starting strength gym
Page 1408 of 2996 FirstFirst ... 4089081308135813981406140714081409141014181458150819082408 ... LastLast
Results 14,071 to 14,080 of 29954

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    Let’s do a slight pivot.

How does this really end? Because it WILL End…
    Why?? The inane responses to 9/11 never ended. And with THESE responses, the mentally unwell portion of the population (Dem voters) ENJOY the muzzling, and the authoritarian-leaning amongst us (both parties-many of those store workers probably ENJOY enforcing the mask mandates!) LOVE bossing everyone around. The non-workers love being paid not to work, non-teachers love being paid not to teach, government "workers" love not having to hold in-person working hours, politicians LOVE easily-farmed mail-in votes, big businesses LOVE seeing the others get CRUSHED, Pharma loves its EUA injection$, hospitals & doctors will LOVE how much sicker we all get...

There is too much about all of this that too many LOVE for it to organically end; the subsidized and artificially-motivated parts of it all need to be physically ended for any hope of the END you optimistically foresee.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    And their pride for their country is absolute.
    I bet these fair weather protestors take all the nation gives though to support them to get into these sports. Hypocrites. They drag down the whole team and those that are not there for their own personal political agenda. The associations are also culpable by allowing them to get a foot hold in these sports.

This is not going away anytime soon. I probably talk too much psychology for some people, but these issues are deep seeded. Many folks think this is immaturity, simply corrected with correction (defund, aging, discipline, a job, etc.)but it will not for most. Most of these people are too dumb to see they are wrong. They will not correct their behavior or grow out of it. They may become less impulsive, but their entitlement will last a lifetime. With the internet recording their every action, they have no reason to quit or change, only double-down. We are in a world of misery when these people become leaders. They are already starting to take these positions ... blue dog Dems have nothing on these people. It will be a slow and steady decay, as more disciplined folks drop out of the American experiment . We will be left with a territory of people ready to be taken over. China is not fucking around, they are pissed about the 1800’s and will stop at nothing to regain their dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Good, I hope all the normal people watching the Olympics and seeing these flag and anthem related shitshows again and again have it hammered into their heads how fucked up this country is right now. How we are basically embarrassing ourselves abroad by holding up people who hate us as our representatives.

Although the rules weren't always evenly applied, violating expectations about behavior was grounds for dismissal on any team I've ever competed on.

Even though THC is only banned for in-competition tests, Michael Phelps was suspended for three-months for a conduct violation as a result of a picture of him with a bong. Ryan Lochte was suspended for 10 months for embellishing a story about an incident in Rio.

Let’s do a slight pivot.

I am glad that there is widespread, and likely a majority, opposition growing in the West. I am still worried that the other side will insist on ruination and bloodshed. I don't say this to be apocalyptic, but instead because I have been unable to find a relevant historical example where it has not. We are in a time of chaos and change, so it's far from a settled thing.

How do you see it ending?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Hi Eric, my apologies, I wasn't avoiding your question. This thread though often moves much faster than I get to check the site, and just now found it several pages back. My examples have been plenty over the years. When I was in the military (EOD), I spent many years on the Utah Test & Training Range, where explosive propogation shelf life testing was/is conducted. Here are some:

1. On more than one occasion, when setting up for a test which involved sometimes weeks of painstaking placement of explosives, wiring, cameras and pressure transducers (all at the direction of the explosive engineers who devise the tests) we would be told by the engineers that all the explosives being tested were off centerline by several inches. But instead of simply moving the pressure transducers and cameras (the lightweight stuff) a few inches, we would have to manually move tons of explosives, and another week of work.

2. Another of our responsibilities was disposal of old inventory that was beyond its shelf life, this included all ICBM motors too. We knew where we were supposed to place the charges to initiate a safe burn, and on occasion, wound up in disagreements with the engineers "in charge" for where the shaped charge rings were supposed to be placed. Trouble was the engineers were not taking into account the fact that they had cross-section cut the explosive propellent in the motors leaving a void. This almost always caused a detonation instead of the desired burn (kind of like having 200lb on one side of a barbell and 25lb on the other). On these ICBM stage motors, we're talking about 10,000-30,000 pounds of explosives and the associated shock waves and overpressure from atmospheric focusing, which would travel across the lake and back to the city 30 miles away.

3. On one occasion, we had never been told of the hazards of internal static buildup within internal stress fractures of cross-sectioned propellent, even though the engineering and safety community had known for years. On one particular day, when trying to dispose of the propellent using the same "tried and true" procedures we always had used and were in fact in our manuals and approved guides, one of the boxes ignited and proceeded to set the rest on fire (6 tons worth). I wasn't on this particular operation, but did see the videos involving my friends and coworkers. We nearly lost 20 people that day, all of whom fortunately got away safely, and the resulting damages were over I believe $600,000 in vehicles and equipment, in 1990's dollars. All because those in the know never saw the need to distribute the information down because it wasn't deemed important to them compared to whatever else they were working on.

4. After I retired from the military, I spent about 6-7 years working in IT, providing network admin, network security and user support for a software development community. The software engineers and web developers were very smart and knowledgeable in their respective specialty. But they couldn't think their way through simple issues, and I was constantly having to reclose security holes they kept opening, especially on our web servers, because they couldn't figure out how to write anything without using the "full control/all" settings being in place. Twice the website was hacked, and our web developers could never figure out how, even though we kept telling them. And most of the time, they had no idea what time of day it was - and I'm not kidding on that. These are the same people who have no idea of how to do simple tasks or repairs around their house, and are incapable of following a simple instruction sheet for putting things together. I walked away from the IT world seeing that software engineers are some of the absolute dumbest and most clueless smart people I've ever known.
    Hi Steve, also not avoiding your post, just been busy.

Obviously I'm not you and can't argue your experiences and am unfamiliar with the technical aspects of your field(s) so can't really dispute anything there either. What I can say is that most of the time when I've heard technicians or other "lay people" (not a disparaging term here) complain about issues like what you've posted above, there is usually some other constraint that they are unaware of or don't think matters and trivialize the matter by just saying "they don't know what they're doing". Then again, maybe you've just had the misfortune of working with some stupid people over your career.

Also, I'd argue that anything you've experienced that happened on more than one occasion was the fault of management, not your engineering staff.

Now, I won't disagree with some of the points you made in #4. I definitely think many engineers coming out of school today lack mechanical aptitude (I was one for sure). But I don't think this is because they are "dumb smart people", I think the problem is a combination of modern life (e.g., you may never actually have to change your own car's oil or tires) and poor education by Universities/Colleges, because mechanical aptitude is not a priority for them (at least, it was not for mine). The requirement to teach these newly graduated engineers then falls on the organizations that hire them after school, and the learning curve ends up leaving a bad taste in others' mouths. As I've stepped into my first management role and begun interviewing more and more engineers for jobs, this is becoming more and more obvious to me.

All that being said, I've also often found that after relatively brief exposure to many of these topics, many engineers become just as knowledgeable and mechanically adept as the technicians that previously mocked them. They are generally adaptable and creative problem solvers when given the right challenge. Again, this doesn't mean there aren't those who are technically incompetent (I've known plenty too), but that is usually because they are immature in their field.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    I agree that this the ideal way to make these decisions. I'm not convinced that we can come up with a set of numbers that we can all agree on.
    I am. Let's talk about conditional probability and safety. Most safety (and health) scenarios evolve from an initiating event (IE), or condition. For example, you're very unlikely to be attacked by a shark if you never went into water. If you do go in the water, your chances are 1 in 11.5 million (Wikipedia). Mathematically, the overall probability is the product of the IE and the actual risk. In the case of staying out of the water, it's 0*1/11.5million = 0.

Now, let's apply this to the COVID situation. For me to die from either COVID itself or unexpected side effects of the vaccine, I have to get one of them. As time goes on and I continue to see that nobody that I actually know is getting this disease, my assessment is that the likelihood that I will actually get it is continuing to go down. On top of that, as more and more death rate "data" are collected, I realize more and more that even if I did get it, I'm very unlikely to actually die from it. These two combined factors, when multiplied, effectively reduce the risk of death to very unlikely (for me).

Also, I can more or less control the likelihood of getting it, because I can choose to not go out or to avoid people who look sickly in public.

Now, no matter what the vaccine data may indicate about the risk of death, because I have the choice to get the vaccine (for now), that first multiplier is either a 1 or a 0. As long as I choose not to get it, my risk of dying from it is zero. If I do get it, I open myself up to the risk of dying from it. It may be unlikely, but getting it still makes it greater than zero, and right now makes it greater than the risk of dying from COVID-19 itself.

What these numbers are to you or anyone else is your/their business, but I think there's no arguing that the logical basis for assessing the risk should be the same for everyone.

Let’s do a slight pivot.

I asked an MD / PhD (epidemiology) that question a year ago. The Answer: "It ends when the people decide it's over".

I'm hopeful "they" have gone too far this time causing enough people to accept the following:

Everything is backwards. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Psychiatrists destroy minds. Scientists destroy truth. The media destroys information. Religions destroy spirituality. Governments destroy freedom.

Doctors destroy health. In fact, they are required to do this. If a doctor suggested a "cure" to a patient other than that deemed acceptable by the CDC (and the media), then that doctor would lose his or her license to practice medicine. He could even face prison time. Without his medical license, how will he pay back his $300,000 in student loans?

Until sufficient numbers recognize & accept the above, many will die unnecessarily.

starting strength coach development program
    News Roundup | WHO Eyes ?Protecting? Ivermectin from use for COVID-19, Refocus on NTD Programs - YouTube

Dr. Jane Ruby exposed evidence proving that the federal government agencies were aware of serious heart complications caused by the very injections they're trying to push on your kids.
    EXPOSED! CDC & FDA KNEW COVID Injections Would Lead to Heart Complications, Still Pushing for Kids

1 in 2500 mainly noticed in youth.
    The question I have. Is this phenomenon a pediatric and adolescent issue because there is more signal than noise wheras adults have more noise and therefore can be hidden easier. Or is this mainly an issue for the pediatric and adolescent groups?
    In other words kids generally speaking don't have heart issues and therefore can be noticed more than adults. Or is this a problem mainly for youth.