starting strength gym
Page 1551 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 55110511451150115411549155015511552155315611601165120512551 ... LastLast
Results 15,501 to 15,510 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by magadorm View Post
    Could someone smarter than me take a look at this latest mask study.

This is already starting to be heralded as the gold standard proof that masks work.

This is the link for the news report: A 'Gold Standard' Clinical Trial Just Confirmed Masks DO Reduce The Spread of COVID

Here is the link to the pdf from the study: https://www.poverty-action.org/sites...ity_083121.pdf
    Maybe I’ll read the whole thing latter..

But I’ll be the asshole of the forum (first). It was a study done in Bangladesh for publication in the journal of poverty people. Come on man…

Only read the abstract…

Looks like an absolute risk reduction of 1%. The ~ 10% claim is relative risk reduction.

Also, the authors claim it is a scaleable result. I do not understand why. It is not as if they have, say, 10 RCT’s with increasing populations of Infected, up to 100% of participants. There is no proof that this is a linear system.

Much of the enthusiasm in the paper is on compliant mask-wearing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I have suggested that political correctness is to blame as root cause for the highly flawed Covid Response. This theory has been mostly dismissed .

I think there is a there there.
    What is political correctness other than the fear of social shaming used as a tool for control? You could argue that "political correctness" is the "root cause" for every totalitarian takeover in history. Without it, the psychic control of the public would be impossible. But you seem to be implying that in our case it's a spontaneously growing mold, rather than a mindset cultivated by nefarious actors. If you are correct, how would such an insight be useful to us right here and right now?

I like to use analogies of wizards and spell casting because I believe it triggers something in our primitive/intuitive brains that can be useful to breaking the spell. (I also believe the "wizards" exist, but that's beside the point.) People don't like to be tricked and manipulated. When they come to the conclusion that they've been tricked and manipulated, they get really mad and want someone to burn. I say we give them the best firewood we can find. Because if the good guys won't, the bad guys certainly will, and you could easily end up being on the menu. Humans crave scapegoats, and there is nothing you could ever do that will change that. Suggesting we throw some spontaneously growing mold in the fire won't do the trick. Cain tried that a long time ago: it didn't work then, and it won't work now. That is why your theory has been mostly dismissed.

Zoom Caller Trolls City Council Meeting. Amazing how he gets all of those important talking points in without missing a beat. Or breaking character.

Dallas City Council 08/04/2021 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    What is political correctness other than the fear of social shaming used as a tool for control? You could argue that "political correctness" is the "root cause" for every totalitarian takeover in history. Without it, the psychic control of the public would be impossible. But you seem to be implying that in our case it's a spontaneously growing mold, rather than a mindset cultivated by nefarious actors. If you are correct, how would such an insight be useful to us right here and right now?
    It is possible that political correctness has its roots in the guilt of inequality, Racism, sexism, classism, etc. And, perhaps a genuine effort to correct some problems. Most of us have a little tolerance for some of the silly shit. I think, however ,the harder people tried, the worse those problems got. Rather than a reset we keep trying harder. A common mistake humanity often makes.

Along comes COVID-19 and the scientific community divides into two camps. Natural herd immunity with protection for the vulnerable, or one size fits all, aka quarantine for all.

As we know, the latter won, and it is the option that is driven by political correctness as , in theory, it is neutral to race, class, age, etc. Of course the exact opposite occurred. Predictably too.

Did the sharks tip the scale? Probably, but that’s very different than an engineered conspiracy.

I’m glad we are having a discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I have suggested that political correctness is to blame as root cause for the highly flawed Covid Response. This theory has been mostly dismissed .

I think there is a there there.

I think this idea has some merit. Whether it is simple political correctness or whether it is the genuine belief that there should be shared responsibility for protecting those that are vulnerable will vary from person to person.
    There are also people who are not comfortable with the numbers of people who have died/will die...even if they understand that the overall percentage is low.

You either ARE or you ARE NOT immune to a given virus. There is no middle ground; the question is binary.

If you are immune then no amount of PPE is required. I will, right now, sporting natural immunity, walk into a Covid-19 ICU without any PPE on and sit there and observe for 30 minutes. I will do without fear because I am presumptively immune from the virus as a result of previous exposure, infection and recovery.

Anyone who believes the vaccines work is welcome to come with me on the same terms: 30 minutes in the ICU, no PPE.

If you believe you are immune due to vaccination then you should be perfectly willing to do this without a shred of fear that you will, in fact, get Covid-19. You're immune, or so you were told. That's the point of vaccination; you make you impervious to a given disease. Yes, in some very tiny percentage of persons, nearly every time as a result of being immune-compromised, the vaccination fails to elicit an immune response. But -- assuming you are not immune compromised then there is absolutely no reason on God's Green Earth for you to fear the virus if you have taken the jabs and the appropriate 2 weeks has passed since the second one.

If you do not believe this to be true then you wasted your time and worse, took the risk of severe adverse effects from the jab for no purpose. You gained nothing either physically or mentally from said jabs. You have no faith in your course of action.
    Every one of his columns is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Every one of his columns is good.
    And yet several DOCTORS have harassed my mother-in-law, who recovered from COVID-19 naturally and has over a dozen reasons not to (including a history of Bell's palsy), to get the mRNA shot.

I mean no offense to the likes of Sully and the hundreds of thousands of medical professionals and doctors around the world doing good things, but the whole damn thing is fucking embarrassing.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but Barry continuing to harp on the "political correctness" angle makes me think he's trying to deflect attention away from the actual causes of the covid situation.