

Or, if that's too academic and theoretical for you, let's get real, Hagh: in what ZIP codes did YOU grow up and go to school, who were YOUR neighbors and classmates, to make such an ignorant statement about the effect of cultures (race) on a person's existence? (Mine were an urban inner (inside the Beltway) suburb of DC, and schools in even rougher zip codes, thanks to busing and the TAG programs tricking the middle class into sending their children to these public schools, which probably was part of some real-life ivory-tower social experiment)

starting strength coach development program
    But met me be clear: equality of opportunity is my goal. Equity in certain spheres THROUGH CHILDHOOD is an essential part of that. I believe in equality of opportunity. I believe in the political project of my ancestors. You don't.
    OK, lets use your stated goal (Im even open to you refining it if there is a grammatical mistake etc so long as you clearly restate). This clearly leads to the questions about which 'spheres' and when does 'childhood' end. I assume that education is one of the spheres, but where does education start and finish? Is it traditional 3Rs, does it include sports (including expensive ones), does it include music (and if so does it include a 'free' piano for home practice), does it include being well fed and rested to be able to learn, does it include homework supervision, does it include the value of role modelled behaviour of parents etc. What does this effectively forbid, as a parent am I allowed to pay for a private tutor because that could create a more inequality of outcome.

What does having equity to achieve equality of opportunity really mean - literally does it mean everyone has the same chance of achieving a given outcome by more support/less being provided? If sport is included do we have to coach the unathletic kid that wants to be like Michael Jordan more so he can try to keep up with people a foot taller with twice the SVJ.

Sure, Im asking about the extreme scenario, but to avoid that you have to clearly limit what you really mean in practice.