starting strength gym
Page 1230 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2307301130118012201228122912301231123212401280133017302230 ... LastLast
Results 12,291 to 12,300 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for posting this article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Here's an interesting piece from a "less serious 'news' outlet" by the great investigative reporter Michael Fumento: Obesity: COVID’s Third Rail | The American Conservative

You'll never see this on a "more serious news outlet," because they do not report the news. They reinforce the narrative, and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post

Who the hell signs up for the city cop beat in today’s environment?
    Good question. I think there is set of people that see big city departments as having more opportunity for specializing, promotion, etc. Career motivation.

I know some jurisdictions have tried to mandate that you had to live in the town you served in. This was a failed idea and largely rejected. If you think about why, there may be a more complete answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Good question. I think there is set of people that see big city departments as having more opportunity for specializing, promotion, etc. Career motivation.

I know some jurisdictions have tried to mandate that you had to live in the town you served in. This was a failed idea and largely rejected. If you think about why, there may be a more complete answer to your question.
    They’ve tried several iterations of this in my nearest big city. They all failed. Up until 5-6 years ago, you avoided the city at all costs. It was a complete dumpster fire. Anyone voluntarily living there to work on the police force seriously needed their head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Well...considering it gives you the placebo with nothing but some pin pricks makes it better than most other side effects without actual cures being pushed.
    Exactly. The old Chinese dudes knew their shit. The modern ones are worse, but not far off. Say, if you don’t test people for a made up respiratory virus, it turns out you don’t have a pandemic.

Here's an interesting piece from a "less serious 'news' outlet" by the great investigative reporter Michael Fumento: Obesity: COVID’s Third Rail | The American Conservative

You'll never see this on a "more serious news outlet," because they do not report the news. They reinforce the narrative, and that's all.
    I credit Fumento's 1996 book, "Science Under Siege", for starting to remove the scales from my younger, much more naďve and uninformed eyes. Just destroyed all the environmental myths I had been exposed to: Agent Orange, dioxin, Love Canal, DDT, EMF exposure. Bjorn Lomborg's "The Skeptical Environmentalist" really sealed the deal.

So here's an idea:

#1 It's been established over the last year that businesses can be arbitrarily shut down to protect public health.
    #2 Diabetes, heart disease and cancer are leading causes of death. They kill lots of more people than covid and also exacerbate the risk of dying due to covid.
    #3 Therefore in the name of public health, Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonalds, Frito-Lays and all the tobacco companies should all be closed.

If a guy has more beads hanging from his rear view than your sister’s neck at Mardi Gras, fine pull him over and tell him you’re concerned about the obstruction of his view. But, why the fuck is it necessary to run someone’s ID through the system if that’s all they’re being pulled over for? The reason cops aren’t allowed to pull people over in Virginia for this stuff is because they’ve confused pulling someone over as a courtesy to let them know their brake lights are out with the more authoritarian, German-accented “Papers!”
    Because it's an effective tool in finding criminals. As it was in this instance, from Fox “ Court records show Wright was being sought after failing to appear in court on charges that he fled from officers and possessed a gun without a permit during an encounter with Minneapolis police in June. “

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    “Having obesity”.... you don’t HAVE obesity, you ARE OBESE. Sometimes the best remedy for shameful behavior is shame.
    The Left doesn't believe in change and everyone is a victim. Therefore the best hope one can have is to suffer from obesity.

Shame works. It's why you don't see too many fat slobs in places like Japan and Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    According to Fox, it was expired registration. Authorities said the car was pulled over for having an expired registration and after determining the driver had an outstanding warrant....
    Of course. As always. Wonder how big the check will be for momma doing such a good job raising the little hood?

Not saying cops don't pull folks over for looking certain ways. I know for a fact that they do because I'm friends with some cops, but it's usually being a hot woman or looking sketchy regardless of race.

We already know the Police officers name, have her picture. One day later.

We still don't know who Murdered Ashli Babbitt and nobody in the State Media is even asking who it is. Nobody cares to push the story, why was she shot and executed.

Lean Forward

starting strength coach development program
    I think this is pretty accurate. However, I have to admit that I do wonder what type of person decides they want to be a city cop. Highway Patrol? Sure. I get it. Small suburban town where people wave at you and you Barney Fife your way through town? I get that too.

Who the hell signs up for the city cop beat in today’s environment? More so if they grew up in white suburbia. Does this person really think they are going to patrol the streets of Minneapolis and “make a difference?”
    Given your knee jerk animus for LE (Fife =was a nice follow-on touch after your earlier MN outburst), I suspect I'm wasting my time, but I'll give this a try.

Hard as it might be to believe, many people pick that field out of a sense of service and duty for order. It seems a little different now, in that stats show 20% of cops are veterans. In my own experience, it was much higher. Something like at least 50% and maybe 70%. Times change I guess. But that explains a good deal of the drive for order.

I went into it after my disgust with the actions of the city, county, and state cops along with the National Guard in the wake of Kent State inspired riots at the university I was attending then. I wanted to effect change. So much so, that I changed my major to criminal justice and was in the first graduates of the program in 1972. Academics told us we were the wave of the future in LE. Just no one told the recruitment and selection bodies about that noble goal. Most of us tested in vain in a lot of agencies before getting a gig. I began to learn, even while still in school, that the half baked ideas of "reform" were poorly grounded in reality. An internship at a juvie correctional facility showed me that there were predators maturing and getting refined for still worse crimes and acts just waiting to get out and look for some likely victims. A few months in a gritty blue collar town in the Peoria area put the finishing touches on my cynicism after breaking up bar fights and domestic batteries after the combatants had enough alcohol to loose their inner demons. My second stint in the college town where I went to school further opened my eyes to the chaos that could result from teen and 20 something hormones ping ponging around.

Which is not to say that all the cops I worked with were paragons. A subset were aggressive and generally jerks. Command ranks were sometimes stupid and devious in their actions and motivations, either from self interest or political aspirations. It didn't help that I didn't always remain silent and simply obey. Back talk and defiance got me dinged a few times on my evaluations.

I stayed the course for a few years until I determined I was better off in a related but different line of work. In the case of others I worked with, their sense of duty and devotion to order was strong enough to ignore some of the things that bothered me so much. But it could be that they didn't go in with the ideals I had.