starting strength gym
Page 1622 of 3018 FirstFirst ... 62211221522157216121620162116221623162416321672172221222622 ... LastLast
Results 16,211 to 16,220 of 30180

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'm not making a commentary on how churches are doing. Religion is definitely NOT the force it once was in American life. In the process of letting go of Jesus, people have replaced him with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye the Science Guy. Even assuming Jesus is entirely a fictional character, he still is better deserving of that place of reverence than guys like that (or anyone else, come to think of it).
    At least Jesus didn’t wear shitty suits and bow ties, you gotta give it to the dude.

Update on my mandatory vax or get fired situation as a fully remote healthcare IT worker. I turned in my resignation this week after 15 years. They were completely shocked and had no back up plan for my departure. Apparently I'm the only one in a department of almost 100 who didn't comply.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Can only speak for the Eastern (Greek) Orthodox part, and in the Tampa Bay area...most of our congregations are NOT growing. Lots of reasons for this, and COVID has exacerbated it. I actually think covid will destroy many individual churches that aren't financially stable. That is not a good thing, IMO.
    That is interesting. The word on the street is that there are a lot of young people either outright converting to Orthodoxy or at least giving it serious study. I think "growing" might be the wrong word; any new influx is in these denominations, but it's nothing like the early 20th century in the United States, you're right.

As for the bit about smaller churches closing, I agree. The pastor of the Byzantine Catholic parish I'm attending told me as much. He said he saw a distinct drop-off recently and he chalked it up to the casual congregants just deciding not to do it anymore, that it was too much of a hassle. That being said, the rector of the Roman Catholic order who offers the Latin Mass I also attend told me that he's seen a distinct influx of young people and families at that particular liturgy.

Then there are the loony Protestants, some of which who have not had a live service at all since last year. Think about that. Those are the ones that should close, but for some reason don't.

I'm not making a commentary on how churches are doing. Religion is definitely NOT the force it once was in American life. In the process of letting go of Jesus, people have replaced him with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye the Science Guy. Even assuming Jesus is entirely a fictional character, he still is better deserving of that place of reverence than guys like that (or anyone else, come to think of it).
    Not to turn this away from the secular, per Rip's request, but I'll say this. If you needed a reason to believe that the devil was real and was working and scoring victories, you don't need to read the testimony of exorcists. What you need to see is that everything that he would want and works for has happened over the past, say 100 years, particularly with regard to the influence of the Church. It's all becoming more diffuse and of the world in exactly the way all the seers and visionaries have warned.

That also being said, religious politics, if you want to chalk it up to just people being stupid and power hungry and weak of character, is extremely fascinating. I've been reading quite a bit about Vatican II, it's roots, and what it meant for not just the faithful of the Roman Church, but for how it interacts with the entire world. Like if you thought Republicans versus Democrats was intense, you haven't seen anything.

For those who ARE religious though, please pray for the people of New York. Cuomo may have been among the worst COVID governors for a while (before sex scandals scared him into hiding), but we now have the absolute worst COVID governor replacing him. This bitch is insane. Our hospitals are already in TERRIBLE shape. My mother just had to go in there the other week, and she came back reporting the place was so damn understaffed they had doctors mopping the floors. Now this lunatic who claims she's on a mission from God is going to axe hundreds of thousands more health care employees, and replace them with...the national fucking guard? We are so fucked.
    She is out of her damned mind. A delusional fool. Maybe the old adage of you have to hit bottom before you can pick yourself up is really true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Some powerful statements here. I'll have to read it tomorrow.
    Under preliminary conclusions:

"In other words, our government is killing more people than COVID is, and they have absolutely no clue that they are doing that."

I'm not that generous. They know, and they don't care!

starting strength coach development program
    Friend sent me this. https://dcricollab.dcri.duke.edu/sit...s-08-06-21.pdf Cant seem to find many places talking about this, and/or more than the slides at this time.

Some quick research shows that Ivermectin can be acquired in Brazil easily. And there is no exclusion criteria for ivermectin. Also, why is being vaccinated exclusion criteria? If you're in the hospital with covid, and are vaccinated, i don't understand why that would be exclusionary from their study.