starting strength gym
Page 1210 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2107101110116012001208120912101211121212201260131017102210 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,100 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasfj70 View Post
    I'm in the category that realize that the vaccine does not change the DNA and that if there is a risk getting the shoot at all it is lower than winning the Powerball.

People claiming that Covid-19 is not a threat need to explain to me why my experience (otherwise called anecdotal evidence):

- Why have I never heard of someone dying from the flu before, but now I know several deseased by Covid-19? And one was relatively young

- About 10% at my workplace got hit by Covid-19. Some didn't have a lot of problems, but several tell me about terrible experiences. Some are still having issues long time after being free of the virus

- I know a nurse who tells me about the total chaos because of the number of people who are taken in to her hospital for treatment. According to her this is not according to the normal flu season

Go get your vaccine when you get your chance like I did.

Rippepinky, I'm looking forward to your spellcheck...

I listened to the transgender podcast.

What is this all about? I can't remember when I last met a transgender person and if happened it was some old guy who was completely unable to walk in high heels or a ladyboy at some bar in Thailand.

The Olympics have allowed transgender people since 2004 and since then zero has qualified.

Do transgender people have a physical advantage? I don't know. Probably.

Is this a problem? NO!

The identity politics discussion has different motives. It gives Conservatives an excuse to not formulate ideas.

If the political discourse was about health care, infrastructure or other kitchen table discussions, Republicans would have zero chance.

War on Christmas or discussions on who should use which bathroom is just completely useless!
    My body, my choice.

Transgenderism is a mental illness. These people have serious serious mental problems. You don't normalize it. I suppose you don't have to ridicule it either, but I choose to. I also ridicule Democrats, for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    This is precisely the point and why the US is less fucked than Europe. It's hard to admit for some, especially because the rest of the "western civilized world" (read: Europe) has been trained to look down on the US. Constantly bringing up crime statistics and abortion is evidence of this. It's been a very useful tool for our cultural leaders to distract from the 2nd A and take away the last remnants of gun rights over here.

hungarians-rush-to-buy-guns-and-self-defense-weapons-following-coronavirus-outbreak
    This is really pretty funny.

"There is a nationwide shortage of pepper-ball ammunition. I expect a delivery of 1,200 rounds tomorrow and half of that has already been sold," gun shop owner Zoltán Gerő told HírTV. His shop mostly sells legally available Airsoft, gas or rubber bullet pistols. "Whereas previously most of our sales were for sport, while recently the demand for self-defense weapons has spiked."

Repeat-fire Airsoft weapons are also in high demand, as would be bows and crossbows, but the latter two are illegal in Hungary.

"Now 80 to 90 percent of our sales are self-defense weapons like gas pistols and rubber-bullet pistols, as well as pepper spray in large quantities", Gerő said. He added that most of recent his customers are first-time buyers, typically from suburban areas. One customer recently bought four gas pistols.

Other gun store owners are reporting a similar rush on firearms and other weapons.

“We are selling five times as much as in a normal March,” Gabor Vass, a Budapest gun store owner, told Reuters.

“We could sell 15 times more if we had any more rubber bullet weapons, but we ran out,” he added.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are there any intelligent leftists?
    Absolutely, but are there any intelligent leftists who aren't psychopaths? Leftism is, after all, just institutionalized psychopathy. The intelligent leftists even have a nice pet name for the jonasfj70 types: Useful Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasfj70 View Post
    I'm in the category that realize that the vaccine does not change the DNA and that if there is a risk getting the shoot at all it is lower than winning the Powerball.

People claiming that Covid-19 is not a threat need to explain to me why my experience (otherwise called anecdotal evidence):

- Why have I never heard of someone dying from the flu before, but now I know several deseased by Covid-19? And one was relatively young

- About 10% at my workplace got hit by Covid-19. Some didn't have a lot of problems, but several tell me about terrible experiences. Some are still having issues long time after being free of the virus

- I know a nurse who tells me about the total chaos because of the number of people who are taken in to her hospital for treatment. According to her this is not according to the normal flu season

Go get your vaccine when you get your chance like I did.

Rippepinky, I'm looking forward to your spellcheck...

I listened to the transgender podcast.

What is this all about? I can't remember when I last met a transgender person and if happened it was some old guy who was completely unable to walk in high heels or a ladyboy at some bar in Thailand.

The Olympics have allowed transgender people since 2004 and since then zero has qualified.

Do transgender people have a physical advantage? I don't know. Probably.

Is this a problem? NO!

The identity politics discussion has different motives. It gives Conservatives an excuse to not formulate ideas.

If the political discourse was about health care, infrastructure or other kitchen table discussions, Republicans would have zero chance.

War on Christmas or discussions on who should use which bathroom is just completely useless!
    N.b. how one contrary statement is buttressed by anecdote, while the second contrary statement is buttressed by anecdote.

Also, observe the fixation on symptom as cause in the last less than subtle dig on people of opposing opinion to the O.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Interesting that you equate freedom with violence. I think that tells us an awful lot about you and how you think and why we will probably never agree.
    And that's true, I did keep it general and impersonal. I see no advantage to detailing my personal skills or exploits in public. That goes for most things I do. I don't Insta my PRs either.

Excellent! You said what I was trying to say better. It's just part of who we are as a people, even if some have forgotten that it doesn't mean we all have.

That's why I say we're talking past each other. He can't seem to understand this and keeps arguing as though we do. Which I find to be a cultural curiosity. As Frank said, it's practically in our DNA but wal can't get his head around it. It's like we're different species. But we aren't. I'd love to know how to get the wals of the world to let go of their attachment to authority.
    Jenni, incredible; you doubled down.

Had you seen Mark's post a few above yours about the German who allowed the creep for too long, before you posted?
    Doesn't that apply to all us Americans now (if you don't post your PRs in Instagram, I doubt there are vids of you, arguing with the muzzlers in stores, floating around. How is that not allowing a slight change to society that will result in irreversible loss of freedom down the road?)

I am writing this to be introspective, not accusatory.

Because what this country needs now, and BTW the GOP needed for a LONG time before Trump came around, is less chest-thumping about how liberty-loving we are, and more informing of the ignorant masses (those clumps of cells just existing as they clamor for an experimental vaccine and proudly muzzle themselves) of how bad things are and can soon become.

How do we go about waking up the ignorant masses? Because even THAT is tough in most public settings, given all the ostracization and job threats that can ensue.

It's probably why most people even here don't use their real names.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Absolutely, but are there any intelligent leftists who aren't psychopaths? Leftism is, after all, just institutionalized psychopathy.
    Gore Vidal comes to mind. A smart psychopath if there ever was one. Not entirely unlike Hannibal Lecter.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    While true, this is mostly nonsense on its own. Number 1 requires massive changes in lifestyle that most people aren’t capable of making, as their entire way of life and means of subsistence relies on the dollar. For number 2, most people don’t know the scope of the “surveillance state” or how to go about disrupting it. Additionally, the “surveillance state” that actually affects people’s lives isn’t run by the government, but rather by Apple, Google, Amazon, etc., which the disruption of also requires people to make large changes to their lifestyle. For number 3, those who would agree with this post have probably already purged themselves of the garbage on TV.

Speaking of disruption, won't it be hilarious when the next one comes, and the Internetz getz brokened!?

Rip I think you owe it to us to make some backup
    communication plans so we can all stay connected. Can you get a shortwave station set up to broadcast Starting Strength Radio? Just think if it for now as owning a gas generator for the winters in Texas, which before last month sounded equally as absurd.

David Rowe and others, after all, mentioned eons ago that finding a strong community is the best "prepper" move to make.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Absolutely, but are there any intelligent leftists who aren't psychopaths? Leftism is, after all, just institutionalized psychopathy. The intelligent leftists even have a nice pet name for the jonasfj70 types: Useful Idiots.
    John B. Calhoun Film 7.1 [edited], (NIMH, 1970-1972) - YouTube

Interesting video on the subject of left/right continuum. Neither side is “right”, they’re just living in two different realities. In large population centers that somewhat mirror the mouse utopian experiment, leftism makes total sense. If you were to tell the mice that in order for their endless supply of food to continue, they all have to get a shot and cover their face, then their survival relies on them complying and forcing others to comply.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Jenni, incredible; you doubled down.

Had you seen Mark's post a few above yours about the German who allowed the creep for too long, before you posted?
    Doesn't that apply to all us Americans now (if you don't post your PRs in Instagram, I doubt there are vids of you, arguing with the muzzlers in stores, floating around. How is that not allowing a slight change to society that will result in irreversible loss of freedom down the road?)

I am writing this to be introspective, not accusatory.

Because what this country needs now, and BTW the GOP needed for a LONG time before Trump came around, is less chest-thumping about how liberty-loving we are, and more informing of the ignorant masses (those clumps of cells just existing as they clamor for an experimental vaccine and proudly muzzle themselves) of how bad things are and can soon become.

How do we go about waking up the ignorant masses? Because even THAT is tough in most public settings, given all the ostracization and job threats that can ensue.

It's probably why most people even here don't use their real names.
    So tell me, what do you think I can do that more learned people such as doctors and the guy who invented the PCR test cannot? Have people rushed to Coach's program because of its years of success or do they still line up at the globo-gyms and do their functional fitness moves? You can't help people who don't want to be helped. It sucks, I know. But people aren't ignorant. They are stupid. Ignorance is when you just don't know any better. Like back when I couldn't figure out how to get my pie crust right. I was ignorant. Then someone explained to me to keep the fat cold. So I did. And now I end up with a nice, flaky crust. Because I was ignorant, not stupid. I listened when education was offered. But people are stupid. The education is there, they just don't want to apply it for a myriad of reasons. Fear is one of them. (As Rip's post shows this was also the case for many in Germany.) But to me, fear profits a man nothing. Whatever my life is, that fate was woven a long time ago- I am who I am.

I also live by rules. I have a few of them I've collected over the years. One is Rule 303. You can Google and read the original story behind Harry "Breaker" Morant and the phrase (assuming you don't have military friends) but it basically boils down to "if you have the means at hand, you have the responsibility to act." And I do. When I come across a situation where the problem is ignorance rather than stupidity I am very happy to help educate. If I possess the means to affect a situation I do act.

And Jenni is my real name. (Short for Jennifer of course, but nobody calls me that.)