COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events - Page 1263

starting strength gym
Page 1263 of 1360 FirstFirst ... 2637631163121312531261126212631264126512731313 ... LastLast
Results 12,621 to 12,630 of 13598

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

  1. #12621
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    149

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2021
    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    God bless the Babylon Bee. The freaking best. They're exactly what we need right now. Seth Dillon is an American Hero in my book

  2. #12622
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    45,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    God bless the Babylon Bee. The freaking best. They're exactly what we need right now. Seth Dillon is an American Hero in my book
    In Closing Argument, Prosecutor Tearfully Addresses Each Juror By Name, Phone Number, And Street Address | The Babylon Bee

  3. #12623
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Seems Like Everywhere I Go, People Are Enjoying Knives (The Simpsons) - YouTube

    Any other former Boy Scouts, or Simpsons watchers, out there?

  4. #12624
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Hahahahaha this is too damn funny. It's a shame (but not surprising at all) that the Dems want the Bee cancelled.

  5. #12625
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    It is true of every group of humans everywhere.
    Who has denied this?

    But there is a huge difference between being a bad....well, almost anything, and being a bad cop. What happens to someone thanks to an interaction with a bad cop is far worse than most other bad interactions with bad people. Not to mention, that an interaction with a bad cop is not something that can necessarily be avoided and once it happens the noncop has no choice but to continue to suffer the consequences of that interaction until the cop decides it is over.

    We meet assholes all the time, but we can ignore them and walk away most every time. Not when they are a cop.

    Ironically, the most similar comparison is an interaction with a criminal trying to rob, rape or assault you. Most everything else is apples and oranges comparisons because the interaction is voluntary.

    That extra power deserves extra scrutiny.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    You have also been extremely generalized in your criticism of police, and that simply isn't warranted from what I've seen.
    That is simply false. I have made some general statements about law enforcement that are generally true, but I have said just as much about the actual examples presented here on the boards. You have decided that those somehow extrapolate to some anti-cop attitude on my part, but that is nonsense. I've never said most cops or even a lot of cops are bad. I've given no scale whatsoever, so there's no way you have any idea if I am being fair or not in general. You can only know these things specific claims. Something you never seem to address.

    You have, however, been entirely general yourself in responding to me. Your criticisms and assumptions about me, on the other hand, have been as specific as they have been wrong. This has been from the very first interaction until now.

    How about addressing actual claims I have actually made or trying to clarify what I meant when I am critical of a specific cop or how law enforcement is done in general instead of the assumptions and strawmen about me?

    That'd probably do more for reconciliation than anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    So, how about we do both? Get rid of the organizational terrorists and also properly fund and train law enforcement.
    I have no problem with this in theory, but until the problem of hiring and retaining the wrong people is fixed (and that doesn't just mean bad people, but also the people who have zero business doing the job) it's just throwing good money after bad.

    Although I am not terribly convinced that lack of funds is the issue anyway. In almost every public sector "industry" there is plenty of cash going around, but plenty of it being wasted and misused. Training certainly should be a big chunk of law enforcement spending, but that may very well be an issue of redirecting funds from elsewhere rather than needing more.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Shockingly, this was true in all of my careers and jobs so far. It's ridiculous how much things would get better if people would just stop being shitty. I appreciate, sincerely, that you did something about it.
    No shortage of assholes, but as I said before, asshole cops are worse than most other kinds.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Law enforcement specifically gets called on to deal with people who make poor decisions. We get called to deal with crazy people. We get called to do welfare checks. We have to pull over the drunk driver. We don't get the same type or a choice for our clients. Now, you could make the argument that we picked the profession, and that's a fair point. But regular humans we be... it takes a toll, and you really don't want the guys who are getting veteran enough to be really effective at their job to be burned out to the point where they now contribute to the problem or quit.
    Nobody is saying that the job isn't hard, but that is all the more reasons assholes (and otherwise unqualified people) shouldn't be doing it. Only exceptional people should be doing it.

    It sucks that people get embittered and burnt out dealing with scum, but they still have no business being on the job if that affects how they do it. And if that means we run out of people to be cops, then maybe that'll have a long term positive of people finally policing themselves, the utter lack of which is why the job is so hard in the first place anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    The tax payer is the problem because they are also the voter. They can also run for office. The police are also tax payers, and they have to deal with the consequences of shitty prosecutors and legislators on a much more personal level than the average tax payer. The average police officer also can't fire the bad apples -- that's usually an administrative position that may well be elected or appointed directly by those who were elected. I am ALSO a tax payer, and I am just as equally guilty.
    There's a lot of assumptions there.

    First off, votes often don't get you what you voted for....even when they get counted fairly.......and even when you win.

    Second, a lot of the admin type jobs have no practical relationship to me voting in "my" guy in. Those leeches are gonna die before they lose the job they got three guys back.

    Thirdly, most people simply cannot know any of the inner workings of any of the legal system. They have no personal experience and many have no capacity to understand it anyway. And getting and staying informed is a requirement that is at least as time consuming as cop training. It's unfair to even expect it.

    But none of that matters anyway when it come to bad cops being bad cops. It's is their own fault for being one.

    We can blame lack of reach or effectiveness on a lot of other factors the individual cop has little to no control over, but nobody is making anyone punch that kid in the face in the one case or to confuse their gun for their taser the other. That's on them. The former is a dick and the later is a moron that should have never filled out the application in the first place.

    Any "reason" other than the bad choices of the officer themselves could also be used to defend every scumbag the police interact with. Environment, education, peer pressure etc. certainly skew the level of temptation to be bad for, but at the end of the day choices are the pivot point of whether we are the good guy or the bad guy in any particular situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Gerald, do you know where you are? Profanity, and sexist and racist slurs are most of whet we do here.
    Aren't those this thread's love language?

  6. #12626
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Although the Babylon Bee is satire, the Minneapolis StarTribune published a profile of the 12 jurors deliberating in the trial of Derek Chauvin. Also, the presiding judge plans to release the names of the jurors in six months. If jurors knew that their names would become public, I expect at least some of them would be concerned about the repercussions for voting the "wrong" way.

    Also from the Babylon Bee: Minneapolis Target Holds Semi-Annual 'Everything Is Free' Sale

  7. #12627
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't see the parallels, Matt, not at all. We are in a very un-permissive society here in the US, and seeing the sexual decadence of Berlin as a parallel to Pete Buttigieg-politics is rather shallow. The only parallel I see is the book burning, which is spooling up right now.
    I am surprised you say that. At least then these things were confined to seedy back alley nightclubs. You have Desmond Is Amazing/Cuties/etc. being piped straight into American living rooms. Unlimited, free, streaming porn on kids' phones.

    The legacy of Magnus Hirschfeld and the Berlin Institute of Sexology lives on and his job is pretty much done. Now, it's no longer subversive leftist academics doing this work, the coastal elite and neoliberalism itself is doing the job on Hirschfeld's behalf.

  8. #12628
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    254

    Default

    I think the right leaning media's view that, as a result of all this anti-white, woke politics white cops are going to suddenly quit, or fail to apply in sufficient numbers, is just false.

    As jobs increasingly get outsourced, what else is available to these not-very-bright, woke-compliant, administrative-type white guys? It may be an underpaid and undertrained role, but the police is literally the perfect job for these people! They will have no trouble filling their ranks.

    I had a brief interaction with a squeaky-voiced, self important Police Constable who was enthusiastically going about his Covid-19 policing duties. As I came away, all I could think was how good he was in that particular role. Unthinkingly enforcing the soft totalitarianism of the managerial state is literally the perfect fit for someone with those special traits.

  9. #12629
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Seems Like Everywhere I Go, People Are Enjoying Knives (The Simpsons) - YouTube

    Any other former Boy Scouts, or Simpsons watchers, out there?
    Gibb's rule no. 9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

  10. #12630
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    832

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    First off, if I'm being manipulated, explain how what I'm seeing in that video is not what I'm seeing. Or perhaps you would share your opinion on the case of Donni Wright, a man standing about 25 feet from the police when Officer Francisco Garcia decides to close the distance, assault him and claim that he did something that warranted the attack, handcuffing and arrest. Officer Garcia Officer was never charged, instead he got to retire. I could spend all day and the next, listing what you called “statistically insignificant occurrence rate” It's not an “statistically insignificant occurrence rate” to those that it happens.
    Thank you for making my point for me. It IS an insignificant occurrence rate compared to the amount of positive police interactions. You are being manipulated because you are not being shown (or may not care to even see at this point) the positive interactions. Just like how the news didn't run all of the feel-good recovery rates. It's probably also why any positive police interaction has been labeled as "copaganda" in the last two to three years. Is it a personal tragedy for those involved? Absolutely. It's why I take my job so seriously, and it's why I wanted to be involved in policing -- to make a difference even if it's small.

    https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cbpp18st.pdf


    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    While the police are very much maligned by the media, it's the police that give the media the base for it. It's like stereotypes, mostly untruth, but almost always there's a kernel of truth. Until the police are seen to actively police their own, things are only going to get worse.
    Taser-wielding cop punches bystander during social-distancing bust
    Right. Because an officer in New York City is at all comparable to me. Things are only going to get worse because you're allowing yourself to get drawn along. You know what else has a lot of truth to it? Propaganda.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I would appreciate it, if you refrain from using profanity and sexist, racist slurs, unless you're trying to reinforce an negative opinion of LEO's
    First off, I was being rhetorical, and I'm unfamiliar with what about that was sexist or racist. I've given up paying attention to what society now deems it to be on the assumption that eventually everything will be some form of micro/macro aggression before too much longer.

    A primer for you:
    31 Common Rhetorical Devices and Examples | Merriam-Webster

    Unless, of course, I didn't notice your sarcasm font. In which case... bravo.

    Secondly, I can't help you on the vulgarity. I've tried, but I can't shake my Marine dialect... and my chef wife certainly doesn't fucking help.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Who has denied this?

    But there is a huge difference between being a bad....well, almost anything, and being a bad cop. What happens to someone thanks to an interaction with a bad cop is far worse than most other bad interactions with bad people. Not to mention, that an interaction with a bad cop is not something that can necessarily be avoided and once it happens the noncop has no choice but to continue to suffer the consequences of that interaction until the cop decides it is over.

    We meet assholes all the time, but we can ignore them and walk away most every time. Not when they are a cop.

    Ironically, the most similar comparison is an interaction with a criminal trying to rob, rape or assault you. Most everything else is apples and oranges comparisons because the interaction is voluntary.

    That extra power deserves extra scrutiny.
    Cool. What qualifies you to be that scrutiny? Serious question... I don't want to assume.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    That is simply false. I have made some general statements about law enforcement that are generally true, but I have said just as much about the actual examples presented here on the boards. You have decided that those somehow extrapolate to some anti-cop attitude on my part, but that is nonsense. I've never said most cops or even a lot of cops are bad. I've given no scale whatsoever, so there's no way you have any idea if I am being fair or not in general. You can only know these things specific claims. Something you never seem to address.

    You have, however, been entirely general yourself in responding to me. Your criticisms and assumptions about me, on the other hand, have been as specific as they have been wrong. This has been from the very first interaction until now.

    How about addressing actual claims I have actually made or trying to clarify what I meant when I am critical of a specific cop or how law enforcement is done in general instead of the assumptions and strawmen about me?

    That'd probably do more for reconciliation than anything else.
    Fair enough, then what questions do you have of me? I certainly didn't intend to strawman you, so please ask something you'd like to know. Keep in mind that my department restricts me from discussing policy and other things publicly, so my hands are tied on a lot of things. I'll do my best, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    I have no problem with this in theory, but until the problem of hiring and retaining the wrong people is fixed (and that doesn't just mean bad people, but also the people who have zero business doing the job) it's just throwing good money after bad.

    Although I am not terribly convinced that lack of funds is the issue anyway. In almost every public sector "industry" there is plenty of cash going around, but plenty of it being wasted and misused. Training certainly should be a big chunk of law enforcement spending, but that may very well be an issue of redirecting funds from elsewhere rather than needing more.
    Cool, what do you think we should do to fix the situation if we can't just fund it or blast our way out with personnel termination? What funds do departments have that you'd like to see them spend on training?

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    And if that means we run out of people to be cops, then maybe that'll have a long term positive of people finally policing themselves, the utter lack of which is why the job is so hard in the first place anyway.
    I think this is a fantastic point, but if history serves it would NOT work out well. Peacekeepers in societies have existed for thousands of years. Who knows, though?

    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Aren't those this thread's love language?
    Absolutely, emphatically agree.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •