starting strength gym
Page 1920 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 92014201820187019101918191919201921192219301970202024202920 ... LastLast
Results 19,191 to 19,200 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Currencies ultimately have value because people value them. That's circular reasoning but ultimately true. Fiat based currencies have value because that's the only medium of exchange governments will accept taxes in, taxes which you will go to jail for not paying.
    A most interesting observation. How bout those 60,000 new IRS agents?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Don't worry, I'm sure the local state office will have bread to hand out. Just show your vaccine card and enjoy your free loaf. Exactly as planned.
    Please Seh, mow powij?

(BTW , reading Atlas’s book ‘A Plague Upon Our House.’ Birx seemed to be the hair-trigger ego ringleader, and Pence a very polite compliant man. Birx liked to use arbitrary colorings for case levels. She would take her show to every governor. And lo ‘n behold, Holcomb also communicated to us peasants in color-by-number.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post

Barry,
    You have made me notice and come to realize what a powerful tool PC is. It just stops any type of debate in it's tracks. It's a political trump card for the side that has it on their side.
    It forces many good people no matter how learned or credible they are, to start the argument from a position of weakness and apology. To the extent that even if you question obvious contradictions to all, you are outcasted and considered extreme which closes the debate prematurely.
    Have you or anyone else here thought of any way of overcoming this powerful weopon of silencing opposition?
    Right before COVID, some of us observed that female sports that included transgendered athletes was an obvious contradiction of PC. You can’t treat female athletes fairly (title IX) by allowing genetic males to compete as women. It seemed that this was so obviously paradoxical, that there would be a rethinking of PC. Maybe, maybe not. TBD.

More generally, we (I) have argued that PC is actually a very dangerous idea because fairness can not be achieved by being unfair, regardless of “good” intentions.

One on one, you can make progress and have some fun using the Socratic method. Agree with your opponent and allow them to conclude the flaws in their original claim. (Consider mask wearing).

Large scale, I am at a loss. Unfortunately the mishandling of COVID is truly tragic compared to sports. One mistake we make, perhaps, is to assume that PC and greed are different things.

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events-img_0863-jpg

No kit salad for me tonight.

Several layers of meaning in this image from my world-famous Kroger tonight.

1. Supply chain shortage
    2. Labor shortage
    3. ~ 10 - 15 in. of snow imminent

Not shown is the empty bread aisle. Not of people, of bread.

Soviet style.
    While my local Kroger is fine most of the time with most products*, they've been short workers for years. I finally switched my workouts to the morning, just so I can shop during the slow times of the day. The local post office is much worse, for the last two years, they've been short workers and this last year, so short, the post mistress has been closing the window to make deliveries. Now the window is closed until further notice and the delivery operation is moving to the nearest town.
    *Canned cat food is a critically shortage, which I find an odd item to be the most often empty shelf.

More good news from the US economy: UNEXPECTEDLY: U.S. Lost 301,000 Jobs in January vs. Predicted 200,000 Gained – PJ Media

Payroll firm ADP says the US lost more than 300,000 jobs in January, and omicron is taking the blame.

December’s impressive jobs gains were also revised downwards.

“Unexpectedly” is the code word once again, as Wall Street had predicted the economy would produce 200,000 new jobs instead.

January is the first month since December 2020 that the economy has lost jobs.

Despite White House boasts that 2021 produced more jobs than any other year, we’re still more than 3.5 million jobs shy of where the economy was in February 2020, before the demonstrably useless COVID shutdowns.
    Which prompts the question: how does a seasonal illness equivalent to the common cold become responsible for the loss of 300K jobs?

And then there's this: White House urges Spotify to take further action on Joe Rogan: ‘More can be done’ | The Independent

“Ultimately our view is that it’s a good step, it’s a positive step, but there’s more that can be done,” said the press secretary.
    "More" that can be done. I suppose there is. But seriously, has there ever been an intentionally shittier first year for a presidential administration in American history?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Right before COVID, some of us observed that female sports that included transgendered athletes was an obvious contradiction of PC. You can’t treat female athletes fairly (title IX) by allowing genetic males to compete as women. It seemed that this was so obviously paradoxical, that there would be a rethinking of PC. Maybe, maybe not. TBD.

More generally, we (I) have argued that PC is actually a very dangerous idea because fairness can not be achieved by being unfair, regardless of “good” intentions.

One on one, you can make progress and have some fun using the Socratic method. Agree with your opponent and allow them to conclude the flaws in their original claim. (Consider mask wearing).

Large scale, I am at a loss. Unfortunately the mishandling of COVID is truly tragic compared to sports. One mistake we make, perhaps, is to assume that PC and greed are different things.
    Usually, if you dig hard enough, you can connect the dots to a motivation/incentive that isn't tied to philosophy or "politics".

Let's take Neil "rockin in the free world" Young: Connect the dots?

I'm not going to verify that meme, but let's just use it as a possible example of positive incentives that exist in the wild. This is how the humans operate...and there are both negative and positive incentives that create this screwed up world based on control.

Barry, I agree with you that PC (and left/right, urban/rural, national security, and now "science") are all tools used to justify bizarre, damaging decisions to the useful idiots (we the people). The true reason for the decision is very likely based on this control grid.

If you can agree there is a "control grid" influencing our leaders (corporate, NGOs, International/federal/state/local), etc), then you and I are finally on a same page. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Unfortunately the mishandling of COVID is truly tragic compared to sports. One mistake we make, perhaps, is to assume that PC and greed are different things.
    There has been no mishandling of Covid, it was handled very efficiently, many people were murdered, many businesses driven to ground, a lot of money stolen, a lot of control gained. This is fairly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    “Ultimately our view is that it’s a good step, it’s a positive step, but there’s more that can be done,” said the press secretary.
    Joe Rogan was a fool to offer anything even resembling an apology. Either that, or he's just another effigy erected for the sole purpose of being torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    More good news from the US economy: UNEXPECTEDLY: U.S. Lost 301,000 Jobs in January vs. Predicted 200,000 Gained – PJ Media

Which prompts the question: how does a seasonal illness equivalent to the common cold become responsible for the loss of 300K jobs?

And then there's this: White House urges Spotify to take further action on Joe Rogan: ‘More can be done’ | The Independent

"More" that can be done. I suppose there is. But seriously, has there ever been an intentionally shittier first year for a presidential administration in American history?
    Coach, you may have spelled "American" incorrectly. Seems to be missing the c, h, i, n, and a?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Joe Rogan was a fool to offer anything even resembling an apology. Either that, or he's just another effigy erected for the sole purpose of being torn down.
    Malice, next time he's on, won't let him get away with it.