starting strength gym
Page 1469 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 4699691369141914591467146814691470147114791519156919692469 ... LastLast
Results 14,681 to 14,690 of 30039

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie Hartmann View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but the US doesn't spend close to half of its budget or tax revenue on the military, more like 15%. People always seem to get this wrong by looking at the discretionary budget.

?
    He brings that up every few months.

His “trick” this time is he claims defense budget from actual tax collected. In which case it’s closer to 20%. He doesn’t understand the difference between discretionary (eduction, environment, etc.) and statutory (Obama care, Medicare, etc.).

However, in terms of government SPENDING it’s about 10% this year. Just like all other third world countries.

What's with this board's staunch defense of our military spending? I believe in peace through strength and protecting our wealth, but Jonas' "arguments" can be dismantled without bolstering the idea that we need to police the world. As evidenced in the many conflicts the US has engaged in around the world, there is a strong defender's advantage, monetarily and militarily. Why not pull back and strengthen our defense? Do we really need our fingers in every pie? Do you believe that we're safer than if we had spent the same or less while from abstaining from endless wars around the world?
    I don't think the board is a staunch defender of the defense budget. But at least when you buy bombs and guns, you actually get something for your money, unlike the war on poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post

However, in terms of government SPENDING it’s about 10% this year. Just like all other third world countries.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MFCPete View Post
    I fucking despise with every ounce of my being these stupid fucking terms dreamt up by the media/gov the “delta variant”. It’s a strain of fucking flu and these idiots treat it like some Hollywood movie coming up with moronic names every time it changes slightly

Reminds me of some of the silly bullshit we had to listen to from UK Gov last year “Operation moonshot”

This whole thing is being ran by 12 year olds I swear
    It is not the stupid delta variant but the highly transmissible delta variant

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by conradbc View Post
    Rip,
    can you send a link to that actual graph please. Try to find it on the CDC site but having trouble.
    THanks!
    CDC COVID Data Tracker

Filter by deaths and age.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post

A micro example: BJJ is good to learn body mechanics, splaying, etc. But a lot of officers, even, think it's just the bee's knees. Well, I've had to do defensive tactics, including ground fighting with a full duty belt on, and I can tell you that if you go to the ground with that you're done for. Ever tried working from the guard or while in the mount with a big-ass holster on one side and 35 extra pounds around your hips? It's worse on concrete, too. Or asphalt. Or gravel. Or wet grass. Or in a trash pile (and probably more than a few dirty needles in there).
    I think you mean “sprawling.”

You folks keep talking about BJJ like we’re going to pull guard in a street fight. Real academies train self defense, along with competition sparring. This involves a lot of stand up technique, judo takedowns, catch wrestling takedowns, take down defense, jiu jitsu with weapon control, situational awareness, etc. You get really good at self defense when you drill self defense techniques and actually spar jiu jitsu as well. Most importantly, the mind becomes trained to handle physical confrontation without losing your shit.

This isn’t about rolling around on the ground with your oh-so-vulnerable duty belt exposed. It’s about controlling the situation and doing it with the poise and confidence of someone who trains. It’s going to take a real big, strong motherfucker to put a well trained BJJ practitioner on the ground or get a hold of their weapon.

Unhappy

The dreaded and scary, horrifying RONA. So deadly, folks may not know they have it until they get tested. Global population went up 80 million like it does it each year.
    Old people die, numbers similar to Flu and Rhino-Virus (common cold).. The humanity!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe I missed it, but the US doesn't spend close to half of its budget or tax revenue on the military, more like 15%. People always seem to get this wrong by looking at the discretionary budget.

What's with this board's staunch defense of our military spending? I believe in peace through strength and protecting our wealth, but Jonas' "arguments" can be dismantled without bolstering the idea that we need to police the world. As evidenced in the many conflicts the US has engaged in around the world, there is a strong defender's advantage, monetarily and militarily. Why not pull back and strengthen our defense? Do we really need our fingers in every pie? Do you believe that we're safer than if we had spent the same or less while from abstaining from endless wars around the world?
    There is a decent argument to be made that the US involvement in conflicts overseas actually makes money. Here is a speech by a Chinese general from 2015. A lot of it is pure bullshit bragging about how China is the greatest and the US sucks, but many parts are very good:
    One belt, one road - Limes
    For a more comprehensive analysis of this phenomenon I will once more suggest Michael Hudson’s “Supreimperialism”. The Chinese love that one, it seems that this speech draws heavily on the book’s. Not everything is as it seems. Hudson is a Marxist btw, I have to mention.

In irregular warfare, I suppose this is what a Navy Seal looks like:

VCSB - Jamie Haynes Questions Patricia Boswell Department of Health in Volusia County

starting strength coach development program
    I work for a children's hospital in DFW. Im in IT and work 100% remote. Just received the get vaxxed or get fired email.