starting strength gym
Page 1857 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 85713571757180718471855185618571858185918671907195723572857 ... LastLast
Results 18,561 to 18,570 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Don’t know if this has been posted already, but Pfizer is going to be forced to produce the safety data of the vaccine over the next 8 months. Get ready to be proven correct again.

‘Paramount importance’: Judge orders FDA to hasten release of Pfizer vaccine docs | Reuters

Rip,

What would u do in this situation...

My 2 housemates are returning from vacation this sunday afternoon. They both have covid...one started getting sick 5 days ago, the other 3 days ago. Theyve both had 3 injections, and both are sick, but not badly sick.

I havnt taken any coronavirus injections, and am not interested in taking them. But id still rather try to avoid getting coronavirus if possible than just letting it happen. Im 34, 191cm, 102kg (but flabby, not lean), no underlying conditions (but very unfit) and have novice level strength (sets are 65kg press, 130kg squats, 105kg bench, and 178kg dl). I really dont want my training to get effected by covid...im not doing so well with it as it is (my lifts have plateaud, and im picking up niggling injuries from poor technique etc).

Do you think its worth staying somewhere else for a few nights until the housemates are better?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Why did you say what you said, instead of what you should have said? Explain the underlying reason for this “reluctance with communicating uncertainty”. What were the negative consequences of communicating uncertainty?
    I think that for me, it was a combination of the following things. 1) I had a poor understanding of the willingness of people to accept uncertainty. I thought that people would discard what I had to say if I was uncertain. As you pointed out, this is incorrect. This is still a work in progress for me. 2) I was overconfident that the conclusions that I drew from the data were correct. In the mask example, I was overconfident that the laboratory data would translate into obvious real-world effects. (Currently, I'm not convinced that they have no effect in real-world settings, but that many other factors play into it and even in high-use settings, the effect is not as drastic as I was sure it would be.)

In some circumstances, there is probably a pressure (either real or perceived) from administrators/government officials to state things with certainty to shore up the reasoning behind various changes in policy. I've not personally experienced that, but I'm guessing that others have.

Many of us also reached farther afield than we should have. I've done that in this thread. For example, my grasp of the statistics of large data sets is not good enough to serve as an expert on the subject. I don't feel so bad about voicing my opinion on those topics here, because I am clearly not serving as an expert on this forum. However, it's quite another thing to serve as an expert to set policy when you're out of your depth. I've not done that, but I'm sure there are some that have.

There weren't negative consequences of communicating uncertainty, because many of us (me included) didn't do it or did it poorly. We thought there might be negative consequences, so we didn't try it. That was a mistake.

I've painted with some very broad brushes. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    It's over. What part was virus and what part bacterial infection... I'll never know for certain. I've never been happier to go back to work after two weeks in the house with toddlers.

--------------

Dr. Grantham, the one thing that strikes me as odd, coming from a military background, is the reluctance of the body politic and the experts on policy to simply say "We don't know." There are two critical errors in military ops planning: assuming you know things you don't, and inaction caused by a lack of intelligence. When you must drive into the unknown, maneuver warfare doctrine states you clearly pass mission objectives down, and then you allow those units at the smallest level possible the freedom to choose in the moment and with the ground truth they develop how to accomplish the mission.

It seems to me that concept belongs to a layer of abstraction that works ubiquitously in life, but I almost never see it. What are your thoughts?
    Given your history, I would guess that you know a lot more than I do about why we don't do see this more often. If I were to speculate, that's all it would be...wild speculation. (iow...I don't know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In other words, is Ted more than just a politician?
    When was the last time a US Senator was more than just a politician? I suppose Rand Paul comes closest, but even he is a lot squishier than his father.

Quote Originally Posted by giampierod View Post
    Don’t know if this has been posted already, but Pfizer is going to be forced to produce the safety data of the vaccine over the next 8 months. Get ready to be proven correct again.

‘Paramount importance’: Judge orders FDA to hasten release of Pfizer vaccine docs | Reuters
    Pfizer and the FDA will ignore the court's order, and nobody will do a goddamn thing to them. Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In other words, is Ted more than just a politician?
    My assessment watching the guy over the years is no. He's shown himself to be very much just a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmll View Post
    Rip,

What would u do in this situation...

My 2 housemates are returning from vacation this sunday afternoon. They both have covid...one started getting sick 5 days ago, the other 3 days ago. Theyve both had 3 injections, and both are sick, but not badly sick.

I havnt taken any coronavirus injections, and am not interested in taking them. But id still rather try to avoid getting coronavirus if possible than just letting it happen. Im 34, 191cm, 102kg (but flabby, not lean), no underlying conditions (but very unfit) and have novice level strength (sets are 65kg press, 130kg squats, 105kg bench, and 178kg dl). I really dont want my training to get effected by covid...im not doing so well with it as it is (my lifts have plateaud, and im picking up niggling injuries from poor technique etc).

Do you think its worth staying somewhere else for a few nights until the housemates are better?
    Ivermectin. An excellent prophylactic. Or you could just go ahead and get sick and get it over with, like humans have done since 4 Million BC.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    My assessment watching the guy over the years is no. He's shown himself to be very much just a politician.
    That error just cost him a lot of money. And here's a piece from Glenn Greenwald about the enormity of the lie: The Histrionics and Melodrama Around 1/6 Are Laughable, but They Serve Several Key Purposes

The number of people killed by pro-Trump supporters at the January 6 Capitol riot is equal to the number of pro-Trump supporters who brandished guns or knives inside the Capitol. That is the same number as the total of Americans who — after a full year of a Democrat-led DOJ conducting what is heralded as “the most expansive federal law enforcement investigation in US history” — have been charged with inciting insurrection, sedition, treason or conspiracy to overthrow the government as a result of that riot one year ago. Coincidentally, it is the same number as Americans who ended up being criminally charged by the Mueller probe of conspiring with Russia over the 2016 election, and the number of wounds — grave or light — which AOC, who finally emerged at night to assure an on-edge nation that she was “okay" while waiting in an office building away from the riot at the rotunda, sustained on that solemn day.

That number is zero. But just as these rather crucial facts do not prevent the dominant wing of the U.S. corporate media and Democratic Party leaders from continuing to insist that Donald Trump's 2016 election victory was illegitimate due to his collusion with the Kremlin, it also does not prevent January 6 from being widely described in those same circles as an Insurrection, an attempted coup, an event as traumatizing as Pearl Harbor (2,403 dead) or the 9/11 attack (2,977 dead), and as the gravest attack on American democracy since the mid-19th Century Civil War (750,000 dead). The Huffington Post's White House reporter S.V. Date said that it was wrong to compare 1/6 to 9/11, because the former — the three-hour riot at the Capitol — was “1,000 percent worse.”

Indeed, when it comes to melodrama, histrionics, and exploitation of fear levels from the 1/6 riot, there has never been any apparent limit. And today — the one-year anniversary of that three-hour riot — there is no apparent end in sight. Too many political and media elites are far too vested in this maximalist narrative for them to relinquish it voluntarily.
    So the question is, who paid Ted?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Yes it is. And it started right at the beginning of this farse, on March 2020.

Anyway, I wanna let you guys know, I am planning on moving out of Italy as soon as possible. I have very little money, can't pursue what my prepandemic goals were, don't even have a girlfriend anymore, family is far away anyway, and I'm just tired of being surrounded by retards every single day or waiting for the next punishment or threat by the italian government.
    My destination will be Vlore, Albania.
    As far as I know there is no "green pass", and there are very few restrictions which are not respected anyway. Cost of living is very low, but this goes along with very low salaries, in case I need to find a job. But for now, it seems like one of the few places where I can breathe some fresh air and live kinda normally.
    Anyone of you has any advice or has lived there?
    Have you considered Czechia, home of Lubos Motl?

The Histrionics and Melodrama Around 1/6 Are Laughable, but They Serve Several Key Purposes

That the January 6 riot was some sort of serious attempted insurrection or "coup” was laughable from the start, and has become even more preposterous with the passage of time and the emergence of more facts. The United States is the most armed, militarized and powerful regime in the history of humanity. The idea that a thousand or so Trump supporters, largely composed of Gen X and Boomers, who had been locked in their homes during a pandemic — three of whom were so physically infirm that they dropped dead from the stress — posed anything approaching a serious threat to “overthrow” the federal government of the United States of America is such a self-evidently ludicrous assertion that any healthy political culture would instantly expel someone suggesting it with a straight face.
    Let's not lose sight of the facts here: 8 Times Left-Wing Protesters Assaulted Government Buildings

And remember what happens to Leftists when they disrupt: NOTHING Repeat Antifa Rioter Has Charges Dismissed After Claiming Community Service - The Police Tribune

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Yes it is. And it started right at the beginning of this farse, on March 2020.

Anyway, I wanna let you guys know, I am planning on moving out of Italy as soon as possible. I have very little money, can't pursue what my prepandemic goals were, don't even have a girlfriend anymore, family is far away anyway, and I'm just tired of being surrounded by retards every single day or waiting for the next punishment or threat by the italian government.
    My destination will be Vlore, Albania.
    As far as I know there is no "green pass", and there are very few restrictions which are not respected anyway. Cost of living is very low, but this goes along with very low salaries, in case I need to find a job. But for now, it seems like one of the few places where I can breathe some fresh air and live kinda normally.
    Anyone of you has any advice or has lived there?
    This is a wild admission. Going back to Skanderbeg, it's always been Albanians fleeing to Italy, which only accelerated after Clinton destroyed the Balkans. I wish you luck.