starting strength gym
Page 1198 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 1986981098114811881196119711981199120012081248129816982198 ... LastLast
Results 11,971 to 11,980 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    ...the last box of ammo at academy sports.
    Fake news. There is no more ammo on the open market.

Well, maybe a soggy box of hollow-points.

Let’s grow the shotgun collection. Shells are not like mosquito tears. And the Keltec KSG bullpup is concealable.

(The iron-scraper fellow should fork a version for ammo. )

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Do you means Australia or Afghanistan?
    He means Austin, TX.

And just in case you missed this the first time: So You Want To Believe The So-Called 'Experts'? in [Market-Ticker]

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Dude, your country is closed indefinitely.
    No Jovan, the UK coronavirus bill legislation expires in one year, hardly anyone is wearing masks outside, the vaccination refusal rate is high, many defy the order in areas they are told to wear a mask and thousands of people are still going on holiday in the UK thus circumnavigating the travel restrictions by booking appointments to view a property for intended purchase abroad which they never intend to attend.

What IS closed indefinitely are the lives of your many, many murder victims and all abortion clinics in Alabama. Cool.

Just so's you'll know, we will not let this thread drift into abortion. Stop right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you realize how large the US is? It's two orders of magnitude larger than the UK by habitable landmass. It's not a homogeneous country. New Hampshire, Texas, and Wisconsin might as well be different countries culturally. It's not like you step off the plane in Houston and you're suddenly subjected to 5 murders/100,000 people.

You also have to consider why someone is murdered. People who don't sell/buy illegal products and who aren't in gangs get murdered a lot less often. It does happen, but not nearly at the same rate.
    Yes, the USA sure is an obese, sorry, large country.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just so's you'll know, we will not let this thread drift into abortion. Stop right now.
    Ah, freedom.

No, Robin, you poor scared thing. I'd much rather take the miniscule chance of not being able to defend my armed self from a murderer than be in a large totalitarian prison I could not leave.
    Said every murdered person who thought their chance of being murdered was miniscule.

Quote Originally Posted by William Dotson View Post
    The UK's murder rate is 2.26 times higher than China's.

The US's per capita GDP is 1.42 times higher than the UK's.

And even though her majesty doesn't like to release the numbers, the UK is booming with rape these days. ONS estimates put the number at 169 rapes per 1,000 population, making it nearly 3 times higher than any other country in the world, 99% of which result in no legal proceedings against alleged attackers.

Numbers are fun.
    So your argument is “estimates” about rapes that never went to court, thus aren’t even proven rapes? Yes, your numbers sure are fun.

Rape culture, I suppose. I wonder who could be committing these crimes?
    Yes, I also wonder who is committing these guessed “crime” numbers that never even made it to court, thus are not “crimes”. The hard truth of the matter is that the vast majority of rape cases quite rightly don’t make it to court because the evidence is usually either seriously flawed or fabricated by the alleged victims.

Quote Originally Posted by strongmonkey View Post
    Importing millions of people into the UK from shithole countries where a rape culture actually exists probably didn't help too much.
    Just like the millions of guns which account for the vast majority of the USA’s comparatively high homicide rate didn’t help too much with said murder rate. We are where we are.

Robin, if you or anyone else thinks this is about finding cute ways to circumvent these "temporary" restrictions, and not wear a mask, or avoid the £5000 foreign vacation fine, you've got another think coming. This expansion of the surveillance state and the whole vaccine ID system has absolutely nothing to do with a gay little virus. It's the blueprint for what's coming next, they have tested our compliance, and we've already demonstrate we are at best ambivalent about it it all and we've accepted being "under lockdown" (a term reserved for prisoners in jail) with a typically British blitz-spirit stiff upper lip. The fact you seem quite proud about us plucky Brits finding creative ways to flout "the restrictions" shows that you have been psychologically conditioned already.

The UK is objectively worse than the US in many ways.

Jenni's right, It IS being Islam-ified. Ethnically European Brits are set to be a minority by ~2060. However, the "Islamists" are not the ones who began or continued this process of mass immigration. Neither are "The communists" to blame. The CONSERVATIVE UK gov just issued it's second Sharia-compliant bond, a Sukuk, to the tune of £500 million. "increasing the supply of high-quality Sharia compliant, liquid assets to the market and supporting the development of Islamic finance products in the UK." The CONVERSATIVE government is also responsible for the biggest influx of non-European LEGAL migrants, ever, on record.

There ARE no-go areas in the UK. Relatively small (but ever expanding) pockets of our towns and cities at the moment, I'll grant you, but if you are white and hang around there long enough you will get hurt. You're not allowed to arm yourself, of course, and when you call the cops you might be lucky enough to have two big lads arrived in a squad car, but more than likely, you're going to get two dumpy, 5'3" ladies panicking and LARPing as policemen, and who have come straight from diversity and inclusion training.

It's admirable you want to defend our nation, but the UK is in a terrible situation. Not to get into a debate about it, but we don't need any more fucking abortion either. We need things which incentivize Brits to start families and have as many babies as humanly possible. We don't need to get into a competition with the US about who can introduce the most destructive, dysgenic liberal policies in order to further reduce the native birth-rate. Mo and his wife just had their 6th kid, and your tax £ funded them. Wake up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Has anyone who's received an mRNA-based vaccine experienced significant inflammation/pain at the injection site? I received the vaccine a couple of days ago and my arm has been quite sore/tender.

I tried benching today and it felt like I was going to injure myself with just the empty bar. I know another person who received the vaccine last week, benched a few days after and tore something in his shoulder (the same shoulder where the vaccine was injected) on his work sets. He had a pre-existing shoulder injury, but perhaps the inflammation due to the vaccination played a role.

Can anyone with more knowledge in the area comment? [1] suggests that the lipids in the vaccine are highly inflammatory, but I only gave it a brief skim. They also report the inflammation is generally even worse on the booster shot, so guess I have more arm pain to look forward to next month.

[1] The mRNA-LNP platform’s lipid nanoparticle component used in preclinical vaccine studies is highly inflammatory | bioRxiv
    My first dose of the Moderna vaccine caused my arm to be pretty sore, and the soreness lasted a couple days, although I had some impairment in my lifts for about a week afterwards. My right shoulder started to give me some issues in the gym over the next month, but it wasn't enough to limit my training. When I got the second dose, I became ill for 24 hours and the soreness in the arm was impressive. My shoulder looked like someone transplanted some biscuit dough subcutaneously on top of the deltoid. This was on top of the rash I had since the initial dose. The pain lasted about 24 hours with residual soreness that lingered. Now, almost two months later, my bench has gone down almost 40# and I have a 75% supraspinatus tear and I've never had shoulder complaints previously.

I doubt very seriously that the vaccine had anything at all to do with the rotator cuff tear and this is just a coincidence with great timing, but, damn, I liked where my bench press was prior to the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Freedom is what's important to me and very few places have much of it left. Freedom is the one thing none of the countries offer a lot of these days, but I have more here for things that matter to me than I'd have in the UK.
    What exactly is "freedom"? I'd argue that in many ways (i.e., pragmatic ways), European countries have more of it--certainly if you define "freedom" as the ability to do what you'd like to do (especially if what you want to do falls within the common case). Examples include the obvious ones: access to medical care/education/transportation.

Europeans are even free of having the IRS follow them to every single country that they live in and continue to tax them even if they're non-resident in the USA--a privilege only oh-so-free Americans seem to enjoy.

Many European males even enjoy the freedom of an intact, unmutilated body: some European countries have banned the practice of male circumcision (e.g., Iceland) whereas in others it's not illegal per-se (although wide-spread support to ban it exists in many European countries), but physicians will not perform the procedure and it isn't covered by the medical system. The same can certainly not be said for America. Many of you would probably say that this is less free: there are systems in place that dictate what parents can and cannot do to their children. I would say it's more free: there are systems in place that protect your body so that you may have the freedom of being free from mutilation.

"Freedom" shouldn't be measured by how much you and your compatriots exalt some murky concept written in the constitution--it should be measured pragmatically, and in my view, that pragmatic measurement is the ability to do what you want to do in life (and the opportunities to do so). This pragmatic measurement of freedom often has many European countries coming out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Not being murdered I think is a pretty important metric to most people. Both countries are fucked at the moment Rip, there are no winners here. Like I said, at least we are not French or Canadian - and that’s a huge win for any sane human!
    The murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants in the USA was 4.96 in 2018. [1] That is--considering no other factors that would probably significantly lower this probability for you as an individual--you had a 0.00496% chance of being murdered. Over a lifetime of 80 years, your probability of being murdered is (1 - (1-4.96*10^(-5))^80)*100 = 0.4%.

This is unfortunately higher than many countries, but half a percent chance is probably not something
    to go crazy over. (If you were to adjust this with information including socioeconomic status, race, location, etc, the probability would almost certainly decrease universally for members of this forum.)

In comparison, the fatality rate of COVID-19 is 168 per 100,000 inhabitants in the USA. [2] So your probability of dying from COVID-19 is roughly 34 times higher. It's awfully ironic that the attitude in this thread often amounts to "COVID-19 is a scamdemic and your probability of dying from it is essentially zero," yet the very people who are saying that then go on to say how they're buying guns and getting conceal carry permits to protect themselves:

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Well, after anither string if murders last week in Ausghanistan, I finally “pulled the trigger” on getting a concealed carry. Defunding the police hasn’t worked out so well and many of us realize it’s time to be armed.
    where we can reasonably infer that the probability that a gun will save your life is extremely small (since your probability of being murdered is already very small). And yes--I understand your objections. People dying from COVID had pre-existing conditions; they were going to die anyway. Yada yada. That's not the point. The point is that concern over being murdered and concern from dying from COVID-19 are equally silly since the probability of either happening is small enough to not be worthwhile to attempt to minimize. There are plenty of other things that are far more probable that you can optimize instead.

What I'm saying is this: shut the fuck up about your "views" and "values" (which you probably only have by happenstance of being born where you were born and not somewhere else--it seems so silly to hold on to something so capricious, so vehemently), be more pragmatic, and live a local existence instead of arguing about all this bullshit that doesn't affect you anyway.

[1] List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia
    [2] Mortality Analyses - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    No Jovan, the UK coronavirus bill legislation expires in one year
    So they say!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    God, we people who can walk outside every day and not get murdered here in the United States amongst our 3.8 million square miles of total land area have it so bad. Shit, the only 80,000 square miles the British enjoy must be so liberating.
    You might need that land to build prisons for all your murderers and for the offspring of raped women who aren’t allowed to have abortions in many states. Nice freedoms...

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrfunk View Post
    US overlayed on Europe: https://i.imgur.com/fi6BB8w.png

Let's blame Maine for gang murders in Los Angeles.

This is like counting the murder rate in Syria in with the UK's.

They have nothing to do with each other. US crime prevention is mostly on the state and city level.

You can be in the vast majority of the US with zero concern even in the "dangerous" cities because you're not part of the demographic that kills and gets killed.

--

Racial murders: nearly half the victims are white | UK news | The Guardian

I wonder if the corrupt Guardian realizes they still have this 2006 article up.
    ...but Syria ISN’T in Europe, it’s in Asia while Maine IS part of the United Staes of America. And if you shifted the silly make-believe map north a little, Sweden, Finland and Norway would be included instead of Syria and Turkey with their high murder rates. And by the way, the UK has left the European Union now re. Brexit while the USA is still chain ganged to Federal Law and allows fraudulent elections to determine their Presidency. Cool freedoms...

Why? Because certain relevant facts and truths hurt peoples’ feelings or damages their fundamental arguments about freedom? Smells cowardice to me...