starting strength gym
Page 1235 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 2357351135118512251233123412351236123712451285133517352235 ... LastLast
Results 12,341 to 12,350 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    100% of what you wrote about mathematics is incorrect..
    100% of your reply is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    If you think more fine-grained technical rigor is our salvation, you are badly incorrect, and just another chump.
    I don't believe this and what I gave was just an example--but an example that exemplifies my point. Namely, that a foundation in an area that requires careful manipulation and understanding of evidence to arrive at true conclusions is broadly useful in less rigorous and more broad contexts. I believe that--all other factors being equal--your average scientist in a mathematical field has a greater capacity to discern truth (and understand the relevant context) than people with a similar amount of education in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I think this statement needs some additional critical thinking.
    In particular, what you are describing is equivalent to Hilbert's program of the 1920s, which proposed to derive mechanically all true statements starting from a limited number of axioms.
    This ambitious goal was critically compromised by Kurt Godel's work, who showed that if your axiom system meets some very basic arithmetic requirements, you will have statements that are true but can't be proved.
    IPB
    I think your statement needs more critical thinking too, because at no point did I mention proving all statements--in fact, good luck even figuring out how to state anything you might want to prove in a proof assistant; that's often harder than the proof itself. (It's actually even more limited--you can only prove propositions with computable proofs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Do you think the majority of the shit they offer at the University of Texas is any better, with their liberal professors who just push their ideology on the students for most of the lecture?
    In my decade of university education, I have never had a professor mention any personal political beliefs in a lecture and I attended schools far more liberal than UT. It's funny you qualify this with "liberal"--would you be more at ease with conservative professors pushing their ideology on students?

In particular, what you are describing is equivalent to Hilbert's program of the 1920s, which proposed to derive mechanically all true statements starting from a limited number of axioms.
    This ambitious goal was critically compromised by Kurt Godel's work, who showed that if your axiom system meets some very basic arithmetic requirements, you will have statements that are true but can't be proved.

IPB
    “Godel, Escher , and Bach “ was a book that was eye opening for me as a teenager in the 1970s. I hadn’t thought about it in a while. Thanks for helping me clean the attic (a little).

Your interpretation is incorrect, has no bearing on what zft was discussing, and has no relevance to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    An understatement. Watch this video. Very revealing about the media and the actual data. Worth the time before YT jerks it.

Now, look at this silly bullshit: CDC chief admits they have NO proof J&J vaccine causes blood clots | Daily Mail Online

Can you think of another overreaction?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Now I know why getting old sucks: the bullshit becomes painfully obvious.
    Unfortunately, with age does not necessarily come discernment. Some older folks spend their whole lives buying into the bullshit and some younger folks see through it to begin with. In fact, sometimes the longevity further solidifies the “big lies” in older folks’ heads. No one likes to admit that they’ve been tricked, especially if you’ve been tricked for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    She has cost your state untold $millions and much good will. It may never recover. What are your plans?
    Unfortunately, nothing. My wife's family, and my family, all live here in ABQ, and we couldn't leave them. We love them too much. Plus, we wouldn't want our son to be raised away from his family. Now, if NM decides to make homeschooling illegal, we've considered moving to maybe TX or FL.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    I don't believe this and what I gave was just an example--but an example that exemplifies my point. Namely, that a foundation in an area that requires careful manipulation and understanding of evidence to arrive at true conclusions is broadly useful in less rigorous and more broad contexts. I believe that--all other factors being equal--your average scientist in a mathematical field has a greater capacity to discern truth (and understand the relevant context) than people with a similar amount of education in other areas.
    This is a fantasy, usually maintained by freshly-minted students who have limited interaction with other fields. Mathematicians (and computer scientists, etc.) do not enjoy a monopoly on critical thinking, nor does their training generalize in the way you claim. They're good at avoiding certain kinds of errors on certain kinds of objects. However, those are not the errors that proliferated during 2020.

I can't help but laugh at your belief that mathematicians are better at understanding/scrutinizing context than practitioners of your aforementioned "bullshit fields of study". When was the last time you checked if your data-generating process satisfies the iid assumption? Is that more or less time than the CAD/CAM engineer spends checking whether their model can be feasibly machined?

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    In my decade of university education, I have never had a professor mention any personal political beliefs in a lecture and I attended schools far more liberal than UT. It's funny you qualify this with "liberal"--would you be more at ease with conservative professors pushing their ideology on students?
    Your n=1 experience is not the same as the dozens of UT students, current and former, that I know.

I’d rather have the professors teach the material that they’re supposed to instead of indoctrinating kids.

The vaccine has become a quasi religious experience. Completely devoid of meaning, these soulless husks find their life's purpose in becoming a lab rat. Just look at the crazy in those eyes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    The vaccine has become a quasi religious experience. Completely devoid of meaning, these soulless husks find their life's purpose in becoming a lab rat. Just look at the crazy in those eyes.
    He likes his eyes.