starting strength gym
Page 1236 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 2367361136118612261234123512361237123812461286133617362236 ... LastLast
Results 12,351 to 12,360 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    I’d rather have the professors teach the material that they’re supposed to instead of indoctrinating kids.
    No, the blame doesn’t lie with professors, who you allege are “indoctrinating” students. That is too convenient. (And if you haven’t been keeping up, “indoctrination” is not a scare word around these parts.)

The problem is that people have become insects - so engrossed with their minor positions in life, that they cannot verify any part of their inputs, nor can they recognize their effect on society via unintended consequences. This is why we have ER docs who hastily shove their COVID-19 back into susceptible populations, police who “just follow orders”, PhD computer scientists who are stridently confident about their analyses conducted on random interweb CSVs, and so many busy professionals who never read beyond the title and abstract, but aren’t too busy to have an opinion.

Are your poor kids being “indoctrinated” by their professors? Good. The ability to learn and act in the presence of noise and manipulation is now an invaluable skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post

Are your poor kids being “indoctrinated” by their professors? Good. The ability to learn and act in the presence of noise and manipulation is now an invaluable skill.
    This is an excellent and important point.

Information theory, says there is always noise. Zero noise equals perfect information or infinite bandwidth. The good news is that we don’t treat information and noise the same. Generally, it’s the variance of the noise that tells us the fidelity of the information as in the signal to noise ratio.

As a thought, rather than reducing “CNN” and your idiot second cousin’s blather, which are NOT linearly additive to the noise, especially if they are saying the same thing, we need better signals. That may be the approach that sets things straight(er) . This is a work in progress but it’s better than throwing in the towel just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Scientific American has agreed with major news outlets worldwide to start using the term “climate emergency” in its coverage of climate change

COVID fear narrative finally losing steam? Time to transition to the next planned crisis: Climate emergency?

Or will it be a Cyber Plandemic? I'm seeing signs of both in the matrix.

Now I know why getting old sucks: the bullshit becomes painfully obvious.
    Project Veritas just put out that hidden camera video of a CNN technical director saying they would be transitioning to climate alarmism in part because "fear sells." He also admitted they're propaganda, that they purposely hyped covid for ratings, and their goal was to remove Trump.

Project Veritas

This is a fantasy, usually maintained by freshly-minted students who have limited interaction with other fields. Mathematicians (and computer scientists, etc.) do not enjoy a monopoly on critical thinking, nor does their training generalize in the way you claim. They're good at avoiding certain kinds of errors on certain kinds of objects. However, those are not the errors that proliferated during 2020.
    I didn't claim they enjoyed a monopoly; I just suggested that they were likely better at it. And you're exactly right about what I am (well, the minting is still in process) and as I typed my prior responses there was definitely the itch of there-must-be-practitioners-of-other-fields-that-excel-at-this-or-something-similar. I think I'd adjust what I said prior and say it in terms of probabilities instead of absolutes (That is., it is more probable that a mathematician would excel at critical thinking (in that ways we've discussed) than, perhaps, a sociologist.) But I'm swayed by your responses and am less sure about my position now.

I can't help but laugh at your belief that mathematicians are better at understanding/scrutinizing context than practitioners of your aforementioned "bullshit fields of study". When was the last time you checked if your data-generating process satisfies the iid assumption? Is that more or less time than the CAD/CAM engineer spends checking whether their model can be feasibly machined?
    My argument was (or tried to be) about foundations. I think that the mathematical foundation (mathematical maturity, if you want) that a mathematician has is very versatile and powerful (and I think similarly about physicists). I think that people in these fields have an ability to apply their knowledge in all sorts of different areas and learn new things quickly (after all, they're rather fluent in the language that most problems are posed in). They're great technical problem solvers. So, maybe a given mathematician/physicist lacks the expertise the CAD engineer has (whether its about machining feasibility or otherwise). But I'd bet that your average mathematician/physicist can pick up the CAD engineer's skill set a whole lot faster than vice versa. The fact that the mathematicians/physicists skill set is so general in this regard leads me to think they must have an understanding about the world at some sort of deeper/more sophisticated/less applied level and that is the quality that I'm suggesting is so valuable in regards to critical thinking.

Maybe I'm just romanticizing these fields (I'm not a mathematician, I have a degree in physics but I'm definitely not a physicist), but I have a strong inkling that there is at least some truth to what I expressed in the prior paragraph.

PhD computer scientists who are stridently confident about their analyses conducted on random interweb CSVs
    I just wanted to win the argument via a "gotcha" (and I also wanted to see how the guy would reply); I wouldn't put actual weight behind anything I said. It was internet forum masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    It was internet forum masturbation.
    The world certainly needs more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    I can't believe what I'm hearing from Tucker. The guy has balls of steel.
    https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/stats/1381773332408852481
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    There was so much more, too. He even called out Reagan for his suicidal amnesty blunder. It was glorious.
    Tucker is doing what almost no one else on the right does: he attacks when expected to defend.
    He is now fighting both the Democratic party and the Republican party.
    I am gaining a lot of respect for the guy; He understands the impact he can have just by making this viewpoint available.
    He is brave enough to act, then stare down the inevitable character assasination, fabricated criminal allegations, government-sponsored harrassment and threats to his employment they will try to intimidate him with.
    They are not as strong as they want you to think they are; They can only control you if you choose to believe them when they tell you that you are overpowered and helpless.

...In my decade of university education, I have never had a professor mention any personal political beliefs in a lecture...
    I have never heard anyone honestly try to make this claim, even if they only attended a single week of university mathematics courses in the 1970s.

...The fact that the mathematicians/physicists skill set is so general in this regard leads me to think they must have an understanding about the world at some sort of deeper/more sophisticated/less applied level and that is the quality that I'm suggesting is so valuable in regards to critical thinking.

Maybe I'm just romanticizing these fields (I'm not a mathematician, I have a degree in physics but I'm definitely not a physicist), but I have a strong inkling that there is at least some truth to what I expressed in the prior paragraph.
    I recall a Physics Today article saying something similar back in the early 90’s (late 80’s?). That a trained physicist walking down the street bears a natural /authority/ over the rest because of, what, his deep sympathy with the physical universe - expressed in the exquisite mental abilities you allude to.

Oh the humanity. Academic STEM abilities often run in a very narrow stream.

Many of the most brilliant are brain-dirtied leftist climate alarmists.

Clay feet through the ages. Isaac Newton had significant interest in the occult - a mind as keen as his could not resist the spirit of the age.

Michael Yeadon Interview - Former Pfizer VP explains virus variants - there is only 0,3% difference from original Sars-Cov 2 virus, not enough to fool immune system.
    https://twitter.com/conspiracyguy78/...579145729?s=19

Don't let the media know about this site -- they might come to realize that variants and mutations are a normal, natural and safe phenomenon. On the other hand, they might have a field day on how much they can scare everyone knowing that there are thousands of variants that we are currently aware of.
    auspice

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Now, look at this silly bullshit: CDC chief admits they have NO proof J&J vaccine causes blood clots | Daily Mail Online
    Can you think of another overreaction?????
    They were aware of the thrombosis correlation at least since 2007 Adenovirus-Platelet Interaction in Blood Causes Virus Sequestration to the Reticuloendothelial System of the Liver | Journal of Virology

I have heard from reliable sources that the FDA even mentioned this issue in the actual original FDA briefing. When I find the doc I will post it.

The thought police are in full effect, this is scary shit! Read everything here COVID-19 medical misinformation policy - YouTube Help

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    The thought police are in full effect, this is scary shit! Read everything here COVID-19 medical misinformation policy - YouTube Help
    Oh, good. Look:

Prevention misinformation: Content that promotes prevention methods that contradict local health authorities or WHO.

Claims that there is a guaranteed prevention method for COVID-19
    Claims that any medication or vaccination is a guaranteed prevention method for COVID-19
    Content that recommends use of Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine for the prevention of COVID-19
    Claims that wearing a mask is dangerous or causes negative physical health effects
    Claims that masks do not play a role in preventing the contraction or transmission of COVID-19
    Content that promotes prevention methods that contradict local health authorities or WHO, despite the fact that they are wrong.

And a thrilling development in Criminal Justice: White Cop Charged With Murder... Black Cop Walks Free... | Populist Press 2021 (C)