starting strength gym
Page 1208 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2087081108115811981206120712081209121012181258130817082208 ... LastLast
Results 12,071 to 12,080 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I’ve put several years of thought into concealed carrying, not crime trends in austin. Read carefully.
    And crime is a factor in that decision for you, is it not?
    I am fascinated by my recent realization that the American mindset is alien to the rest of the world. I enjoyed Frank_B, Jenni's and others posts on this subject.

The following video is a cliche to many Americans, but for those (like zft?) who view Americans as "crazy gun people"....watch it ALL THE WAY TO THE END:

Dr. Suzanna Hupp Testimony to Congress on the Second Amendment

Her point at the end is crucial to understanding what it means to be American. That video helped me shake off my NPR/BBC programming many years ago.

Freedom is having a choice. Americans are indeed still free to choose thanks to our 2nd amendment, and our overlords are very aware of this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    This is an interesting question. For me, getting the papers is a deterrent, not an incentive. I could have legitimately gotten the vaccine in the first wave (occupation and medical), but I waited by age group, which was Monday.

The “paper” is literally a piece of paper with the blanks filled out by hand. Exactly like my yellow vaccine card I carry in my passport. Both are objectively bull shit.

In the balance, I am proud of being considered trustworthy and would prefer an honor system. But we are not honorable apparently. So I worry about other things.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is that are three kinds of people in this hypothetical. Those that think that it’s a miracle of modern medicine to develop something in such a short timeframe that can alter people’s DNA to better fight an infection, who are happy to get the vaccine. Then there are those who think that there was an extreme market incentive for any pharmaceutical company to develop something they can call a vaccine as quickly as possible (the companies that have a product out the earliest capture the biggest share of the market) and are not legally liable for the consequences of producing an unsafe (or generally unhealthy, either short or long term) product, and those people do not get the vaccine. Then there is a third type of person who agrees with the second person, but gets the vaccine anyway. Those are the people I was referring to in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    I guess what I’m trying to say is that are three kinds of people in this hypothetical.
    I’m a fourth kind. I suspect there are other kinds. Makes your hypothetical less interesting.

I think you mean there are people that will weigh getting in trouble for not getting vaccinated over the believed risk of getting the vaccine. This risk/reward proposition is not uncommon nor is it new. I agree with you that there are people that think that way, but it’s defensibly rational.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    Without engaging in the character debate, the fact of the matter is that, hypothetically speaking, if you were to receive no paperwork for having gotten the vaccine (maybe if they were to track how many people got it and where rather than who specifically), I would bet that you and many others would not have gotten it, and it would much more difficult for the medical establishment and media to convince people that the vaccine has a net positive impact on your health over the long term.

So there are two questions for the people who otherwise not have taken it. What is your price to compromise what you think is good for you and your health (i.e. is being able to coach jujitsu worth potentially compromising your health— if not now, possibly long term)? Second, how much of your health/freedom would you compromise for that price (i.e. how far down the slippery slope of compliance are you willing to fall in order to do/have those things)?
    Simple and short answer. I don't currently get paperwork for my flu shot or my colonoscopy or my annual checkup from the doc. People die from the flu shot, I got an infection after my first colonoscopy some 20 years ago, which my doc back then said was not unusual, although he wasn't sure why. My own suspicions are the tube knocks some things loose and they get into the rest of the body. It took Cipro to get rid of it, so it was nothing to take lightly.

So name your risks of doing and not doing things for medical and health reasons. I don't intend to live cowering from either the Kung Flu or the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What Jenni is telling you is that we haven't depended on our "leaders" for a very long time.
    I don't believe that is correct Mark, we all depend on leaders, does not matter whether it is our fathers, uncles, older brothers, grandma, granddad and dare I say even you, whether you accept it or not you are a "leader", and is not a coach a "leader", I mean 90% of folk round here depend on your guidance with training, or are you going to sell yourself short and say, "no I am just a guide", no I think we depend on leaders more then we realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Wal is loving in zero covid land, so the trauma of this kind of existence (I am being generous in calling it that) has led him to hope that other countries will be, to quote RobinUK, equally fucked. It is a cry for help really.
    Well, not exactly, it is about 1.5 per 100,000, but Jovan Iam not "loving in zero covid land", my Mrs said I am not not allowed to wander around anymore, but thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    The following video is a cliche to many Americans, but for those (like zft?) who view Americans as "crazy gun people"
    Unclear if you were implying otherwise, but I am American.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    I don't believe that is correct Mark, we all depend on leaders, does not matter whether it is our fathers, uncles, older brothers, grandma, granddad and dare I say even you, whether you accept it or not you are a "leader", and is not a coach a "leader", I mean 90% of folk round here depend on your guidance with training, or are you going to sell yourself short and say, "no I am just a guide", no I think we depend on leaders more then we realize.
    I was obviously referring to political leadership.

Unclear if you were implying otherwise, but I am American.
    Forgive me. I only skimmed your subthread and got you mixed up with a Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I was obviously referring to political leadership.
    Yes I am aware of that Mark, but that does not change anything, you may say "we are not depending on political leaders", however you are, the fore fathers of your country that framed the Constitution is what your depending on to protect you from bad leadership and to maintain your rights of freedom that are given under your constitution. You depend on good leaders to uphold your laws and rights and when you have folk like Biden and Harris you are going to vote for someone that will remove them.

This is not about a war that is fought with an AR-15, it is a battle for your soul and mind and it is fought with different weapons, it is now your experience that this "war" for the soul of America was fought with two of the worst mind control agents ever dreamed up by men, Fakebook and Twittface, also years ago your education systems was infiltrated by people who have gone after the minds of your children (look at the education system in California) and stolen them away. It is happening here as well. You can have the best militia and or armed forces, but as I said before your enemy has already penetrated the wall.

starting strength coach development program
    And crime is a factor in that decision for you, is it not?

I'm just measuring crime in the same way the annual reports measured crime for easy comparison. I would not equally weight each category of crime--murder should certainly be weighted higher.

I would guess a big factor in that increased rate is because of the pandemic rather than in spite of, as you seem to suggest. It'll be interesting to see what the 2022 and 2023 rates end up being.

It's not my data, it's the city of Austin's data. What you're suggesting is going by "feeling" and not being objective/systematic. You cannot get an accurate picture by your incidental exposure to crime/safety reports on social media.

But, hey, go get your concealed carry permit. It's America after all, right?

Now that you mention it, isn't that what a tough outlaw would do?
    The data only supports my “feelings” or otherwise known as intuition. You just ignored the fact that 19 murders have already occurred this year, which was what I was originally referring to. Extrapolate that shit.

Meanwhile, I’ll carry my gun when I feel like it, because this is ‘Merica. Fuck yeah. Good luck with your trust in mankind’s good intentions to keep you safe.