starting strength gym
Page 1855 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 85513551755180518451853185418551856185718651905195523552855 ... LastLast
Results 18,541 to 18,550 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    I believe that the source of this complaint is our reluctance with communicating uncertainty, and it could be just my perception of the situation. Hell it could even just be me, specifically. For example, early on we should have not unequivocally said 'masks prevent transmission'. The data were not strong enough. What we did have was mechanistic laboratory data that suggest that masks may be effective at reducing transmission, and the real world effect on transmission had not been demonstrated. We should have said that instead. What we did was set up a situation for factions to form in an area that was uncertain, and because we did not communicate that uncertainty, we did not leave room for or tolerate discussion. Obviously this is not the only way we screwed up communication.
    I think this is where "science" has failed us and needs to own up to it. For the record, I do believe science is the best way to ultimately find truth, but it is a slow, laborious process that often ignores conventional wisdom and common sense in lieu of data. I also believe that data can be fudged for a variety of reasons, and that can set the process on an incorrect tangent for decades (cholesterol studies, for example). The Eddington Expedition was a great example of the scientific method yielding fruitful results. The Seven Countries Study: Not so much.

Early on, the scientists working with only the data suggested that face masks were not useful. The phrase "like setting up a chain link fence to keep mosquitos out" reverberates in my mind over and over and over again. I watched the episode of 60 Minutes and specifically remember Fauci saying "there is no need to wear a mask." He then went on and on about how this virus was primarily transmitted via surface contact, how we should all be washing our hands, not touching contaminated surfaces, and that bleach was the new hotness. I also remember him clamoring about how he hoped this would once and for all "kill the handshake."

I found this odd because, common sense would dictate that this is an awfully inconvenient way to make a living if you're a virus. Sure, someone could smear their dirty hands on a handrail, pick their nose, and you, the virus, can work your way into the respiratory tract... But goddamn, that's a pretty inefficient and stupid way to go about replicating if you're a respiratory pathogen. A stomach virus? Sure. But a respiratory pathogen? That sounds kind of fucking stupid, and to double down on this claim: even stupider. But, hey, the data are what the data are at the time, and we should act on the data and not common sense, right?

This sort of ignorance of simple, basic common sense concerns me in another light. I've brought it up multiple times on this thread, and I believe the first time was in April or May of 2020. If paper masks are quasi-effective, then the only viruses that get spread are those that are naturally selected for more transmissibility. I constantly hear the media and other scientists say that with COVID-19 running rampant, there are more chances for mutations, but what selective pressure is there for it to be transmissible, hardier, STRONGER, without some sort of stress imposed on it?

This is precisely why we ask people to take the full course of their antibiotics. Taking 80% of the regimen creates bacteria that are extraordinarily difficult to kill: Like XDR Tuberculosis. We seem to know that when we kill off all but a small population of microorganisms, those microorganisms continue to adapt and replicate to overcome their imposed hardships. So, for two years, we've had people wearing masks, social distancing (do people really do that?), and acting like fools. But now, I'm reading articles about Omicron, how infectious it is, and that paper masks are not effective at stopping it!

Now, this little development didn't happen because people weren't wearing masks. Why would it? What selective pressure is there to overcome a mask in a population of maskless? Instead, I contend that it was the masks themselves that brought about a virus that the data (for what it's worth) shows is defeating masks. The virus lingers longer, seems to be hardier, and transmits more rapidly. It is also less deadly. So, why don't we just do the world a favor and have everyone rip the goddamn things off their faces, get in a big circle, and get this over with once and fucking for all?

I hope you're all doing well with your PTSD on this anniversary of the second coming of Pearl Harbor.

January 6th: The Insurrection That Never Happened

Here's Yuri Bezmenov's take on what the hell is going on now, albeit from 40 years ago. He also has an excellent 1 hour discussion on the subject of ideological subversion.

KGB defector Yuri Bezmenov's warning to America (1984) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Did they give a reason for this overreaction? Is the same policy being implemented in classrooms in your district?

Happening everywhere. Happening to my daughter now, again. They’re raw idiots.

I just put in a call into my State Senator Justin Busch to slap the Indiana Dept of Health down.

Extremely shareable interview with Jay Bhattacharya (of the Great Barrington Declaration): Jay Bhattacharya: The Case Against Lockdowns | Lex Fridman Podcast #254 - YouTube

Includes a discussion of this lovely email: FOIA emails: Francis Collins told Anthony Fauci to takedown Great Barrington Declaration. - TheBlaze

It's over. What part was virus and what part bacterial infection... I'll never know for certain. I've never been happier to go back to work after two weeks in the house with toddlers.

--------------

Dr. Grantham, the one thing that strikes me as odd, coming from a military background, is the reluctance of the body politic and the experts on policy to simply say "We don't know." There are two critical errors in military ops planning: assuming you know things you don't, and inaction caused by a lack of intelligence. When you must drive into the unknown, maneuver warfare doctrine states you clearly pass mission objectives down, and then you allow those units at the smallest level possible the freedom to choose in the moment and with the ground truth they develop how to accomplish the mission.

It seems to me that concept belongs to a layer of abstraction that works ubiquitously in life, but I almost never see it. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    Here's Yuri Bezmenov's take on what the hell is going on now, albeit from 40 years ago. He also has an excellent 1 hour discussion on the subject of ideological subversion.

KGB defector Yuri Bezmenov's warning to America (1984) - YouTube
    It's pretty rare to find a single causal explanation of "what's happening in the world" but this is it.

If you haven't already, get a copy of Love Letter to America where he elaborates on what the active measures part of his job actually was. Specifically what the purpose and specifics of Novosti was/did and how it was allowed to operate, as well as contrasting how those tactics wouldn't work in the Soviet Union.

The Cold war was a cultural war as well as a military stand off, the difference is that the Soviets actively pursued the cultural war whilst America did it passively.

The reason people believe nonsense is because the KGB paid them to do so, and made it financially viable to receive monetary awards to perpetuate nonsense. As Yuri points out, this is expensive to maintain, however this system has achieved a level of self replication as now capitalism pays a % of all revenue towards subversion. Despite the KGB no longer existing to control it.

The reason why large parts of society runs on nonsense is that the KGB paid the first people to do so and prevented them from suffering the normal financial consequences of spouting nonsense.

The KGB targeted academia to be taken over, because it was of strategic value. This is detailed at length and in specific detail in "Love Letter to America" If you liked the interview with Yuri, this is the follow up to it.

Are we allowed to post links to pdf books here?

"When the military boot crashes his balls, then he will understand, but not before that."

Spoken with heavy Russian accent, words of wisdom.

starting strength coach development program
    Ted really fucked up. Tucker even let up on him a little at the end of the segment, but not until after he called him a liar.

Briggs had some things to say about this today: Happy Insurrection Day! – William M. Briggs

It will never, and I mean never, stop being funny that our elite rulers soiled their panties when seeing grandma here take a Capitol stroll, and then waved those panties in the air for twelve solid months shouting, “Look how frightened we are!” and “The stains show the love of Our Democracy!”

You’ve also seen the picture (heading today’s post on the main page) of one those rulers running around with a dry cleaning bag on his head. The look of terror in his eyes is real. It’s as if he knows he has a lot to feel guilty about, and at that moment was expecting to answer for it.

Did he really think a coup was in progress and that bio-weapons would be unleashed on Congress?

I think so.

Like this effeminate, so did other rulers, to varying degree, say to themselves They’ve finally come.

Only they didn’t. You remember the only killing on that otherwise calm day was when a regime secret policeman shot an unarmed woman. The regime can’t even give the guy an award for marksmanship for the killing, since it was, as the novels say, point blank.

Now if Trump had wanted to cross the Rubicon, he could have. He didn’t, and never wanted to.

It is clear, though, that if he had wanted to, he could have. The small mob that sauntered into the Capitol, possibly outnumbered by the media and government agents, instead of taking goofy selfies, could have been goaded to real violence (and not the pretend kind). Given what we know about the day’s events, a motivated mob might have succeeded.

They had surprise, which carries good odds. And, what they didn’t know, they would have confronted an enemy ready to surrender.