starting strength gym
Page 1214 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2147141114116412041212121312141215121612241264131417142214 ... LastLast
Results 12,131 to 12,140 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For some more fun Sunday reading have a gander at this, which has already been shared before here on Starting Strength:

Sort By Controversial | Slate Star Codex

TL;DR-
    Who know if it's true, but perhaps an algorithm was created for the social media networks to get the most absurd, outlandish deductions from debates or current events posted up top, to enrage and engage the users.

A fascinating read despite the length.

But I'm re-posting it here b/c I had a revelation recently, when some lines were kind of drawn in the sand here with everyone explaining they're not THAT kind of racist! 😂 (I'm anti-Covid vax, but not ANTI-VAX):
    What if the "anti-vaxxer" debate was artificially enflamed to prepare us peons for this point?

You all are in general older than me: hasn't "anti-vaxx" been around a LONG time? I mean my.mom in the early 80s even withheld many vaccines from me (thank goodness, IMHO! &#128514.

So....why did the topic become so heated and oft-debated beginning around five-ten years ago? Very interesting and I think someone should do one of those lexus nexus searches for frequency of word usage, like they do for "white supremacists" all the time, on "anti-vaxx" and the like. I'll bet the term came into high-frequency usage only very recently.

Y'all's input on how popular the "anti-vaxx" movement was back then would be much appreciated.

Have a great rest of the Easter weekend! Christ is risen!!

Morale boost: Polish pastor forbids Canadian police from shutting down his service, and they leave with their tails between their legs.

We have the weakest, most pathetic tyrants ever. We can still win this if we just push.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Morale boost: Polish pastor forbids Canadian police from shutting down his service, and they leave with their tails between their legs.

We have the weakest, most pathetic tyrants ever. We can still win this if we just push.
    Already posted, but worth another watch. And worth another reading:

COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

And this may explain some of it: Why new facts often don’t matter once a belief system has been established – The New Neo

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I think you're onto something. I've been working on an idea where the nation is stitched back together by people abandoning social media in favor of once again forming strong familial and community bonds. This will allow for much more than just propagation of information without the corruption by those who control its flow: it will allow for the spread of the values necessary to maintain a constitutional republic. If we survive this insanity, I think it will only come about through such an initiative. It's also why I'm convinced that a complete divorce from said corruption is equally necessary. A fresh start. A Secession.
    You are correct. This has always been true. There is a reason we have axioms such as “love your neighbor as yourself.” People that live in rural areas already know this. When you live in rural areas, even though you live farther apart you are typically closer as a community. When you have land and animals, eventually you will have a family emergency and will need your neighbors to take care of your animals while you tend to the emergency and likewise they will be reliant on you at times. Ironically, the closer people live together the more isolated they tend to be from their community. We would all be better off building relationships within our community. Starting with your neighborhood. I welcome Wal to come along and share some relevant verses on the subject. Like I said, these axioms exist for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Happy Easter. The greatest Rebel of all time is Risen.
    He wasn't a rebel. He was accused of subversion, not paying taxes, claiming to be a king, being equal with God, a blasphemer. Not unlike some of you folks actually.

They began to accuse him, saying, “We found this man subverting our nation, forbidding us to pay the tribute tax to Caesar and claiming that he himself is Christ, a king.” (Luke 23:5)

The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. (John 10:33 [KJVPCE])

The Jewish leaders replied, “We have a law, and according to our law he ought to die, because he claimed to be the Son of God!” (John 19:7)

Of course the politicians of those days had Him killed, quicker than undermining a election.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    He wasn't a rebel. He was accused of subversion, not paying taxes, claiming to be a king, being equal with God, a blasphemer. Not unlike some of you folks actually.

They began to accuse him, saying, “We found this man subverting our nation, forbidding us to pay the tribute tax to Caesar and claiming that he himself is Christ, a king.” (Luke 23:5)

The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. (John 10:33 [KJVPCE])

The Jewish leaders replied, “We have a law, and according to our law he ought to die, because he claimed to be the Son of God!” (John 19:7)

Of course the politicians of those days had Him killed, quicker than undermining a election.
    Wal, you may be correct from a dictionary definition, but Kit’s point wasn’t lost. Being that it’s 2021 and everything must be literal Kit was likely inferring Radical, which in our day and age has a similar connotation, while in Biblical times (Hebrew) literally meant rooted.

Not that any of these semantics matter as I’m confident you’d both agree that the He is risen part supersedes the correct usage of a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Swyou22 View Post
    Wal, you may be correct from a dictionary definition, but Kit’s point wasn’t lost. Being that it’s 2021 and everything must be literal Kit was likely inferring Radical, which in our day and age has a similar connotation, while in Biblical times (Hebrew) literally meant rooted.

Not that any of these semantics matter as I’m confident you’d both agree that the He is risen part supersedes the correct usage of a word.
    Rebel to me means someone who is against authority and I don't believe He was, what got Him into trouble was that he criticized the woke folk and pointed out the hypocrisy of the ruling class in those days. He told His followers not to rebel against the law, and not turn into hypocrites.

Mathew 23

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and his disciples, 2 “The legal experts and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat. 3 Therefore, you must take care to do everything they say. But don’t do what they do. 4 For they tie together heavy packs that are impossible to carry. They put them on the shoulders of others, but are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. 5 Everything they do, they do to be noticed by others. They make extra-wide prayer bands for their arms and long tassels for their clothes. 6 They love to sit in places of honor at banquets and in the synagogues. 7 They love to be greeted with honor in the markets and to be addressed as ‘Rabbi.’ (teacher)

13 “How terrible it will be for you legal experts and Pharisees! Hypocrites! You shut people out of the kingdom of heaven. You don’t enter yourselves, and you won’t allow those who want to enter to do so.

15 “How terrible it will be for you, legal experts and Pharisees! Hypocrites! You travel over sea and land to make one convert. But when they’ve been converted, they become twice the child of hell you are.

I will spare you the rest of the chapter, it is a pretty bad condemnation of the nation's rulers,but you get the point, but yes I am all for the risen part, however this bit is even better.

" Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."
    (John 14:1-3 [KJVPCE])"

No more lockdowns!

UK is is deep trouble: Scuffles in London as thousands join 'kill the bill' rallies across Britain

LONDON (Reuters) - Thousands of demonstrators joined rallies across Britain on Saturday against a proposed law that would give police extra powers to curb protests, with some scuffles breaking out following a march in London.

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts bill aims to toughen measures officers can take to disperse demonstrations, such as imposing time and noise limits, which campaigners and activists fear would be used to curb dissent.
    Trust the government.

Rebel to me means someone who is against authority and I don't believe He was, ...
    On the other hand, we have Barabbas. Where does he fit in all of this?

starting strength coach development program
    Rebel to me means someone who is against authority and I don't believe He was, what got Him into trouble was that he criticized the woke folk and pointed out the hypocrisy of the ruling class in those days. He told His followers not to rebel against the law, and not turn into hypocrites.
    Woops, I didn't mean to create a bible study within this thread. I haven't read the bible, and I probably never will.

Dictionary.com - Rebel:
    1) a person who refuses allegiance to the government or ruler of his or her country.
    2) a person who resists any authority or control or tradition.

Minimally, I think Jesus meets the above definition. I just can't see MY Jesus declaring allegiance to the King. And, he certainly resisted tradition.

Christ taught me that only God creates rules that I MUST obey, and those Commandments (rules) are very clear.
    That's just my Jesus that lives deep in my heart.

I see online the Rebel issue has been debated by academics for a long time. So, you can have your non-Rebel Jesus, and I'll keep my Badass Jesus...and back to the thread's topic we go.