starting strength gym
Page 1707 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 70712071607165716971705170617071708170917171757180722072707 ... LastLast
Results 17,061 to 17,070 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Wait, so you'd take a drug that just came out that we know so very little about but you wouldn't take a drug that's been used all over the world since the 70's? I mean, ok. But damn.
    I guess I look at things a bit differently. I was a CPA for about 10 years, made good money, until I discerned the calling to become a Catholic priest. If my discernment is correct, then the Holy Spirit will guide my decisions to fulfill that calling. Allowing me to die would kind of prevent that.

In case you're wondering why I am on a strength training forum and interest in Starting Strength, contrary to what some may think, being strong and fit is not contrary to Church teachings. I know many priests who exercise a lot as it helps them get through some long days. There is always the elderly parishioner who needs help moving furniture. Strength makes priests more useful.

Anyway, I know that Rip is not big on religion so this is my first and last post on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why have pharmacists as gatekeepers if they cannot be responsible for the actual facts about ivermectin? Why should "publicity" influence a professional's decision in a grave matter such as this?
    Publicity is the wrong word, but what should I call FDA/CDC guidelines and the various academic papers for and against? Calling it literature seemed inadequate and there are also verbal statements by authority figures.

I wont go back over previous ground already posted. Only answered this as a specific question (albeit possibly rhetorical).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I’m glad Curtis assures us we are not as far gone as 1960 Hungary. I tend to believe we are not as far gone as other events in history too. I suppose it’s possible that we are experiencing the second worse period in all history but it’s just not likely.

In any case he is interesting and has some provocative ideas worth discussing.
    Thanks for checking him out. Tucker almost seemed starstruck during that interview. Rumor is that Peter Thiel encouraged Tucker to interview Curtis...just an Internet rumor.

To me, Curtis was put out there with an important message: We need to stay calm as many truths regarding the nature of power/control are revealed to We the People. We're about to go through a major transition. I think of it as Perestroika, American style. Demanding justice will not contribute to a peaceful transition of power. That's what I heard in that interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And here is the difference between the US in 2021 and East Germany prior to 1989: 400 million guns in the hands of private citizens. If these fucking idiots want a hot civil war, they can have one, and this is a great way to get it started. All over a disease that doesn't kill anybody.
    I think what we have here in the US is a new phenomenon, a "soft tyranny". They are trying to corner and control us using non-violent methods, at worst the implication of their power is invoked. Mostly though, they are relying on that "public-private cooperation" the World Economic Forum likes to tout. If we don't obey, they go after us through our jobs, our bank holdings, and our businesses. Biden's mandate, despite being on hold legally due to an injunction, is still being implemented by businesses completely ignoring the fact that it isn't the least bit legally binding.

If anyone so backed into a corner like this lashes out violently, they will be painted as a violent extremist in the public eye, since the media is on board too. The public perception remains that violence is the worst thing ever, and whoever goes to violence first is the bad guy. We as a people need to get smarter than this. The gun ownership keeps us from getting the Aussie treatment, but they are creeping it in slowly and the result will be the same in the end if we don't view the government the same regardless of whether it comes at literal gunpoint or only figurative gunpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Listen to Curtis Yarvin on Tucker starting at 19:30. Pay close attention at 21:45 and listen as far as he keeps your interest:
    Curtis Yarvin on Tucker Carlson - 9/9/2021

I think his Tiger - Buffalo analogy addresses your point. I also like his take on the Leftist binary brain having two neurons to judge us: we're either funny or dangerous.

Being Buffaloes isn't getting us anywhere. Perhaps we need to be more like Tigers...cancel them, SHUN THEM locally, for example? They hunt us. Although we are big, numerous and strong and difficult to delete, they fucking HUNT us any time we fight back. They are bullies.

So, your bigger point rings true to me. Do we give them a big taste of their own medicine? It goes against our principles, but we will go the way of the Buffaloes if we don't change our tactic.
    I don't even see it as "a taste of their own medicine". It's not about any kind of payback. When people deny you the ability to live, they have become the worst kind of enemy you could have. If they'd like to relent at any point, I'm fine burying the hatchet. I personally hate having to start evaluating my personal relationships based on politics. I'm basically left with the inevitably of even disowning my own brother over this shit, because he is bought in entirely on the opposite side. He even lamented that police on January 6th weren't attacking protesters with tear gas and pepper spray. Never mind that they actually WERE, but our fucking uncle was there protesting that day. Based on diagrams released by the FBI, he might not even be off the hook for getting thrown into the DC Dungeon. When faced with a family member who is that happy to turn against family for the sake of some twisted ideology, what else can I do but stop classifying that person as a family member?

Curtis believes it would be a mistake to punish the ruling class. Instead, he's here to convince us to be nice about it. Pay them to relinquish power...give them "retirement"....so to speak. He's referring to of all the "deep state" employees of our governments; the people who used the full power of our government to "stop Trump"...to impeach him 4 times...to frame him, for example. He argues that history shows any other approach will not end well.
    I'd be happy to pay them to step down with sparing their lives. That's my final offer. They've made more than enough money with their horseshit already. If they lose their cushy jobs without any prospects to get by without them, they can be told the same thing any of the rest of us would be in that same situation. Tough shit.

A young Fauci spreading AIDs fear: ABC News - Fauci - 35 seconds

Fool me once...

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I personally hate having to start evaluating my personal relationships based on politics. I'm basically left with the inevitably of even disowning my own brother over this shit, because he is bought in entirely on the opposite side. He even lamented that police on January 6th weren't attacking protesters with tear gas and pepper spray. Never mind that they actually WERE, but our fucking uncle was there protesting that day. Based on diagrams released by the FBI, he might not even be off the hook for getting thrown into the DC Dungeon. When faced with a family member who is that happy to turn against family for the sake of some twisted ideology, what else can I do but stop classifying that person as a family member?
    I don't disown family. I just don't have much to do with the stupid ones right now. They know why. My conversations are uncharacteristically detached, short and bland. By not engaging, I preserve the relationship for another day.

I call this the Fuckoff Bucket. They will stay there until this is over and they can come to their senses. They are temporarily brainwashed.

Don't disown. Preserve.

So, just a little something shitty that happened in my town last night. Keep in mind it’s rememberance day today . Some twisted asshole went and spray painted on the cenotaph “ the vaccinated are the true heroes”.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Biden's mandate, despite being on hold legally due to an injunction, is still being implemented by businesses completely ignoring the fact that it isn't the least bit legally binding.
    This is an interesting question for me. Biden's mandate being enjoined means that businesses are no longer required to mandate the vaccine. However, businesses can still choose to mandate the vaccine. So the question is whether a private business has the right to impose such a requirement on its employees. Having dealt with businesses in the past, I think they have the right to set standards for their employees. That's how the employment relationship works.

Quote Originally Posted by JP_Kowalski View Post
    I guess I look at things a bit differently. I was a CPA for about 10 years, made good money, until I discerned the calling to become a Catholic priest. If my discernment is correct, then the Holy Spirit will guide my decisions to fulfill that calling. Allowing me to die would kind of prevent that.

In case you're wondering why I am on a strength training forum and interest in Starting Strength, contrary to what some may think, being strong and fit is not contrary to Church teachings. I know many priests who exercise a lot as it helps them get through some long days. There is always the elderly parishioner who needs help moving furniture. Strength makes priests more useful.

Anyway, I know that Rip is not big on religion so this is my first and last post on the subject.
    I would suggest you spend log hours availing yourself of all of the posts and links this thread has to offer. You may find why certain long-participating posters have lost most or all of their patience. Be mindful of the time of the post to keep hindsight bias out of it. Some things are right. Some aren't. You'll find a full range of opinions and ideas from wrong to nearly right, and I would think your life's calling would have you appreciate that it has been, for the largest part, honest discussion. Our broken nature makes such truthfulness and humility a necessity, does it not? As necessary as suffering.

Understand that ultimately, the largely shared position of this board has grown out of the efforts made here to collect and discuss what was available. It's incomplete, and there may yet be a world of information we have yet to cover that could change our understanding completely. It benefits everyone for you to participate, but not if you don't understand who you're talking to and what came before you.

-------------

It would appear the large inflation jump is here. Restaurant to-go containers have jumped in cost 120% (and are out-of-stock with no timeframe of when they will be available), cooking oils are up to $60-65 from $25-30 dollars just a few months ago, and most meats are rising daily. A full pan of Thanksgiving stuffing with duck cost $30 last year, and is now over $60 dollars to make some small profit after labor and materials.

My wife was on the verge of completing a purchase and opening a food truck this week, but we were just priced out of the market. That was with a 110% estimation above market value on operating expenses and a $500 buffer per month specifically for rising food costs. What we initially projected on her business plan for 3 months (through the end of the calendar year when she did costing back mid September) has now been exceeded in half the time planned for -- most of it in the last two weeks.

If you have savings, now would be the time to invest in long-term food options like rice and canned goods. Probably some cooking fuel (or multiple fuel types) to see you through the winter. Vitamins for supplementation, lard, and protein will also be good options. If you're as caffeine addicted as I am, you might want to look into creature comforts like coffee and tea with a Chemex or French press with a grinder. Beans keep better unground, and tea can stay good for a while in tins or other air-tight, small containers. Frankly, besides long-term investments, material goods that are useful are probably your best use for your money. Every day inflation grows your savings are losing value, regardless.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_Kowalski View Post
    This is an interesting question for me. Biden's mandate being enjoined means that businesses are no longer required to mandate the vaccine. However, businesses can still choose to mandate the vaccine. So the question is whether a private business has the right to impose such a requirement on its employees. Having dealt with businesses in the past, I think they have the right to set standards for their employees. That's how the employment relationship works.
    They certainly have that right. And their employees have the right to not show up for work. And the business has the right to fire them. Then the calculators come out.