starting strength gym
Page 1369 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 3698691269131913591367136813691370137113791419146918692369 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,690 of 30183

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm all for freedoms. But your freedoms end when they broach on mine. This is a famous calling card for my liberal friends, but then when I highlight the fact that I pay for their lifestyle choices in every single purchase I make and they proceed to lose their god damn minds. I am an elitist uncaring bastard and do not understand "systemic this or that." I can't tell you how many times I've heard about how people in inner cities don't have access to grocery stores as a response to my recommendation that we all exercise a little more and take more responsibility for the crap we shove down our mouth holes. Both political sides have forgotten two very important things.

We are individual units affected by other individual units that make up the societal apparatus that we all belong to. It is our responsibility to take care of ourselves, and thus by doing so we eliminate unnecessary burdens our actions may create for others. We had to shut down the entire country and peddle bad science because we were unwilling or unable to accept that fact. What irks me is that if we were to recognize that fact we probably wouldn't need nearly as many guns or regulations or mandates or police officers or governmental oversight or divorce proceedings or insert other society evil. Here's one important one - healthcare costs. People lose their fucking minds over free trade agreements shipping their jobs overseas but are shitty employees that cost their employers untold money in largely preventable healthcare costs. The world would be a better place if we all collectively decided that we ourselves are worthy of being cared for. We search for answers outside of ourselves. A pill for this and a pill for that.

Get underneath a damn barbell. Squat a little bit. Walk. Try to eat better. Tell your wife you love her. Engage in conversations with people you disagree with (you might fucking learn something as if learning something is bad). Our response to co-vid has utterly depressed me and made me lose faith in our nation.

So yes I am kind of heated you misinterpreted my answer. But I still respect you as the genius you are in the world of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Understood and I believe very well established.

Do we know if the demographic known as the “dying anyway” lost time on earth because of Covid in a statistically significant way?

It's a grim topic but if matters greatly in understanding the lessons of the response.

I don't know what the number is, but there is no question that the "dying anyway" were not going to die on that day had they not been infected with SARS-CoV-2. How many total years of lost life would be acceptable?

I'm not saying that everything has been handled correctly or that looking back, things could have been done differently. However, as someone who has made recommendations on how to run an institution during this pandemic, I can say that not a single one of my recommendations have been politically motivated. I'm not unique in that either.

By the way...Ebola virus would've very likely killed fewer people in the US than this has. Ebola virus is more difficult to transmit, it's easier to identify infected individuals, and those that have it generally aren't out mingling with everyone else. They're in bed...dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    I don't know what the number is, but there is no question that the "dying anyway" were not going to die on that day had they not been infected with SARS-CoV-2. How many total years of lost life would be acceptable?
    Is that the only metric you are concerned with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is that the only metric you are concerned with?

Of course not. Nor do I pretend that we can get that metric to be 0. Nor do I think that we should even try to get that metric to be 0.

The thing that seems to be missed in many of these conversations is that there are more than the following two options:
    1) Lock everyone in their homes and wait for it to pass.
    2) Pretending like it doesn't exist and wishing Grandma good luck.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do know that is somewhere between these two terrible options.

I'm not saying that everything has been handled correctly or that looking back, things could have been done differently. However, as someone who has made recommendations on how to run an institution during this pandemic, I can say that not a single one of my recommendations have been politically motivated. I'm not unique in that either.

By the way...Ebola virus would've very likely killed fewer people in the US than this has. Ebola virus is more difficult to transmit, it's easier to identify infected individuals, and those that have it generally aren't out mingling with everyone else. They're in bed...dying.
    What amount of lost life for EVERYONE is acceptable to prevent lost life for people susceptible to COVID?

You also just pointed out (inadvertently) that the reason COVID spreads so much compared to Ebola is because it is far, far less deadly.

Bold assertion. While you may be right, it's important to know. Are we talking hours? Days? Year's? It's also quite possible that improper treatment and handling took time away from the “dying anyway” group.

First let's establish if we did net good or net bad. We can't address the details and deep ethical questions until we know what actually happened. I'm thinking the numbers for the “dying anyway” should have the best statistics and data. But that is a hunch.

DR BYRAM BRIDLE SPEAKS OUT ABOUT COVID VACCINES IN CANADA

Starting at 1:00, Dr Bridle shares details of the smear campaign that has turned his life upside down. Good overview of his concerns about the vaccines starts at 8:30. He says he doesn't recognize his own country (Canada) anymore.

See Canadian Covid Care Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    It is obvious that an aeroslized virion-loaded droplet can be suspended in the air. It is obvious that the turbulent flow of air inside of a building is sufficient to distribute the aerosols, and the only factor increasing the likelihood of infection is the density of virions relative to the volume of air. There's also not a lot of UV radiation inside. It's also pretty obvious that even filtrete can't stop it -- especially with poor PPE compliance and fitment. Something that not even trained medical professionals have ever adhered to...

But more than anything, John, point to the fucking EXACT point in the data that clearly shows where the MANDATES had a significant and obvious impact on the pandemic's propagation. Don't forget to factor in the approximate 23 day period from case identification to mortality.

I'll wait, but mostly for Seattle to finish collapsing.
    David, I think I am the John you are referring to (b/c of the Seattle comment) but I have no idea what you mean. I agree with you and agree with nearly everything you’ve posted on this board.

I am in the extreme of anti mask and anti lockdown. I also think seattle blows.

Of course not. Nor do I pretend that we can get that metric to be 0. Nor do I think that we should even try to get that metric to be 0.

The thing that seems to be missed in many of these conversations is that there are more than the following two options:
    1) Lock everyone in their homes and wait for it to pass.
    2) Pretending like it doesn't exist and wishing Grandma good luck.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I do know that is somewhere between these two terrible options.
    The right answer was to protect Grandma and leave everybody else alone. That hadn't occurred to you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The right answer was to protect Grandma and leave everybody else alone. That hadn't occurred to you?
    Of course it has. That's one of those options in the middle I mentioned. What do you think we should have done to protect Grandma while having no effect on anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    First let's establish if we did net good or net bad. We can't address the details and deep ethical questions until we know what actually happened.
    This is a fair point. It's difficult to know for certain without a crystal ball, though. Excess mortality data points in that direction, though.