starting strength gym
Page 2055 of 3019 FirstFirst ... 10551555195520052045205320542055205620572065210521552555 ... LastLast
Results 20,541 to 20,550 of 30189

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't think anyone here is a fan of Putin. I believe we understand that if you push NATO expansion when you signed a treaty that you wouldn't, you get what you deserve when you set up a puppet government in the Ukraine by rigging an election promoting NATO expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    The rules-based international order only exists if you believe in it. Certainly the United States and the UK (and the entire "coalition of the willing" from that era) only believe in it when it serves their ends.
    Troubled Ideas: A Nuremberg Tribunal for Putin

Worth reading in its entirety, but a snippet:

"Had these people consulted their history on this troubled subject, they would be aware that the tyrant-in-the-dock motif is a precarious one. The original suggestion of a tribunal to try leaders for war crimes, specifically Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm II, was opposed by President Woodrow Wilson for one fundamental reason: US presidents might find themselves facing a prosecutor’s brief at some point in the future. The motive was selfish but at least showed an awareness that such a course of action risked having a boomerang effect.

The issue did not go away during the Second World War. As discussions about a proposed war crimes process at war’s end began to take place, George Orwell penned a characteristically devastating and clear-eyed piece on its weaknesses in an October 1943 issue of the Tribune. In reviewing a work advocating Benito Mussolini’s trial, Orwell was firm. “In power politics there are no crimes, because there are no laws.”"

Horowitz: 5 ways DOD’s recalibrated health surveillance data looks like a fraudulent attempt to cover vaccine injury - TheBlaze

This is fucking ridiculous!
    Australian Rugby player collapses with cardiac event… – CITIZEN FREE PRESS

I have found this guy pretty interesting as if late
    Breaking: Russia Says It Will Take Gold AND Bitcoin For Nat Gas - YouTube

84 percent rise in deaths in the Millennials according to Professor Jessica Rose. Which probably could be attributed to the vaccine if using Bradford Hills rules for causation.
    Episode 260: WINNERS, SINNERS, & THE DEATH OF A GENERATION

Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Putin is a repeat offender and will likely continue to be a repeat offender until... when is his term up? 2024? And because his prior terms have been "reset" in 2021, he is now eligible to be president until 2036?
    Yeah, that's a reasonable conclusion. Although after Georgia, Crimea, and whatever comes of the present Ukraine situation, I struggle to imagine which domino will fall next. I doubt very much Russia will choose to initiate hostilities against a NATO country. Or a country like Finland without a big Russian minority.

Each time, the question is going to be whether opposing Russia's move is in each western country's national interest. In 2022 my opinion is that "defending freedom" doesn't constitute a strong US national interest. If there are other interests at stake here they aren't clear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post

"Had these people consulted their history on this troubled subject, they would be aware that the tyrant-in-the-dock motif is a precarious one. The original suggestion of a tribunal to try leaders for war crimes, specifically Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm II, was opposed by President Woodrow Wilson for one fundamental reason: US presidents might find themselves facing a prosecutor’s brief at some point in the future. The motive was selfish but at least showed an awareness that such a course of action risked having a boomerang effect.

The issue did not go away during the Second World War. As discussions about a proposed war crimes process at war’s end began to take place, George Orwell penned a characteristically devastating and clear-eyed piece on its weaknesses in an October 1943 issue of the Tribune. In reviewing a work advocating Benito Mussolini’s trial, Orwell was firm. “In power politics there are no crimes, because there are no laws.”"
    Thanks! I read the whole thing - great perspective all around. It was a great point that national leaders who ultimately face trial only really arrive as a result of true defeat - I think Vladimir will start launching the rockets before British tanks reach the Kremlin. Unless there's some kind of coup, I guess.

I think in the idealistic 90s and in the GWOT madness of the 2000s we forgot that there are multiple perspectives on what the international order should look like, and in the end power still flows from the barrel of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post

But that was the whole gag with the Nuremberg theatre; the "tyrant" never shows up in the docks or before the tribunal. The point is to make a big show, inflate the guilt of second and third tier actors, and let the connected face men go away. It's precisely what happened after WWII. Do you think that any of the really important Germans saw anything other than a mountain retreat in Argentina or a cushy government job in the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by conradbc View Post
    I don't think anyone here is a fan of Putin. I believe we understand that if you push NATO expansion when you signed a treaty that you wouldn't, you get what you deserve when you set up a puppet government in the Ukraine by rigging an election promoting NATO expansion.
    Just by way of clarity. Bush's Sec of State, James Baker, initially gave these assurances, but they never ended up in the signed treaty. Baker said in a 2014 interview, "“The bottom line is, that’s a ridiculous argument. It is true that in the initial stages of negotiations I said ‘what if’ and then Gorbachev himself supported a solution that extended the border that included the German Democratic Republic within NATO. Since the Russians signed that treaty, how can they rely on something I said a month or so before? It just doesn’t make sense.”

As the great Ronald Reagan once said "Trust, but verify."

Quote Originally Posted by conradbc View Post
    You say you're not a fan of Putin, yet you use his lines of propaganda in your argument. There has never been a treaty regarding NATO expansion, and if the Ukraine government was truly a puppet government unrepresentative of the Ukrainian people, I doubt you would see this kind of resistance.

Out of curiosity, when you say "we", who are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    Not really. It was his decision. He likes the money, and he rolled the dice.

You say you're not a fan of Putin, yet you use his lines of propaganda in your argument. There has never been a treaty regarding NATO expansion, and if the Ukraine government was truly a puppet government unrepresentative of the Ukrainian people, I doubt you would see this kind of resistance.

Out of curiosity, when you say "we", who are you talking about?
    What kind of resistance? And you know this ... how? You saw it on television? Do you really believe, as you seem to, that Putin is the only bad guy here?

starting strength coach development program
    and if the Ukraine government was truly a puppet government unrepresentative of the Ukrainian people, I doubt you would see this kind of resistance.
    Come on man, get real.