starting strength gym
Page 1150 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1506501050110011401148114911501151115211601200125016502150 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,500 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    I think we're going to have to seriously consider the possibility that fear or brown people moving into our neighborhoods is not as terrifying to everyone else as it is to you, Matt. Nazis don't win elections. They have been allowed to try for decades. They are not popular. There is no conspiracy needed to keep them out of power. The silent majority does not secretly agree with you that race is a really important, really fundamental aspect of a persons existence. It's all in your head, man.
    "Fear of brown people moving into our neighbourhoods" is a very cute way of describing demographic replacement. If everything you said is true, then surely in a healthy DeMoCrAcY then the masses would be able to decide this for themselves without state intervention? If European states are censoring certain political views, and not others, then clearly there is a conspiracy. Nobody has prevented the Libertarian Party (UK) from running in elections, and neither the party or its ideas are "popular" either.

A lack of popularity with the masses in 2021, and with the progressive neoliberal establishment itself, is hardly a condemnation of my views.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I believe that individual rights are primary. That societal rights are a consequence.

I also believe in American exceptionalism. Admittedly things have gotten out of whack quickly, but I believe that is an artifact of technology changing so much faster than biological evolution and from people not having sufficient pressure to worry about more serious issues.
    Exactly. Individual rights are primary. The individual is the ultimate minority. That’s why you have to guarantee people stuff on a universal basis. We’re getting somewhere, Barry.

I have only heard the term “American exceptionalism” as used by right-wing globalists trying to convince post-fighting-age elements of the electorate that Vietnam and Iraq were reasonable strategic decisions rather than moral travesties, because U.S. children have a special responsibility to fight foreign wars.

Maybe you can explain to me why I should have more respect for people who use the term as a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post

He's also selectively appealing to the collective and the individual. It could very well be antifragile to burn the dead wood of people susceptible to a novel, low fatality rate virus that mostly affects the elderly--as long as that loss does not weaken the collective more than the hassle of accommodating them did.
    Congratulations—you’re chinese. This ‘all in service of the collective’ attitude is not American or White, period. We privilege freedom of choice at an individual level over the optimization of circumstances for the collective. Euthanizing the mentally disabled (Japan/Germany)? Flogging/mutilating children to scare peers into acceding to social norms (Iran/SaudiArabia)? Denying your own population the right to vote because they may approve something that runs counter to the interests of the state-directed corporate oligopoly, upon whose success the entire nation’s material well-being is premised (China)? That’s not us. We make sacrifices so that even the lowest among us can be guaranteed basic rights and dignities, because we see same as a good in and of itself. Get with the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    You need to go back and read the updates on "Bowling Alone" and what the statistics truly showed were the causal factor in the destruction of the social fabric: then you'll ask WHOSE fear of WHAT caused Putnam to be at first be so disingenuos about the findings of his research, and for so many years.

Or, if that's too academic and theoretical for you, let's get real, Hagh: in what ZIP codes did YOU grow up and go to school, who were YOUR neighbors and classmates, to make such an ignorant statement about the effect of cultures (race) on a person's existence? (Mine were an urban inner (inside the Beltway) suburb of DC, and schools in even rougher zip codes, thanks to busing and the TAG programs tricking the middle class into sending their children to these public schools, which probably was part of some real-life ivory-tower social experiment)
    Putnam has been researching for a long time, Nick… and he’s been disingenuous for longer. Link me to something specific?

I think that conflating culture with race is a big mistake, though. Not such a big mistake a few hundred years ago, perhaps, but after centuries of global European domination, the story is much more complicated.

I went to public school in central Florida. I had lots of black classmates, too. I’m still not an apartheidist, and neither are the vast, vast majority of Americans who interact with the black, brown, and yellow people of the world every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    OK, lets use your stated goal (Im even open to you refining it if there is a grammatical mistake etc so long as you clearly restate). This clearly leads to the questions about which 'spheres' and when does 'childhood' end. I assume that education is one of the spheres, but where does education start and finish? Is it traditional 3Rs, does it include sports (including expensive ones), does it include music (and if so does it include a 'free' piano for home practice), does it include being well fed and rested to be able to learn, does it include homework supervision, does it include the value of role modelled behaviour of parents etc. What does this effectively forbid, as a parent am I allowed to pay for a private tutor because that could create a more inequality of outcome.

What does having equity to achieve equality of opportunity really mean - literally does it mean everyone has the same chance of achieving a given outcome by more support/less being provided? If sport is included do we have to coach the unathletic kid that wants to be like Michael Jordan more so he can try to keep up with people a foot taller with twice the SVJ.

Sure, Im asking about the extreme scenario, but to avoid that you have to clearly limit what you really mean in practice.
    At the moment, the age of adulthood is 18. If the population votes to move it up or down, so be it. At the moment, education contains only a very modest sports/music component. If the electorate votes to change it, so be it. My proposal does not ‘forbid’ anything. The object is to raise the floor on educational opportunity and quality of life for children in this country. Keeping the ceiling low is not an end in and of itself.

Hierarchy cannot be eliminated. Some people are, in an agonizingly real sense, simply worse than others at everything, and these people will always suffer. But the least we can do is give them a puncher’s chance at beating the odds.

I'd suspect Gates aim is the following

What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet? | Computing | The Guardian

In the interest of an aging rich & powerful world elite promoting business people like Musk you naturally have to think it's on their agenda.

Here's an interesting character that is heavily researching this area amongst many others; neuro scientist Dr James Giodarno of Georgetown University. This speed talking New Yorker has a lot to say on the brain, mind, manipulation and Weapons of Mass Disruption. He's open about his connections to the DARPA and the EU. Plenty of interesting lectures by him on YT.

Example on Pandemics watch from 33:30

Dr. James Giordano: The Brain is the Battlefield of the Future - YouTube

Example of the "new normal", watch from 17:10

James Giordano October - YouTube

Exactly. Individual rights are primary. The individual is the ultimate minority. That’s why you have to guarantee people stuff on a universal basis. We’re getting somewhere, Barry.
    Stuff? Like free doctor visits, or the right to self-defense?

I have only heard the term “American exceptionalism” as used by right-wing globalists trying to convince post-fighting-age elements of the electorate that Vietnam and Iraq were reasonable strategic decisions rather than moral travesties, because U.S. children have a special responsibility to fight foreign wars.
    You have only heard the term associated with something you don't like? Therefore, that is what the term means?

Maybe you can explain to me why I should have more respect for people who use the term as a positive.
    Maybe other people mean something different than your little straw-man definition when they use the term?

Congratulations—you’re chinese. This ‘all in service of the collective’ attitude is not American or White, period.
    He didn't say it was. This is your assertion, stated in a way designed to accept the assertion as fact. They must teach this in your Mass-Comm classes now.

Putnam has been researching for a long time, Nick… and he’s been disingenuous for longer. Link me to something specific?
    How about you link to something that actually supports this assertion, since you asserted it, instead of asking him to do the work?

I think that conflating culture with race is a big mistake, though. Not such a big mistake a few hundred years ago, perhaps, but after centuries of global European domination, the story is much more complicated.
    Are you actually stating, or even trying to imply, that culture is not associated with race??? That an Arab raised in Mecca won't have a different set of values obtained from his mono-racial culture than an Arab raised in Ft. Worth?

I went to public school in central Florida. I had lots of black classmates, too. I’m still not an apartheidist, and neither are the vast, vast majority of Americans who interact with the black, brown, and yellow people of the world every day.
    We all did. This is why Racism is the most towering straw man of the modern era, second to absolutely nothing else.

At the moment, the age of adulthood is 18. If the population votes to move it up or down, so be it.
    At the moment, and for every moment in human history, the age of adulthood is a highly individual matter, and government edicts do not create adults out of children, despite your confident assertion.

At the moment, education contains only a very modest sports/music component.
    This also depends on why you go to school, and what you choose to do in that school, despite your confident assertion.

If the electorate votes to change it, so be it. My proposal does not ‘forbid’ anything.
    How kind of you!

The object is to raise the floor on educational opportunity and quality of life for children in this country. Keeping the ceiling low is not an end in and of itself.
    And whose job is that? "Ours"?

Hierarchy cannot be eliminated. Some people are, in an agonizingly real sense, simply worse than others at everything, and these people will always suffer. But the least we can do is give them a puncher’s chance at beating the odds.
    You are truly a propaganda-trained piece of shit. Do you fail to appreciate that since the Johnson administration many MANY trillions of dollars have been transferred to these people, and they have a better chance of beating the odds here than anywhere else in the world, and yet they remain worse than other at everything, so what did the money buy? More pieces of shit like you, is what it bought.

He must work for CNN. Notice the pattern of this dipshit's posts? This is the last one I will do for you, so it's now somebody else's job to point out the straw men -- if you guys want to keep reading his propaganda.

An individual is, by definition, distinct from a group. Unlike race, or size, or any characteristic you choose to group people into.

The assertion that the individual is the ultimate minority is nonsense, Hag.

Leftists will say anything to accomplish their propaganda.

And if you were trying to decide who to do business with, this piece may be helpful: 13 Woke Corporations Fighting Back Again

AND, this is amazing:
    Climate freaks force Miami Beach to remove over 1500 iconic Palm Trees… – CITIZEN FREE PRESS

These idiots want to spend millions of dollars replacing one species of tree with another, on property that will be underwater within 9 years anyway. Or is it 7? I smell a large contract.st Texas Mask Mandate Repeal

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;1806286] Stuff? Like free doctor visits, or the right to self-defense?

Both.

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;1806286] You have only heard the term associated with something you don't like? Therefore, that is what the term means?

I never said it was the only valid definition of the word.

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;1806286] Maybe other people mean something different than your little straw-man definition when they use the term?

Come on, Rip… I literally asked him to clarify what he meant in the exact goddamn post you’re quoting!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He didn't say it was. This is your assertion, stated in a way designed to accept the assertion as fact. They must teach this in your Mass-Comm classes now.
    It’s my assertion—you’re goddamned right.

How about you link to something that actually supports this assertion, since you asserted it, instead of asking him to do the work?
    I thought Bowling Alone was about how weakening civic institutions had created a new sense of social isolation felt at the level of the community. I didn’t know it had much to do with race, which is what Nicholas seemed to be driving at. Was this not really what he was driving at in the post I quoted?

Are you actually stating, or even trying to imply, that culture is not associated with race??? That an Arab raised in Mecca won't have a different set of values obtained from his mono-racial culture than an Arab raised in Ft. Worth?
    What I am trying to imply is that the pressures of existence have selected for non-white individuals and aspects of non-white culture that are most compatible with white culture over the past several centuries, owing to the fact that the non-white people of the world were subjugated during that time period and have had moral/political/social ways of being imposed upon them that may be at odds with those that arose organically in their native homelands.

We all did. This is why Racism is the most towering straw man of the modern era, second to absolutely nothing else.
    Agree. But not all of your forum does.

At the moment, and for every moment in human history, the age of adulthood is a highly individual matter, and government edicts do not create adults out of children, despite your confident assertion.
    I was expressing my thoughts about the way the age of adulthood should be determined for the purposes of public policy.

This also depends on why you go to school, and what you choose to do in that school, despite your confident assertion.
    Yes, there are specialty primary schools that have unusual curricula focused on sports and music. I worked at one of them until last year. The public school curriculum does not have nearly as much variance. There are no public high schools anywhere in the country that spend as much time on sports as they do on math. Even if you can find some obscure counterexample, what is the upshot of this point that you have raised?

And whose job is that? "Ours"?
    Yep.

You are truly a propaganda-trained piece of shit. Do you fail to appreciate that since the Johnson administration many MANY trillions of dollars have been transferred to these people, and they have a better chance of beating the odds here than anywhere else in the world, and yet they remain worse than other at everything, so what did the money buy? More pieces of shit like you, is what it bought.
    People will not always be able to contribute to enhancing your life, Rip. I’m still going to be sitting right here, trying to get them a doctor’s appointment.

This guy has a really good point. Cancel culture is societal cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewG View Post
    It is. You can find other Davos-types saying similar. Somewhere in Stephen Wolfram’s talks, he refers to a future with “a trillion souls (willingly) in a ‘box’”

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    This guy has a really good point. Cancel culture is societal cancer.
    Only for the wrong culture.