starting strength gym
Page 2036 of 3023 FirstFirst ... 10361536193619862026203420352036203720382046208621362536 ... LastLast
Results 20,351 to 20,360 of 30229

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

This is what happens when silly bullshit becomes confused with reality: Sri Lanka's Organic Farming Experiment Went Catastrophically Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    I wonder if these "I'm doing it for the poor schmuk in the foxhole" sentiments would have been expressed had he gone to fight with Russian soldiers.
    I was wondering who would reduce this to a helping Hitler hypothetical.

Rather than contemplating all the possible things that aren’t happening, don’t you tell us how you think about what he is actually planning on doing? Are you capable of having an original opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    I was wondering who would reduce this to a helping Hitler hypothetical.

Rather than contemplating all the possible things that aren’t happening, don’t you tell us how you think about what he is actually planning on doing? Are you capable of having an original opinion?
    Hitler? Instead of being cryptic, could you please explain what you don't like about anticausal's post?

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Ray Dalio has been doing decent work. I don’t agree with all of his points, but he seems to be on a good trail. He is a bad speaker though, his writing is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hitler? Instead of being cryptic, could you please explain what you don't like about anticausal's post?
    What I don’t like is that his response is a straw-man argument. Others , yourself included, expressed a clear opinion . We were not all in agreement, but we were discussing what the guy actually proposed to do.

Further, it is often a logical fallacy to invalidate an argument by using a different scenario as an example. When this line of arguing eventually gets to “therefore you support Hitler” it is known as reductio ad Hitlerum.

Reductio ad Hitlerum - Wikipedia

While anticasual did not get there, that was the direction he was going. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is what happens when silly bullshit becomes confused with reality: Sri Lanka's Organic Farming Experiment Went Catastrophically Wrong
    Why renewables can?t save the planet | Michael Shellenberger | TEDxDanubia - YouTube
    YouTube Description:
    Environmentalists have long promoted renewable energy sources like solar panels and wind farms to save the climate. But What about when those technologies destroy the environment and it's wild life? In this provocative talk, Time Magazine "Hero of the Environment" and energy expert, Michael Shellenberger explains why solar and wind farms require so much land for mining and energy production, and an alternative path to saving both the climate and the natural environment. Michael Shellenberger is a Time Magazine Hero of the Environment and President of Environmental Progress, a research and policy organization. A lifelong environmentalist, Michael changed his mind about nuclear energy and has helped save enough nuclear reactors to prevent an increase in carbon emissions equivalent to adding more than 10 million cars to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    What I don’t like is that his response is a straw-man argument. Others , yourself included, expressed a clear opinion . We were not all in agreement, but we were discussing what the guy actually proposed to do.

Further, it is often a logical fallacy to invalidate an argument by using a different scenario as an example. When this line of arguing eventually gets to “therefore you support Hitler” it is known as reductio ad Hitlerum.

Reductio ad Hitlerum - Wikipedia

While anticasual did not get there, that was the direction he was going. In my opinion.

I think this is a pretty accurate summary of the situation: He agrees with the Western propaganda, and he's going over there to fight for something he thinks is worth dying for. He's obviously not going just to help the poor schmuk next to him as you suggested. That's just stupid, which is what my reverse scenario was intended to illustrate.

I made no argument about whether what he was doing was right or wrong in that specific reply. My only target was the little nugget of "I fight for the guy next to me" propaganda which has been exploited so much since 9/11. It's basically an admission that what you're fighting for is bullshit, while still trying to maintain a fighting spirit in the soldier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    If things continue to proceed as now, it is unlikely that the UN and WHO will even exist in 2024
    You could be right.

"Geopolitically we live in what is called a multipolar world. EU Power politician Guy Verhofstadt coined it perfectly in 2009 when he called it an age of empires. On Sept 16, 2019, he stated again that “the world order of tomorrow is not a world based on nation states or countries. It’s a world order that is based on empires.” In his speech he references the US and Russia as empires and that the only way that Europe will be able to defend its interests is by doing it together, in other words within the EU empire." Erika Grey