starting strength gym
Page 1884 of 3003 FirstFirst ... 88413841784183418741882188318841885188618941934198423842884 ... LastLast
Results 18,831 to 18,840 of 30027

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    It all started in grad school. I was auditing the late Dr. Hecht Nielsen's class Neural Computing. Part of it was business-oriented. He required students to read each week's Economist cover-to-cover. It was meant to broaden our minds, to help us design a business model that would fit into the larger economy. He knew a monk on Mt. Athos, and from their conversations, said they faced very similar economic challenges as found in the rest of the world. If the monks couldn't insulate themselves from economics, then neither could we engineers in our ivory towers. I am grateful to him for that, and am sad that the Economist is a socially leftist rag. I don't know when that started. (Dr. Nielsen was a blast. Towering and wide like a football player. Would pop a Diet Rite at the beginning of every class. Was a polymath who had an interest in everything, and many abilities to match.)
    Back in the day they paid some actual money to intelligent authors, but that hasn't been the case since at least 2008. I dropped it in 2010 or so when it got to be 100 percent low level propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    We would have to define "founding stock" Americans in anticausal's statement.
    The founding stock English may behave differently from the founding stock Scots, who behave differently from the founding stock Germans and the founding stock Irish.

I came across an interesting book called, "Sanction" that got scrubbed from the internet a few weeks ago after the author decided to pursue a vigilante justice solution against some of his former business associates. The book had a sizable cult following and was supposedly to be made into a film at some point.

The author was adamant in his assertions that geographical variations in culture (including the urban/rural divide) can ultimately be traced back to the predominant ancestry and genetic characteristics of the local populations. He believed the genetic divide between English stock in the north and Scottish stock in the south was the primary cause of the American Civil War.

Books become much more interesting after they are burned; I will read this one if I ever find a copy.
    Do you mean Sanction by Lyndon Mcleod/Roman Mclay? I found it in 30 seconds. It's been scrubbed from Amazon. It's book 3 that's hard to find because apparently it was never released fully.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    You are talking about cryptocurrencies, I'm talking about Bitcoin.
    Who gave you those info?
    You think no one is transacting in crypto inside of china? Or no one is mining bitcoin?
    That seems unrealistic to me.
    But even if it were true, still not enough to prove you can stop Bitcoin.
    NO one's outlawing Bitcoin, and no one will "turn off" the Internet; sure. But purchasing access to the Internet could be made a lot more difficult for purebloods. I mean, tell a 1990s American that he'll still be able to fly, but with everything we must do now in order to enter the airport and plane, and he'll tell you your prediction that flight won't be outlawed in spite of 9/11 is purely semantic and useless in a practical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    Only the big cities -- particularly SF and LA. The rest of the state is rural, mountain and desert. They are not blue. The divide is not between states but between big cities and everything else.
    My time over here in Russia shows that the same applies within countries, too. Cities lean liberal, and the other areas- traditional. I mean, the Muscovites don't say they want gender-free bathrooms, sure, but that's just cuz they don't realize yet that that's what their policy preferences eventually and necessarily lead to.

The main conundrum is how the more traditional countries like Japan, Poland, and Russia keep their urban kooks from dominating national policies, unlike us. A stronger system of federalism, which Karl over at market ticker says is long lost for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is such absolute bullshit. Unless you are camping in the remote desert, everybody in the United States has immediate access to medical care at any hospital in the country. "Healthcare" may mean something else to Dr. Television -- maybe bariatric surgery or botox -- but no hospital with the facilities to treat an actual medical condition can or will turn away a patient, because they know they will eventually get paid. And it looks bad when the dead pile up in your ER.
    Tony's pointing to access to healthcare appears to be a coordinated PR push given the California bill proposed early January:

"ACA 11, as introduced, Kalra. Taxes to fund health care coverage and cost control."

Links --> California Health Care Tax Proposal | Tax Foundation

Bill Text - ACA-11 Taxes to fund health care coverage and cost control.

There are probably others in other states but CA caught my attention given the top state tax rate moving to > 18%

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    The rest of this discussion is all bullshit. THIS is where things get real.

Quote Originally Posted by gilead View Post
    It seems to me that, at some point, people have to start taking responsibility for their own "health care," which means more that just obeying people who work in the "health care industry."

__________________________________________________ _________________________

German states with a high vaccination rate have the highest excess mortality

Good.

hey Yngvi,
    Who is the author of the book? I saw references to something by a guy named Roman McClay but doesn't look like the book you are taking about.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    The dollar or the euro are no different, it will all go to shit because that's how the system is designed. And that's why the richest people in the world own a lot of things except dollars. They're starting to buy bitcoins too, even though they won't admit it.
    The ship is slowly sinking.
    Bitcoin solves it all. The network just turned 13 years old and no one has been able to stop it yet, and there's been quite a few tries. It keeps growing, improving and working. It's just like the internet, but even more censorship resistant. It'll take some time but as of now it is the only hope out of this suicidal and evil financial system.
    Rich people primarily own 3 things: 1) a business (either theirs or someone else's) 2) real estate 3) life insurance or some cash-heavy asset.

BTC is still way too volatile for a lot of folks. They simply don't want the risk associated with the early-stage price discovery process. MassMutual, for example, insures people's savings from Joe Blow all the way up to Michael Milken's family. Mass has purchased something like $100 million of BTC as a speculative play. Their total portfolio size is hundreds of billions of dollars though. The risk is tiny at that size, and most of their holdings are in the aforementioned 3 things most rich people own. They won't risk people's life savings on something that could tank 50% in a day. And this is line with how *most* intelligent investors think. Essentially all assets, contracts, businesses are priced in dollars. The dollar isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The rest of this discussion is all bullshit. THIS is where things get real.
    Roger. Standing by.

starting strength coach development program
    I remember a while back, Barry asked someone for a synopsis on the chapter from Robert Kennedy Jr.'s book that he recommended everyone read. Unz has a good one in this article. Extracted here for convenience:

Although the author is a liberal Democrat, with deep ideological roots and the strongest of family pedigrees, in today’s topsy-turvy America his only significant mainstream media coverage came from an hour-long interview by Tucker Carlson of FoxNews, who praised him as “one of the bravest and most honest people” he’d ever met. And near the end of that broadcast, listeners were told that if they only read one chapter of the book, the section on American biowarfare was the most important:

That chapter begins with a brief overview of the World War II origins and later growth of those controversial military programs, noting that they were officially abolished by President Richard Nixon in 1969, and afterwards banned by international treaty. But those prohibitions contained a large loophole, allowing the continuing existence of “dual use” biodefense projects, so much of what had been biological warfare development was simply rechristened “vaccine research” and shifted from the Pentagon to the National Institutes of Health.

Kennedy then focuses his attention on Dr. Robert Kadlec, a central figure in the story he tells. From the late 1990s onward, Kadlec had been one of America’s leading advocates of biowarfare, arguing that the technology offered the possibility of launching powerful attacks against the food supply or population of global adversaries while minimizing the risk of direct retaliation. As he wrote in 1998:

Biological weapons under the cover of an endemic or natural disease occurrence provides an attacker the potential for plausible denial. Biological warfare’s potential to create significant economic losses and consequent political instability, coupled with plausible deniability, exceeds the possibilities of any other human weapon.

Over the last few decades, our biowarfare programs have absorbed well over $100 billion in government funding, yet ironically the only known victims have been the American citizens who died in the false flag anthrax attacks that quickly followed 9/11. As Kennedy explains, those deadly bioweapon mailings to leading U.S. Senators and journalists stampeded Congress into passing the controversial Patriot Act and although purportedly from Islamic terrorists, the FBI later determined that the spores had been drawn from our own biowarfare stockpiles, possibility the one at Ft. Detrick. Although I had long been aware of these facts, until reading Kennedy’s book I hadn’t known that Kadlec’s business associates benefited enormously from those mysterious attacks, which panicked the government into rescuing their BioPort corporation from the brink of bankruptcy with huge and lucrative new biodefense contracts.

During the years that followed, Kadlec regularly switched back and forth between senior roles in America’s federal biowarfare programs and in the private corporations that received related contracts, with investigative journalist Whitney Webb providing a very detailed account of his activities. After the Trump Administration came into office, some of its leading elements immediately began mobilizing for a global confrontation against China, and Kadlec was brought back into government in 2017. Then in 2018 and 2019, China’s food supply was severely impacted by mysterious viral epidemics that destroyed much of its poultry industry and 40% of its entire pig herd, by far the largest in the world.

During these years, Kadlec was also heavily involved in a number of different biowarfare drills, intended to help prepare American society for the outbreak of dangerous and mysterious new viruses. In particular, he ran the large-scale “Crimson Contagion” simulation exercise from January to August 2019, in which federal and local authorities practiced a coordinated defense of their communities against risk of infection from the hypothetical outbreak of a dangerous respiratory virus in China; and two months after this major drill ended, a mysterious virus of exactly those characteristics suddenly appeared in the Chinese city of Wuhan.

The chapter also notes the close links between America’s biowarfare establishment and the Wuhan lab, which held the closest genetic match to the Covid virus and also received American funding to undertake the “gain of function” experiments that many experts now believe produced the enhanced virus that created the current pandemic. The author is very careful to avoid including any of the explicit accusations or scenarios that have been the centerpiece of my own series of articles over the past 18 months, but he provides a enormous amount of important information spread across those 65 pages and nearly 300 source references. This conveniently allows thoughtful readers to easily connect the dots.