starting strength gym
Page 1151 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 1516511051110111411149115011511152115311611201125116512151 ... LastLast
Results 11,501 to 11,510 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    An individual is, by definition, distinct from a group. Unlike race, or size, or any characteristic you choose to group people into.

The assertion that the individual is the ultimate minority is nonsense, Hag.
    Groups are definitionally comprised of individuals. What's the upshot? We both support robust individual rights, right? Rights guaranteed to individuals as such, right? Explain to me how we're in conflict on this, Barry, and explain to me what American Exceptionalism means.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    "Fear of brown people moving into our neighbourhoods" is a very cute way of describing demographic replacement. If everything you said is true, then surely in a healthy DeMoCrAcY then the masses would be able to decide this for themselves without state intervention? If European states are censoring certain political views, and not others, then clearly there is a conspiracy. Nobody has prevented the Libertarian Party (UK) from running in elections, and neither the party or its ideas are "popular" either.

A lack of popularity with the masses in 2021, and with the progressive neoliberal establishment itself, is hardly a condemnation of my views.
    Because Nazis are so enormously, grotesquely unpopular, the revulsion ordinary people feel at the sight of them is so deep and strong, that centrist politicians can score points by literally scrubbing the public discourse of they and their ideas.

You mentioned in an earlier post that the conservatives were responding with feeble protestations about Nazi parties getting banned. Got any evidence that there was even that much pushback? Which right-ish figures in the UK issued a statement that amounted to 'imagine if they we were doing it to them', tacitly acknowledging that they are, in a sense on the same 'side' as the Nazis?

Quote Originally Posted by Haghstull View Post
    Groups are definitionally comprised of individuals. What's the upshot? We both support robust individual rights, right? Rights guaranteed to individuals as such, right? Explain to me how we're in conflict on this, Barry, and explain to me what American Exceptionalism means.
    What's your hourly rate, Barry?

Because Nazis are so enormously, grotesquely unpopular, the revulsion ordinary people feel at the sight of them is so deep and strong, that centrist politicians can score points by literally scrubbing the public discourse of they and their ideas. You mentioned in an earlier post that the conservatives were responding with feeble protestations about Nazi parties getting banned. Got any evidence that there was even that much pushback? Which right-ish figures in the UK issued a statement that amounted to 'imagine if they we were doing it to them', tacitly acknowledging that they are, in a sense on the same 'side' as the Nazis?
    Why is is necessary to reaffirm condemnation of Nazis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Why is is necessary to reaffirm condemnation of Nazis?
    I don't think it's 'necessary'. I'm pointing out that it is popular, which I think explains why everyone who actually wins elections does it.

You can ask me one question at a time. It has to be a question you want to know the answer to. If it is a legitimate question, I'll give you a legitimate answer followed by a question of my own.

Because Nazis are so enormously, grotesquely unpopular, the revulsion ordinary people feel at the sight of them is so deep and strong, that centrist politicians can score points by literally scrubbing the public discourse of they and their ideas.
    That's a hot take. I was under the impression these European nationalistic, ethnocentric political parties were being banned/censored because their ideas had gained in popularity (albeit wavering after the pandemic) after the 2015-16 European "migrant crisis" (read: progressive neoliberal politicians imported millions of economic migrants from Africa and the Middle East).

Should we assume that progressive Big Tech is currently purging their social media platforms of politically right-leaning users and their discourse (in addition to COVID-19 sceptics) in order to similarly earn brownie points with their deracinated, progressive consumer base? Is there really no political agenda or "conspiracy" at play?

I don't think it's 'necessary'. I'm pointing out that it is popular, which I think explains why everyone who actually wins elections does it.
    You seem to be infatuated with "popularity."

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I recently started investing in crypto, especially in the Cardano project, mainly because of one of its founders, and former co-founder of Ethereum, Charles Hoskinson, and his vision. Today out of nowhere he posted this video on youtube talking about lockdowns, I think most people here share the same thoughts and I really hope this man can improve the world somehow.

Some real talk about Lockdowns - YouTube
    This is excellent; thanks for posting. If only Washington were filled with guys like him.

I asked my wife if she'd heard of Charles Hoskinson. She smirked and reminded me that we are holding his cryptos (both Eth & Ada) we bought years ago after listening to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    I have to question how much I actually know about the man and his intentions.
    There are rumors everywhere:
    -Elon Musk has publicly speculated that Bill is being extorted
    -Alex Jones has made some type of claim about Bill's NAZI connections
    -Bill has been connected with Epstein and countless other high-profile figures

In terms of Bill's actions, I have seen:
    -He is generous in giving back to his community and local organizations
    -He is a ruthless businessman
    -He is pushing global immunization and tracking programs
    -He is a leading advocate for radical and irrational climate change intervention
    -He has potentially done a large amount of good through his philanthropic organizations; It would not be good for anybody if the population of Africa explodes to 3 billion or the population of India rapidly doubles to 2.5 billion. If Gates has successfully prevented or delayed either of these two disasters, he deserves a huge amount of credit.

I do not know anything about his physical or mental health.

Several years ago I stood next to him in line at a fast food burger place. He was alone, without any security, but he looked relaxed and comfortable. There were probably 30 people there, but nobody said anything or paid much attention to him. I also acted like he was just another person I didn't recognize or care about. I wonder if he would be able to do the same today or if the lockdowns have also, in a way, restricted his freedom and imprisoned him.

I don't think I know enough to even begin to judge him, but I do know enough to fear some of the programs he supports.
    You forgot to mention he drinks a dozen diet cokes a day, when coke zero tastes WAY better. Sure sign of a madman.

At the moment, the age of adulthood is 18. If the population votes to move it up or down, so be it. At the moment, education contains only a very modest sports/music component. If the electorate votes to change it, so be it.
    You have gone from your grand sounding principle of equity of opportunity, to not being able to define what you believe it means, to falling back on the current situation unless the electorate votes to chance it. What do you believe?

My proposal does not ‘forbid’ anything. The object is to raise the floor on educational opportunity and quality of life for children in this country. Keeping the ceiling low is not an end in and of itself.
    Well the floor is set at the current level unless the electorate votes to change it by your previous logic so lets just go with that! By not limiting the ceiling inequity is perpetuated because children of privilege will be, well, privileged (though I'm glad you agree to that).

Hierarchy cannot be eliminated. Some people are, in an agonizingly real sense, simply worse than others at everything, and these people will always suffer. But the least we can do is give them a puncher’s chance at beating the odds.
    Are these people that are worse at everything your children of opportunity? How do you decide how much to help, and do they really get much of a chance - the world still needs people in the poorly paid menial jobs (refer Iron Law of Wages). Spending more to improve these peoples math/writing will not substantially change their life outcomes.

I would have thought you would be more worried about equity for those that from a disadvantaged background, missing out on this potential talent does cost them and society. I don’t think you deeply understand the principle you are arguing and its consequences of its different implementations.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post

I don’t think you deeply understand the principle you are arguing and its consequences of its different implementations.
    Hag wants the theory to match the narrative, not the other way around. It's a very common mistake.