starting strength gym
Page 1615 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 61511151515156516051613161416151616161716251665171521152615 ... LastLast
Results 16,141 to 16,150 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Interesting that the source pdf has been taken down.
    Pretty easy to find still: https://gateway.pinata.cloud/ipfs/Qm...CP8ULnTV3E48V1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    You think you’re one and I’m the other but I see myself in a little of both. But I get the allegory of the cave or flatland of it all.
    Yes, I see you are in both. Actually, I view you as Cypher because if I were in your position, I would "like my steak". I'll be Tank.

In any case my only dogma is science. (I’m still butt hurt being labeled a denier ).
    Does Abductive Reasoning exist in science? It's a rhetorical question. Just something to consider. I'm afraid that's all we're left with when on the outside looking in.

That aside, my only contention, and perhaps contribution, is that these are not the worst of times.
    Agreed. If your world (status quo) survives whatever this is, we will slowly and comfortably slide into Venezuela. If it collapses, Clif High's suggestiong is we will first have those "worst of times" and then get back under the bar...something this country hasn't done in a long time.

I’ll argue this with anyone and I easily accept being proven wrong. I am not helplessly institutionalized, although that is a reasonable assumption.
    I didn't say you are institutionalized. I'm just suggesting that perhaps you like steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post

Agreed. If your world (status quo) survives whatever this is, we will slowly and comfortably slide into Venezuela. If it collapses, Clif High's suggestiong is we will first have those "worst of times" and then get back under the bar...something this country hasn't done in a long time.
    This is interesting. Yes we seem heading towards Venezuela. Is it inevitable? No one knows. Those that say they know are fools like those that say it’s impossible.

This isn’t a flaky position of middle of the road, hedge your bet, talk out of both sides of your ass. Either you know (pretty sure is good enough for a discussion) or you don’t know. However, if you know, prepare to defend it. Otherwise you don’t know. Say so with conviction. It takes a lot more balls.

Knowing and not knowing are not symmetrical.

Australia seems to be lost. I just happened on the CFMEU union protest in Melbourne last week where the rank and file expressed their discontent with leadership. it looked like the protest caught leadership and gov't off guard for a couple of days but the gov't came back with a vengeance. I've been watching feeds on the tweeter for the last week and can't believe what is happening there. It looks like utter tyranny, literally Brown Shirt style mobs roving the streets. They are very good at what they do - swarm, divide then take individual victims to the ground (that's when they are not firing rubber bullets at close range, one reported death so far).

If you allow YT links there are a couple of good channels on YT - Avi Yemeini of Rebel News Avi Yemini - YouTube and a guy going by the name of Real Rukshan - https://www.youtube.com/c/RealRukshan.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    If you allow YT links there are a couple of good channels on YT - Avi Yemeini of Rebel News Avi Yemini - YouTube and a guy going by the name of Real Rukshan - Real Rukshan - YouTube.
    The links above and for several previous links are to Avi Yemini.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    1. Who is right and who is wrong?

2. What is your course of action/point of view?
    Of course I believe that I am right, but that is only true for what I believe right now. I was both right and not right in the past. I was a vaccine skeptic once, and now no longer. I originally and still believe this thing came from a lab. Nothing else makes sense. In terms of who is wrong, I think anyone who says that covid is not dangerous and those who say the vaccine is unsafe and doesn't work.

My point of view is:

1. Almost everyone in their lifetime will be exposed to covid

Virus's never go away. Like the spanish flu, we will live with variants of covid forever.

2. Getting covid is dangerous enough to be concerned

I have known only a few people to get covid. About a dozen people I knew directly, and two once removed from me (friend of a friend or family member). Of the dozen I knew directly, one has long covid symptoms after 9+ months. He happens to be close to my age. Of the two once removed, one died and one went into ICU. The data says that somewhere between 1.5-2% of people who pass a covid test die. I don't know if it is covid directly killing them, or whether it is covid in combination with pre-existing comorbidities, or covid is triggering other downstream acute effects in the body that cascade into death. But I think the roll of the dice is not in my favor at least, and I think many people have more bad things going on with their health under the hood than they even know about. Even if all that weren't true, the standard of care is still really shitty pretty much everywhere. Clearly the doctors haven't figured out how to treat this thing effectively or no one would die. If you end up in the hospital, you are 100% in the hands of the people taking care of you and if you end up in ICU you are probably 1 mistake away from being dead. And those people have been burning for almost 2 years straight. To protect myself on all of these potentialities, prophylaxis is really the only way to go. You should actively look for ways to increase your odds against direct effects and secondary effects from covid.

3. The vaccines are safer in the short term than getting covid unprotected

Almost everyone I know has had a vaccine. Between work, family and friends we are talking about maybe 200-300 people. They are not ending up in hospitals or dying. It's been 3 months since most of us had the shot. But, we'll see. One thing I like about the vaccine is that it is a total of 10 ml for the two shots. The mRNA vaccines are fat with the vaccine embedded in it. We know that these vaccines are fragile at high temperatures. I believe my body will be able to deal with 10 ml of fat along with mRNA pretty easily. In general, this may be why all the vaccine data makes vaccines look pretty safe. You take 1 or 2 shots and you are done. Except for the flu shot, which I have never taken as an adult.

On the data side the openvaers database is pretty clear. The covid vaccines are safer by a couple orders of magnitude than the virus. Looking at the US data, if we take only deaths, the vaccine comes in at 0.0017%. If you add in life threatening (which may be double counting events) and permanently disabled then you get a whopping 0.006%. At 10x they still don't touch covid deaths alone and we don't have good numbers on long covid yet to do a full apples to apples.

However, these are still new vaccines and I would rather not take repeated doses over time (aka boosters). This is why Remdesivir is more scary than the vaccine, it's part of a 9 day treatment plan where they give you 100 mg per day. No thanks.

4. The vaccines are effective for the risk

The vaccines are very effective at preventing death and hospitalization, and somewhat effective at preventing spread. I don't have personal experience here, so I have rely on public data. The best version is the Ontario science advisory table (Ontario Dashboard - Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table). Ontario is roughly as open as they were at the beginning of the 3rd wave. The 3rd wave resulted in the last stay-at-home order. The 3rd wave happened so close to the second wave that there wasn't enough time for standard of care to change dramatically. But what did change was at the tail end of the 2nd wave, people started getting vaccinated. Ontario vaccinated the most risky populations first and then there was a big shortage before they got to the middle aged people. When the vaccine supply was filled there was a monster jump in vaccinations. Just as the death counts start to rise in the fourth wave, they immediately flatten and start turning down sooner than they should for the case load. When I saw this 2 months ago I predicted that because of vaccines the death counts and ICU counts would be so low that there wouldn't be another stay at home order. So far this is proving true. Not only that, but the case growth rate has sputtered without any further interventions. This is my best evidence that the vaccine works at limiting hospitalization and death. It takes a really high rate of vaccination to slow spread. I don't think it is possible to get rid of it entirely (see point #1).

Really quick aside on the stay-at-home order. Ontario was not like Australia. If you wanted to go out, you did. Ontario is very spread out and unless you are in the actual city of Toronto or Ottawa, then there aren't enough cops to stop you from doing anything. And there were a lot of gaps in the rules if those mattered to people. But I am still not sure if I am for or against it. When ICUs are becoming overrun it is unclear what the right mitigation is. Queue theory will screw you hard if you run out capacity.

5. Nothing good comes from vaccine mandates

Should most adults get vaccinated? Yes. Should we force people? NO! I hear my friends who are anti-vax. Friends I have known since elementary school. They fear the government and what they can do. They fear the "sheep" neighbour that just does what the government tells them to do. Forcing them to do anything just hardens them and, it is just wrong on the face of it. I've had people say to me that the unvaccinated shouldn't get public health care if they get covid. That's just gross. To believe you are so right you are willing to kill a person who believes differently. Vaccine mandates should never ever happen. The unvaccinated pose no danger to anyone because of covid, but their protests can stir physical unrest that would likely be more dangerous. There has already been some mild violence between protestors and cops. Nothing serious, but enforcing these rules just makes people hate each other. Canadians can be bad at this kind of thing, we are at 86% with at least a single shot. That makes the unvaccinated a super minority and there is a mob at their door. I am fearful for the next few weeks.

If you are wondering:

- I believe natural immunity is as good or better than immunity from a vaccine
    - I am undecided but optimistic on Ivermectin, but I don't think it is as effective or convenient as the vaccine. It also has to be taken in regular doses, which is a pain in the butt if you have to measure the doses because your doctor won't prescribe it
    - I have a bottle of NAC in my cupboard after the FDA pulled it from the shelves following that study that showed effectiveness against covid

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    This is not a brag of course, I'm just saying whoever is pulling Italy's string is someone important I think.
    I think it's more certain countries' governments vary in susceptibility to the same people trying to pull all their strings. "Build Back Better" is everywhere, but some governments are pushing it a lot more brazenly than others.

Way too many it would appear. It seems the Andrews Government has enough money to make record investment in the police force, yet the healthcare system can't cope with 300 odd people being in hospital 'with' COVID - Record Recruitment Drive Boosts Police Numbers | Premier of Victoria

For the record I just got asked for my papers on my lunch break! I must look like a protester.

Quote Originally Posted by Eanderson View Post
    Thank you for that. I’m in the habit of saving or screen-recording most things but had forgotten for that one.

starting strength coach development program
    This is interesting. Yes we seem heading towards Venezuela. Is it inevitable? No one knows. Those that say they know are fools like those that say it’s impossible.

This isn’t a flaky position of middle of the road, hedge your bet, talk out of both sides of your ass. Either you know (pretty sure is good enough for a discussion) or you don’t know. However, if you know, prepare to defend it. Otherwise you don’t know. Say so with conviction. It takes a lot more balls.

Knowing and not knowing are not symmetrical.
    Ok, I'll go way out on a limb just for you, Barry. As crazy as it sounds, I'm "pretty sure" there is a global war underway right now and it's damned scary. But, the scariest part is there still exist brilliant, accomplished people who are in denial regarding this war...and instead point to things like political correctness to dismiss intention.

I reach my conclusion regarding Intention / War using Abductive Reasoning. It is the simplest explanation given all the events tracked/discussed in this thread. Any alternative explanation I have heard thus far violates my personal Occam's Razor. We are under attack. It is intentional. That's my position.

What I don't know is who will win this war...just like I don't know who will win the next superbowl.

To your point...if there is intention, then prove to me who the engineers are? Otherwise, there is no intention. Pretty odd logic, to me. But, If a person did know the engineers' names, you wouldn't advise them to type that here, would you? It's a crime scene, Barry. I don't have "Intelligence" in my title, but you do. It'd be great if you and your non-nuclear Intelligence cronies figured out who the engineers are rather than be in denial while our parents/grandparents are murdered in nursing homes and our sick friends/family are convinced to go home without therapies until the virus has completed its replication phase. And when they are sick enough to be hospitalized, they get the treatment detailed by that nurse whistleblower I posted earlier.

And Barry, it's standardized across the country...and much of the globe. But this isn't war?

I read this anonymous quote recently:
    You're not going to wake anybody up anymore.
    We're basically at 'end game'.
    There are things that are about to start happening everywhere that's gonna freak the shit out of people.
    Back away from trying to wake them up.
    They're comfortably asleep.
    They're where they want to be.
    I don't know about the 'end game' part, but I'm "pretty sure" anyone who is still in denial will stay that way.

Another Veritas post: Johnson & Johnson: 'Kids Shouldn’t Get A F*cking [COVID] Vaccine;' There are "Unknown Repercussions"