starting strength gym
Page 1998 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 99814981898194819881996199719981999200020082048209824982998 ... LastLast
Results 19,971 to 19,980 of 30193

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    From Jason Bassler:
    COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

Now I am convinced. With sanctions like these Russia doesn't stand a chance!
    Russian Cats Slapped With Sanctions - GreatGameIndia

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I’m totally amazed at the pro Putin sentiment the man is a vicious sociopath that murders anyone in his path. That’s fact not my opinion, and a modicum of research on anyones part would enlighten the doubters.
    How many civilians has the US government killed? An answer rounded to the nearest million is acceptable.

It's like you guys are reading a script. My own fucking government came within inches of wanting to murder me in its vaccinate-everyone-alive path. They clearly wanted me out of a job and destitute for not submitting to their medical tyranny. There is only one more step from there to genocide.

Look at what they've done to the January 6th prisoners. Solid middle class people thrown in a dungeon for walking through a door and taking a tour of a building they should have been allowed to enter at any time. Some of them already driven to suicide. Did Putin do that, too? And there is barely a peep about it from Republican politicians because they don't give a flying fuck about your death or imprisonment, as long as they believe defending you might threaten their power.

Why should I care about Putin's dead political enemies? They decided to play the game, they lost, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a good chunk of them are better off dead. That is how the game is played everywhere, but you're only allowed to say it about certain players. When it's Western politicians obviously doing it, it's "conspiracy theory". The naivety from you guys is astounding. You really think history stopped in the country you were born in, and everyone with power over you is a really nice guy who willingly plays with kiddie gloves. The only reason you can see Putin is a shark is because you're allowed to. Grow the fuck up. They're all sharks at best, and psychopathic demons at worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I’m totally amazed at the pro Putin sentiment the man is a vicious sociopath that murders anyone in his path. That’s fact not my opinion, and a modicum of research on anyones part would enlighten the doubters.

Forget the government of Ukraine every government is corrupt including ours.

That’s no excuse for murdering the civilians that happen to live under that government.

The idea Ukraine isn’t a country or is going to attack Russia is also ridiculous.

I found the Covid information on this thread informative and useful ( and another perfect example of very corrupt governments) and appreciate your efforts.

But this excusing Putin is sick.
    If you think what our corrupt governments have done for the past two years is not equal to killing people, you live in a fantasy.
    Again, people make the mistake of making a distinction between evil and lesser evil, as if that was useful in any way.
    It goes like this:"My government is corrupt, but at least it's not killing us, or other people, in plain daylight. All we need is to fix the corruption, but that other government is just plain crazy."

Except, your government is and has been killing people for decades, all over the world.
    There is NO difference. The State is the issue. The banking and financial system we live in is the issue. Everything else is pretty much equal to gossip. People talking about "Russia", or any other country, as if it was an actual thing that exists. This huge piece of land with millions of individuals in it, is supposed to be this entity that has a personality?
    There are rulers and ruled. That is it. They both exist only because of mass delusion, hypnosis and violence.

So I really cannot understand all the geopolitical language like "Russia did this, Ukraine wants that". It makes it confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    Now I am convinced. With sanctions like these Russia doesn't stand a chance!
    Russian Cats Slapped With Sanctions - GreatGameIndia
    The fact that in the western world you see so many memes about the war, is terryfing to me. Young people on social media, and real life, are not taking seriously the prospect of a World War. Has this happened in the past in some other form? I am pretty sure at this point that memes are also a manipulation of public opinion and impression. Someone is making these up so people are distracted laughing at memes to not face the raw reality of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I agree with Rip; this is damned good, IPB.

Those without a culture are the first to decry those that have one.
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    If you think what our corrupt governments have done for the past two years is not equal to killing people, you live in a fantasy.
    Again, people make the mistake of making a distinction between evil and lesser evil, as if that was useful in any way.
    It goes like this:"My government is corrupt, but at least it's not killing us, or other people, in plain daylight. All we need is to fix the corruption, but that other government is just plain crazy."

Except, your government is and has been killing people for decades, all over the world.
    There is NO difference. The State is the issue. The banking and financial system we live in is the issue. Everything else is pretty much equal to gossip. People talking about "Russia", or any other country, as if it was an actual thing that exists. This huge piece of land with millions of individuals in it, is supposed to be this entity that has a personality?
    There are rulers and ruled. That is it. They both exist only because of mass delusion, hypnosis and violence.

So I really cannot understand all the geopolitical language like "Russia did this, Ukraine wants that". It makes it confusing.

The fact that in the western world you see so many memes about the war, is terryfing to me. Young people on social media, and real life, are not taking seriously the prospect of a World War. Has this happened in the past in some other form? I am pretty sure at this point that memes are also a manipulation of public opinion and impression. Someone is making these up so people are distracted laughing at memes to not face the raw reality of the situation.
    There have been several excellent posts recently. This is one of them, as well as anti and Rip's, and of course IPB; thank you for sharing.

It seems to me the time for asking questions and maintaining open dialogue is stronger now than ever, maybe even in the history of the world.

The government and state media have proven they will do or say anything to advance and protect their narrative. I don't believe anything they say, and haven't for many years, but it's clearly completely out of control now, and We The People are the target.

Asking questions is the backbone of the Scientific Method, and dialogue is how we humans communicate and sort things out as best we can.

Keep asking questions. When the questions aren't allowed, you have found the enemy.

These fucking twits didn't give a solitary shit about Ukraine at Christmas time, let alone since 2014. In the West, we shouldn't be worried about a Russia problem for now, but we should definitely be worried about a corporate media problem and a mental health problem.

IPB, that was great, man.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAmaro View Post
    I already gave you your answer. Did it occur to you that the reason I responded the way I did was because I knew you were making an attempt at grandstanding?
    It reads like you have me confused with the person that posted the original question. I was just following up to see if you would actually substantiate your assertions, or at least explain your viewpoint. I'm genuinely curious and open to hearing good reasoning.

Here is why I care about the conflict. First, it is completely hypocritical for anyone to claim they are against tyranny and support Putin. Putin is tyranny and that goes far beyond the current conflict.
    I don't know that anyone wrote that they "support Putin"; at best I saw people state that they can understand his reasoning for his actions (this of course contrary to what Western media has been feeding it's citizens). Not calling Putin a "tyrant" does not imply one supports him.

But in regards to the current conflict I remember that last time a fella kept taking over territories in Europe and conducted large scale genocide.
    Is this a real threat, and if so, how do you know that? Saying that some other "fella" did the same and "look what happened" is not enough to make decisions off of. Putin's motivations may be much different than the other "fella".

What about those people that wanted to tear down statues in the US back in 2020? That's what the Marxists did before they tried taking over the world, committing genocide, etc. Were you belligerent enough to get after those people too?

What makes this even worse today is the current madman is literally threatening the use of nuclear weapons against those who oppose him. That concerns me,
    Perhaps this "madman" is just playing a game of poker, common in negotiations? If his enemies see him as a madman (and in reality he's just putting on an act), wouldn't that give him some leverage? It's clearly worked on you.

as I said previously, I am not asking you to care. If you don't, please go about your day as I don't care to convince you.
    I suspect you don't care to "convince" because you can't really make solid arguments.

Russia attacked Ukraine unprovoked.
    Like you did to people here when you posted on this thread? :-)

What childhood trauma would you perceive to be worse, having your child endure wearing a mask in school, or having their fucking home exploded and family being displaced or dead? Is the tyranny of wearing a mask worse then the tyranny of genocide? Also, yes, that was rhetorical.
    You didn't have the guts to stand up for the freedom of your own children, yet you are going to cry for the children of Ukraine.... that are thousands of miles away in another country where you bear no risk to stand up for? Hmmm.....think about this.

What happens if Russia/Putin follow through with their threat to start using nuclear weapons? Will you care? What happens if one of those nuclear weapons is used to attack your country?
    We better get after North Korea then, too. Also, China. Damn, there's also Iran. Do we really trust Israel? Those Indians don't seem very loyal. We better go after all of the threats, right? Wait..... isn't this what Putin is doing??

Will you care and if so, will you people still be supporting Putin?
    I never stated that I support Putin, and I'm not sure anyone else here who is questioning this Ukraine narrative has either. You're pretty good at making loaded questions, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post

It is not only useful, it is how the universe works. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Calling someone a madman seems to me a very poor tool to examine a complex situation, although it's very convenient, it removes the need to think beyond stereotypes. For a very long time, Russia has repeatedly and consistently made clear what its demands were; as in, which issues Russia considered to be of existential importance.
    First: security
    Second: protection for Russian minorities.

In the last 30 years, both these demands have been ignored by the West; Russia's security has been undermined by NATO expansion towards the East, and Russian minorities have seen their status eroded in places like the Baltic republics and, of tragically so, in Ukraine.

Faced with increasing threats to its own existence, as clearly signaled and defined, Russia had two choices: one of them was to fade from history and become a nation whose destiny is not in its hands. They chose the other. Any other nation with a clearly defined sense of self would have done the same; I would say, should have done the same.

Russia's actions seem inexplicable only to those who can't admit that a nation can have a very strong sense of its own identity, and a very clear determination to preserve it. Especially in EU countries, which have since long ago ceded sovereignty and control to supranational bodies, the idea that a nation could have clearly defined existential red lines is difficult to grasp, let alone approve of.
    Putin clear warnings and Russia's obvious and reasonable demands were ignored because, for a lot of people, a nation allowing its own sense of self and its own identity to be eroded is now the normal state of affairs. Simply, they could not believe that a nation would actually be willing to fight over some perceived (and clearly signaled) existential threat.

So, what these people are left with now, to try to make sense of the situation, is to resort to easy to understand categories, like madness.
    IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Post of the week, IPB. Contact Bre for your T-shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I agree with Rip; this is damned good, IPB.

Those without a culture are the first to decry those that have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Jackson View Post
    These fucking twits didn't give a solitary shit about Ukraine at Christmas time, let alone since 2014. In the West, we shouldn't be worried about a Russia problem for now, but we should definitely be worried about a corporate media problem and a mental health problem.

IPB, that was great, man.
    After reading the initial post I am going to say my perspective has changed a bit and I have been arguing from some part of naivety. However, I am going to need some clarification here. You appear to be arguing for ethnic cleansing as a justification of Putin’s war. You literally stated that Russian minorities must fight to preserve themselves from outsiders. This is the same justification that Hitler used to invade other countries. You may recognize him as “the other fella in Europe” who was mentioned in my previous post. I thought this was something that was mutually agreed upon as a terrible blight in human history, but here we are. I guess you can order that free T-shirt in the size of white nationalist.

Also, yes, around Christmas I was not thinking of Ukraine as they were going about their boring, normal everyday lives which I’m sure they would prefer to get back to doing. I will also admit that I was not thinking about the Twin Towers and not knowing who Osama Bin Laden was on 9/11/2001. In fact, previously that was just another random date in September to me with no significance whatsoever.

starting strength coach development program
    That's right Satch, and thank you IPB for the insightful piece. Now apply this thinking not just to muh Russia, but to the myriad social defects in our culture, and you'll find that stereotyping and name-calling are the ONLY way these issues become features of our society. Since when, and why, did we become so afraid of being labeled BAD? Guess we really are herd creatures dressed up with larger craniums to make it seem we're capable of analytical, future-oriented thinking.