starting strength gym
Page 1200 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2007001100115011901198119912001201120212101250130017002200 ... LastLast
Results 11,991 to 12,000 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    Ah, freedom.
    You don't understand some very important things. If I come into your home and take a big shit on the floor of your living room, you can rightly observe that I don't have the freedom to do that. This would also be true in North Korea, unless I'm Kim Jong Un. This is my board, and I'm not the government, so when I ask you to avoid a topic, you do so or I throw you out of the house. Stop being a little bitch, calm down, and get back to productive discussion.

And most of us on this board would rather be dead than slaves. That is your decision too, and hopefully you won't have to make it soon.

...said the dame who lives in a country in which some areas makes abortion illegal. But hey, you have a nice yard.
    At least she can actually leave her country if she doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't understand some very important things. If I come into your home and take a big shit on the floor of your living room, you can rightly observe that I don't have the freedom to do that. This would also be true in North Korea, unless I'm Kim Jong Un. This is my board, and I'm not the government, so when I ask you to avoid a topic, you do so or I throw you out of the house. Stop being a little bitch, calm down, and get back to productive discussion.

And most of us on this board would rather be dead than slaves. That is your decision too, and hopefully you won't have to make it soon.
    I appear to be much calmer than you Rip judging by the language. I believe abortion and murder are highly relevant to discussions about general society freedoms, but if you haven’t got the balls to discuss it, well, I guess you haven’t got the balls to discuss it. And I can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    What exactly is "freedom"? I'd argue that in many ways (i.e., pragmatic ways), European countries have more of it--certainly if you define "freedom" as the ability to do what you'd like to do (especially if what you want to do falls within the common case). Examples include the obvious ones: access to medical care/education/transportation.
    How about food, clothing, heat, water, and malt whisky? You have listed 3 commodities that other people have to produce for you as examples of freedom. Do you believe that you have a "right" to other people's production?

Europeans are even free of having the IRS follow them to every single country that they live in and continue to tax them even if they're non-resident in the USA--a privilege only oh-so-free Americans seem to enjoy.
    I agree.

Many European males even enjoy the freedom of an intact, unmutilated body: some European countries have banned the practice of male circumcision (e.g., Iceland) whereas in others it's not illegal per-se (although wide-spread support to ban it exists in many European countries), but physicians will not perform the procedure and it isn't covered by the medical system. The same can certainly not be said for America. Many of you would probably say that this is less free: there are systems in place that dictate what parents can and cannot do to their children. I would say it's more free: there are systems in place that protect your body so that you may have the freedom of being free from mutilation.
    Do you believe that circumcision is mandatory in the US? If your parents listened to the doctor and had you circumcised at birth, your problem is with them, not the county hospital.

"Freedom" shouldn't be measured by how much you and your compatriots exalt some murky concept written in the constitution--it should be measured pragmatically, and in my view, that pragmatic measurement is the ability to do what you want to do in life (and the opportunities to do so). This pragmatic measurement of freedom often has many European countries coming out ahead.
    This is such bullshit. Again, do you believe that you have a "right" to other people's production/wealth/labor/time?

The murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants in the USA was 4.96 in 2018. [1] That is--considering no other factors that would probably significantly lower this probability for you as an individual--you had a 0.00496% chance of being murdered. Over a lifetime of 80 years, your probability of being murdered is (1 - (1-4.96*10^(-5))^80)*100 = 0.4%.

This is unfortunately higher than many countries, but half a percent chance is probably not something
    to go crazy over. (If you were to adjust this with information including socioeconomic status, race, location, etc, the probability would almost certainly decrease universally for members of this forum.)

In comparison, the fatality rate of COVID-19 is 168 per 100,000 inhabitants in the USA. [2] So your probability of dying from COVID-19 is roughly 34 times higher. It's awfully ironic that the attitude in this thread often amounts to "COVID-19 is a scamdemic and your probability of dying from it is essentially zero," yet the very people who are saying that then go on to say how they're buying guns and getting conceal carry permits to protect themselves:

where we can reasonably infer that the probability that a gun will save your life is extremely small (since your probability of being murdered is already very small). And yes--I understand your objections. People dying from COVID had pre-existing conditions; they were going to die anyway. Yada yada. That's not the point. The point is that concern over being murdered and concern from dying from COVID-19 are equally silly since the probability of either happening is small enough to not be worthwhile to attempt to minimize. There are plenty of other things that are far more probable that you can optimize instead.
    It is exactly the point. There are many things you can do to keep from dying of both COVID and murder -- and car wrecks, falling off of buildings, drowning, and getting burned alive. If you are a passive participator in this little adventure, these scary numbers might apply. But that is a choice you make. I'm not going to Southside Chicago, I don't own a boat, and I do carry a gun (for reasons besides not being murdered). Everybody dies, so the things you do before that happens should be important to you. Hiding safely under your kitchen table in the safest place in the world may well be your decision. Have fun with that.

What I'm saying is this: shut the fuck up about your "views" and "values" (which you probably only have by happenstance of being born where you were born and not somewhere else--it seems so silly to hold on to something so capricious, so vehemently), be more pragmatic, and live a local existence instead of arguing about all this bullshit that doesn't affect you anyway.
    That's pretty good advice.

I appear to be much calmer than you Rip judging by the language. I believe abortion and murder are highly relevant to discussions about general society freedoms, but if you haven’t got the balls to discuss it, well, I guess you haven’t got the balls to discuss it. And I can understand why.
    Okay, Robin. You're the real man in the room. But the next abortion or steroids (yes, we don't talk about that either) reference gets you ushered out. I'd rather this not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Austin TX. Right I get it, where else would one want an open carry license.
    I live in Virginia and there is no license to open carry, only concealed and while that offends me, is still pretty easy. Take a evening gun safety class and visit your county office.

Nobody with any sense open-carries. Makes people nervous, and shows the bad guys who to shoot first.

Someone needs to factually clear up the IRS role in other countries.

I know people (factually) that have no income in the US that have received multiple stimulus checks because they have filled annually to prove they have no income in the US. I guess the IRS hunted them down, tortured them a little, and, in ultimate submission, made them take some (more) cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Thanks Barry. Robin is wrong quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

If you read the whole post I made on this, you might note that I have some interests that having those shots make possible. Like coaching Special Olympians. No shot, no coaching. Now no one has specifically stipulated this to me, but it doesn't take a great leap to know it's pretty likely. Same with teaching Jujitsu at the local park district.

Best of luck, Mark. You are not alone. I'm afraid very few can/will take on this fight for freedom.

For those who have no intention of ringing the bell, here's what to expect:
    The “Unvaccinated” Question

Read this^

Then, consider what the Press Secretary just said:

Vaccine Passport
    White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that such passports would not be linked to a federal database.

“That issue will touch many agencies, as verification is an issue that will potentially touch many sectors of society,” Ms. Psaki said. “A determination or development of [a] vaccine passport or whatever you want to call it will be driven by the private sector.”
    History repeats: IBM and the Holocaust

---
    Comic Relief: MD Shares his protection against Covid

I'm visualizing Hurling teaching Tai Chi in the park while the class uses ^this^ solution. We'll have to see how far this absurdity goes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post

I know people (factually) that have no income in the US that have received multiple stimulus checks because they have filled annually to prove they have no income in the US. I guess the IRS hunted them down, tortured them a little, and, in ultimate submission, made them take some (more) cash.
    My mother's cousins in Italy have received checks. It came via their SS payments.