starting strength gym
Page 1196 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 1966961096114611861194119511961197119812061246129616962196 ... LastLast
Results 11,951 to 11,960 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, Robin. Just sit on your couch and enjoy your safety.
    As you’ve seen from previous posts, I’ve criticised the UK severely for its flaws.

But I also appreciate the UK’s relatively low murder rate. It gives one a better chance of being alive because the last time I checked, dead people can’t do very much about anything, and most people appreciate not being murdered.

To clarify: would you enjoy it if the USA had a lower murder rate than it currently does - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Not being murdered I think is a pretty important metric to most people. Both countries are fucked at the moment Rip, there are no winners here. Like I said, at least we are not French or Canadian - and that’s a huge win for any sane human!
    All you have to do is not live in a handful of areas and the murder rate is not really a problem.

Why is the UK more fucked Jovan? Both the UK and the USA are modern powerful western democracies and people generally prefer to stay alive than being murdered - and they have a better chance of the former in the UK. If the higher statistical probability of you being murdered in the USA makes you happy, fine by me.
    Dude, your country is closed indefinitely.

Not being murdered I think is a pretty important metric to most people. Both countries are fucked at the moment Rip, there are no winners here. Like I said, at least we are not French or Canadian - and that’s a huge win for any sane human!
    Do you realize how large the US is? It's two orders of magnitude larger than the UK by habitable landmass. It's not a homogeneous country. New Hampshire, Texas, and Wisconsin might as well be different countries culturally. It's not like you step off the plane in Houston and you're suddenly subjected to 5 murders/100,000 people.

You also have to consider why someone is murdered. People who don't sell/buy illegal products and who aren't in gangs get murdered a lot less often. It does happen, but not nearly at the same rate.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    US murder rates would be quite similar to European murder rates if you normalize for the racial demographics of the European country you are comparing to. Even completely libtarded Portland's murder rate has been significantly lower than the US average (at least until everyone started showing up for last year's party). Compare that to cities like Oakland or Atlanta.
    This is the point people rarely mention when discussing the "gun violence problem" the US has. Look at who is committing a disproportionate amount of the gun violence and rephrase the question accordingly.

Having the attitude that being a cowed subject is somehow better than risk of death is awful.

It’s so foreign to our way of viewing the world ...that balance never ever even occurs to us.

And also why the people of the USA are continually the ones the whole world looks to hoping for protection and rescue from tyranny.

I’ve not yet met a Canadian, Brit or any European that understands us, gave up long ago trying to explain freedom to a people that don’t have a clue what freedom even means.

What mechanisms does the USA have to walk their murder victims back to life?
    The x4 murder rate statistic was per capita, Jenni. And last time I checked, I think Islamists constitute a bigger threat to US National Security than the UK’s given the couple of towers of yours that fell over on 9/11 killing a few thousand people. Run along and make the tea now, there’s a good girl and let the adults carry on talking.

....and yet there you are, not wearing a mask in a country where you’re four times more likely to get murdered than mine. What mechanism do you have to walk all your murder victims back to life?
    Not being murdered I think is a pretty important metric to most people.
    But I also appreciate the UK’s relatively low murder rate. It gives one a better chance of being alive because the last time I checked, dead people can’t do very much about anything, and most people appreciate not being murdered.

To clarify: would you enjoy it if the USA had a lower murder rate than it currently does - yes or no?
    No, Robin, you poor scared thing. I'd much rather take the miniscule chance of not being able to defend my armed self from a murderer than be in a large totalitarian prison I could not leave.

The UK's murder rate is 2.26 times higher than China's.

The US's per capita GDP is 1.42 times higher than the UK's.

And even though her majesty doesn't like to release the numbers, the UK is booming with rape these days. ONS estimates put the number at 169 rapes per 1,000 population, making it nearly 3 times higher than any other country in the world, 99% of which result in no legal proceedings against alleged attackers.

Numbers are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by William Dotson View Post
    And even though her majesty doesn't like to release the numbers, the UK is booming with rape these days. ONS estimates put the number at 169 rapes per 1,000 population, making it nearly 3 times higher than any other country in the world, 99% of which result in no legal proceedings against alleged attackers.
    Rape culture, I suppose. I wonder who could be committing these crimes?

starting strength coach development program
    US overlayed on Europe: https://i.imgur.com/fi6BB8w.png

Let's blame Maine for gang murders in Los Angeles.

This is like counting the murder rate in Syria in with the UK's.

They have nothing to do with each other. US crime prevention is mostly on the state and city level.

You can be in the vast majority of the US with zero concern even in the "dangerous" cities because you're not part of the demographic that kills and gets killed.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rape culture, I suppose. I wonder who could be committing these crimes?
    Racial murders: nearly half the victims are white | UK news | The Guardian

I wonder if the corrupt Guardian realizes they still have this 2006 article up.

Nearly half of all victims of racially motivated murders in the last decade have been white, according to official figures released by the Home Office.

Senior police officers have admitted that 'political correctness' and the fear of discussing the issue have meant that race crime against white people goes under-reported. One chief constable has claimed that white, working-class men are more alienated than the Muslim community.

'The political correctness and reluctance to discuss these things absolutely does play a factor', he said. 'A lot of police officers and other professions feel almost the best thing to do is try and avoid it for fear of being criticised. We probably have all got ourselves into a bit of state about this.

Peter Fahy, the Chief Constable of Cheshire and a spokesman on race issues for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said it was a fact that it was harder to get the media interested where murder victims were young white men.