starting strength gym
Page 1740 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 74012401640169017301738173917401741174217501790184022402740 ... LastLast
Results 17,391 to 17,400 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Well that was not really how Fascism started in Germany. After the first world war Germany did not fare well under the Versailles Treaty to end WW1. Germans became discontent at what was happening in their country, disarmament, reparations, job loses, manufacturing shut downs and the war guilt. So it became ripe for an opportunist such as Adolf Hitler to rise up and take control. The conservatives joined with the fascists and control was finally taken. Good people gave their support to Hitler as he promised them an end to the indignity that Germany suffered, removal of the Communists, jobs and prosperity. I know an old guy who lived in Germany at that time, he said it was great, law and order, jobs for every one, a sense of purpose, national pride was restored.

Right wing nationalism joined with the conservatives and it ended in the destruction of Germany. It is going to happen again. Look at the discontent in western countries today, who will rise up and take over, who? In Australia there are many of these "nationalists" rising up and promising the same stuff. They fly the flag, they dress in military uniforms, they use "Christian" terminology, they promise heaven on earth. It feels like we are back in the days before Hitler rose to power, except this time it will be global.
    Sadly, you might be right, and the fault can be payed squarely at the feet of the globalists, and the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Of course I agree with this principle. I'm just realistic about the outcome and was probably being overly dramatic. Science informs the decisions that are being made, but then the actions taken (or not taken) are shaped by other ideologies. That's the part that I have limited influence on, not just because of where I work, but also because that part of the decision is not based on science. There is lesser value placed on advice that differs from whatever ideology the people making that decision has. The fact that I'm a nobody simply compounds the issue. Even top-tier folks struggle to get policy makers to rethink these type of decisions.

For an oversimplified example, if the science indicates that limiting the amount of replication for some virus in a population is a good thing, a whole spectrum of policies can stem from that idea, from doing nothing to full lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations for everyone, and a whole host in between. I may agree that limiting virus replication is a good thing, but no one at CDC or FDA or OSHA is going to care one bit if I take issue with the methods they decided to use to limit virus replication in the population.
    It's not the scientist's responsibility to change policy - just to describe whether their field favors some policies over others. The policymaker is then responsible for (not) following your advice. It's important for "nobodies" to chime in, for the same reason that peer review isn't conducted by just a few editors. As a professor at a small undergrad institution in MO, your opinion may not have as much weight as, say, an associate professor with a large research group at JHU. But you don't need to toe the line of your NIH grantmaster, and you are less likely to face censure from your institution.

Accountability goes both ways. Cuomo shoved elderly COVID patients into nursing homes at the behest of NYC ER doctors. When this proved to be a disastrous mistake, those ER doctors deleted their Twitter accounts. Not good.

I appreciate the prodding to think harder about these things, Shiva...even if you did call me pathetic.
    I didn't say you were pathetic - just your learned helplessness. You weren't asked to express someone else's opinion (which is good, since there are raving lunatics on this board) - just to have the balls to express your own.

Well that was not really how Fascism started in Germany. After the first world war Germany did not fare well under the Versailles Treaty to end WW1. Germans became discontent at what was happening in their country, disarmament, reparations, job loses, manufacturing shut downs and the war guilt. So it became ripe for an opportunist such as Adolf Hitler to rise up and take control. The conservatives joined with the fascists and control was finally taken. Good people gave their support to Hitler as he promised them an end to the indignity that Germany suffered, removal of the Communists, jobs and prosperity. I know an old guy who lived in Germany at that time, he said it was great, law and order, jobs for every one, a sense of purpose, national pride was restored.

Right wing nationalism joined with the conservatives and it ended in the destruction of Germany. It is going to happen again. Look at the discontent in western countries today, who will rise up and take over, who? In Australia there are many of these "nationalists" rising up and promising the same stuff. They fly the flag, they dress in military uniforms, they use "Christian" terminology, they promise heaven on earth. It feels like we are back in the days before Hitler rose to power, except this time it will be global.
    Will the third temple be built and will this ruler inhabit is?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Sadly, you might be right, and the fault can be payed squarely at the feet of the globalists, and the left.
    Globalism the last frontier, first the continents, then the moon and finally the whole globe. Finally no more nation states, all the politicians who cannot manage a second hand shop will be gone and will have at last a man who will rule over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Will the third temple be built and will this ruler inhabit is?
    Mark told me to keep it strictly secular, you will have to look that up for yourself. Suffice to say there are some who say the preparations are well under way and all it is needed is for approval to build it, the problem is that the Moslem's control the site of the old temple. If it was built now it would cause a Islamic outrage. Netanyahu was hoping that Trump would be the man to give them back control, they even struck a coin in his honor. It came very close, but I guess the time was not yet, if Trump had won the election we may have seen a different world today.

Sanhedrin Mints Silver Half Shekel With Images of Trump and Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    It's not the scientist's responsibility to change policy - just to describe whether their field favors some policies over others. The policymaker is then responsible for (not) following your advice. It's important for "nobodies" to chime in, for the same reason that peer review isn't conducted by just a few editors. As a professor at a small undergrad institution in MO, your opinion may not have as much weight as, say, an associate professor with a large research group at JHU. But you don't need to toe the line of your NIH grantmaster, and you are less likely to face censure from your institution.

Accountability goes both ways. Cuomo shoved elderly COVID patients into nursing homes at the behest of NYC ER doctors. When this proved to be a disastrous mistake, those ER doctors deleted their Twitter accounts. Not good.
    Fair points. I think we agree on more than we disagree about the role of scientists in policy.

I didn't say you were pathetic - just your learned helplessness. You weren't asked to express someone else's opinion (which is good, since there are raving lunatics on this board) - just to have the balls to express your own.
    I know. It was intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, but text only communication being what it is....

Globalism the last frontier, first the continents, then the moon and finally the whole globe. Finally no more nation states, all the politicians who cannot manage a second hand shop will be gone and will have at last a man who will rule over all.
    Mr. Blue tells a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    What I have noticed about the recent Rotterdam protests/riots is a) how absolutely harshly the authorities came down on these people (compared to BLM, for example) and b) how the vast majority of the rioters this time were Turkish/Morrocan/whatever. It seems likely this level of Covid protest action will only be apparent (to start with, anyway) in these urban centres full of easily-riled immigrants/non-whites. They are reaching a point where a shitty, free apartment in the outskirts of a major European city, and regular dole money, is no longer cutting it.
    The Netherlands is not really famous for large immigrant populations on the dole.

Mark told me to keep it strictly secular, you will have to look that up for yourself. Suffice to say there are some who say the preparations are well under way and all it is needed is for approval to build it, the problem is that the Moslem's control the site of the old temple. If it was built now it would cause a Islamic outrage. Netanyahu was hoping that Trump would be the man to give them back control, they even struck a coin in his honor. It came very close, but I guess the time was not yet, if Trump had won the election we may have seen a different world today.

Sanhedrin Mints Silver Half Shekel With Images of Trump and Cyrus
    No one is preparing to build any temple especially Netanyahu. This group, who call themselves Sanhedrin are nobody's, literally. Even in the rabinic world nobody has heard of any of these guys in this so called Sanhedrin. The creation of such an entity according to Jewish law is almost impossible and would not get the backing of anyone in real religious positions of power. Their understanding of simple Jewish law is questionable and I wouldn't be surprised if they are some type of undercover operation created by an agency to try stirring up fanaticism in fringe elements of religious society.
    They have absolutely no influence on anyone, in fact nobody even knows of these guys except for one faction in our society called the kipot serugot.
    Wal, don't get your hopes up with this group they are nobodies.

STUNNING - No Reinfection in Previously Infected (Harvard Preprint Study) - YouTube

"Between 2 January and 24 September 2021, the age-adjusted risk of deaths involving coronavirus (COVID-19) was 32 times greater in unvaccinated people than in fully vaccinated individuals." This opening claim by the ONS is bullcrap! Fully vaccinated after 14 days of the second dose would not have kicked in until March in the UK.
    Age standardised mortality rate per 100,000 for all cause deaths by vaccination status is 799 for the unvaccinated and 735 for the vaccinated. Obviously age is just one factor as we aren't counting partially vaccinated separately or those with severe disabilities.

Explained here Goodbye ONS integrity - YouTube (19:18 mins) Shorter video here In less than 2 minutes we show how ONS distorts data - YouTube (1:58 mins)

Also worth watching is Professor Norman Fenton's video analysing Covid vaccine efficiency and safety statistics (25:59 mins)

Analysing Covid vaccine efficiency and safety statistics - YouTube