starting strength gym
Page 1355 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 3558551255130513451353135413551356135713651405145518552355 ... LastLast
Results 13,541 to 13,550 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Give us an historical example of a monopoly that was established without the help of the government.
    Mark what about the American Tabacco Company?

Tell us about it, wal. Looks to me as though they were just a big company, not a monopoly. Still waiting to hear from George about this. He said:

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Nothing short of good governance is actually going to stop monopolies.
    I'm saying that there has never been a true monopoly that wasn't facilitated by a government, "good" or otherwise. Monopolies do not occur in the absence of regulations that prevent competition. I asked for an example, and he wanted to know my point.

Kind of like republicanism and liberalism go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    Could just be you.

"carefully prepared but delivered without notes or text" Extemporaneous | Definition of Extemporaneous by Merriam-Webster

"previously planned but delivered with the help of few or no notes:
    extemporaneous lectures." Extemporaneous - definition of extemporaneous by The Free Dictionary

I'm going to bet that most his idiot viewers took it to mean that it was a relatively impromptu break from the regular format and the previous and following videos that were building upon each other.

But his shirt is ugly, so I guess I'll disregard the actual content.

Fair enough. I concede.

I'm less pessimistic for our form of government and not ready to join the Legion of Doom over it.

Harris has had a terrible week. It appears the MSM is having buyer's remorse about her. First Lester Holt and then a reporter from Univision challenge her about the border. Not quite on the level of a Jim Acosta or Sam Donaldson of old, but this may result in her being rendered unelectable in 2024.

CNN: Biden Admin Officials "Quietly Perplexed" About Kamala Harris's Interview With Lester Holt | Video | RealClearPolitics

Kamala Harris snaps at Univision anchor while pressed on when she'''ll visit border: '''I'''m not finished''' | Fox News

Then, with all the despair over SCOTUS and the election challenges we get this:

Supreme Court unanimously rules against immigrants with temporary status

Not even the liberal justices got behind a dissent. It appears that perhaps any court packing schemes might require even more leftist justices than anticipated

Finally, the DNC knows it's in trouble in 2022. Their spokesguy diagnosed the why of their troubles, but he couldn't quite seem to make the leap to disavow the radicalism that is losing them not only non-white voters, but others as well.

Democrats Wait Too Long To Reach Black Voters, A Report Says : NPR

As bad as the current situation is, I can't help but remember when Carter was in office. Double digit inflation, Three Mile Island, and a foreign policy that gave us the rise of the terrorist Islamic state in Iran. To name just some of the more egregious things that happened during his term. Yet we got over him and his BS with two terms of Reagan.

This too shall pass.

And then there's this: RETRACTED
    This a much bigger deal than a lot of folks realize. Bret W.‘s videos remain up on YouTube too.

Very interesting.

Our friend, Tom Woods, on monopolies and robber barons:

The Robber Barons and the Progressive Era | Tom Woods - YouTube

Tell us about it, wal. Looks to me as though they were just a big company, not a monopoly. Still waiting to hear from George about this. He said:

I'm saying that there has never been a true monopoly that wasn't facilitated by a government, "good" or otherwise. Monopolies do not occur in the absence of regulations that prevent competition. I asked for an example, and he wanted to know my point.
    Sorry Mark, I might have gone off half cocked here. I am freezing here at the moment while you folk have a monopoly on the sunshine and I just cannot get my head around your statement.

"I'm saying that there has never been a true monopoly that wasn't facilitated by a government, "good" or otherwise. Monopolies do not occur in the absence of regulations that prevent competition. I asked for an example, and he wanted to know my point."

Can you spell it out for me, the ATC I thought was a true "monopoly" according to the definition of the word, till anti trust laws broke it up in 1907.

When I was working for the Electrical Distribution Industry back in the 80's it was run by a bunch of small distributors (owned by the public) each of which had their own franchise area that covered the state, till the government stepped in and said there was no competition and consequently dissolved them all seizing the assets and formed about three big companies run by independent boards but under state control, this the government said was to bring in true competition for the price of energy to the consumer, however what they did not disclose to the general public was that they allowed foreign companies to buy our generating and distribution assets and thus removed the ownership from the public of which they originally belonged to and took the money they sold them for and put it into the state coffers. So the only true monopoly here were the state governments who took possession and controlled the supply of energy under the guise of competition policy. Is that what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Today, I was literally assaulted by two teenage girls. Maybe they were offended by my Rogue/American Made t-shirt, I don't know.

As they were throwing rocks at me and giving me the finger, I just kept walking to my old Jeep in disbelief.

I might be getting older, but I'm still pretty strong, and around 210.

How the hell do two 100 pound teen girls think they can pull this crap??

Eh, not familiar enough about either, I'll take Kristi...
    On memorial day, I was driving up to my girlfriend's parents' place to enjoy some barbecue. On the way out of my town, I came upon three kids, one of whom was running around in the road with a rainbow flag. Naturally I slowed down to avoid hitting a child with my car. After she returned to her friends in the driveway, they waved their signs/flags and shouted at me very angrily. I had no idea what the hell they were saying. One of them had a sign with a weird angry face colored with rainbow stripes. I'm not sure what the point of this display was. It's not a good way to garner support for any cause.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Laureys View Post
    Dammit it always all comes back to immigration, doesn't it?
    It certainly does to you.