starting strength gym
Page 2127 of 3004 FirstFirst ... 11271627202720772117212521262127212821292137217722272627 ... LastLast
Results 21,261 to 21,270 of 30035

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainame View Post
    Here is a question for you Mark.
    I appreciate I am not the intended recipient of this question, but let me be unpolite and answer it anyway.
    I think the credibility of a news source is a bit like the correctness of a scientific theory (I said 'a bit', I'll hope you'll cut me some slack). Theories cannot be proven right; they can be disproved though, and that's the best you can do.
    Likewise, it's pretty difficult to say a news source is trustworthy; but it's very easy to see if one is not.

In particular, it is sufficient to compare what the news source says with official documents, with prime sources, which they usually refer to. I'll give you an example.

A couple of years ago, Italy was gripped by a debate about the ESM (European Stability Mechanism); in particular, discussions raged about whether the reform would still imply that any ESM intervention would entail conditionality on the country that needed it.
    Lots of mainstream sources claimed it was not the case, arguing their case with a very lose interpretation of statements offered by various officials during press conferences. But anyone who looked up and read the official documents, or simply the European Treaty of the Functioning of the European Union, could see, in black and white, on paper, that conditionality had not (and could not) be removed.

A simple check was enough to reveal all those mainstream sources as false, and not worthy of trust on the subject.

You repeat this process, and with time you build a list of non-trustworthy sources, which you are probably not gong to waste your time on; once a liar, always a liar is a good principle, already stated back in Roman times.

Alternative sources are mostly crap; but a lot of them might contain links to original sources, or documents, and this makes them valuable, because links to documents of this type are usually very hard to come by in mainstream media. This is precious, and allows the interested reader to access prima-facie, non-filtered information. Which is why even crap alternative sources are worth posting.

This is all my 2c of course.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Airlines Offering Refunds To Passengers Concerned About Flying With Unmasked Travelers

They are coddling the insane. But why? It doesn't benefit the companies at all, unless they're doing it to qualify for some kind of government funding.
    It is the same reason why no bureaucrat can act in any way outside of the bureaucracy; they fear the liability in a legal setting. It's so squishy, they don't want to set the legal precedence if someone "gets sick" to tie it to airline travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    "According to "a model"". This is literally all they have left to justify their spew. In truth, it's all they really had from the beginning. But that's history now. Let's see how this scientologist fares when/if twitters algos become more transparent.
    Unvaccinated People Increase Risk Of Covid Infection Among Vaccinated, Study Finds
    Unvaccinated people pose a “disproportionate” risk of Covid-19 infection to vaccinated people, according to the peer reviewed study from University of Toronto researchers, which examined the interactions between unvaccinated and vaccinated groups using a computer model.

The model simulated the spread of Covid-19 under a variety of different parameters and mixing between unvaccinated and vaccinated people, including vaccine effectiveness and uptake, baseline levels of immunity among the unvaccinated and the rate of recovery from infection.

The model revealed a “markedly higher” risk of infection in all scenarios where unvaccinated and vaccinated people mixed, even the ones where immunization rates were high.

The findings counter the common argument that the decision to get vaccinated is a personal one, the researchers said, as the unvaccinated are ”likely to affect the health and safety of vaccinated people in a manner disproportionate to the fraction of unvaccinated people in the population.”
    This is The Science to these fools. It's not a "study" -- they made up a model that generated the conclusion it was designed to produce, and then they "studied" it, arrived at "findings", and then it was submitted for peer-review to a third-tier journal, and amazingly enough was published. Now it's "in the Literature" and "evidence-based practitioners" can cite it as proof of The Science, and the public reads about it in the state media and thinks they're informed. See how this works? Same way it always has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is The Science to these fools. It's not a "study" -- they made up a model that generated the conclusion it was designed to produce, and then they "studied" it, arrived at "findings", and then it was submitted for peer-review to a third-tier journal, and amazingly enough was published. Now it's "in the Literature" and "evidence-based practitioners" can cite it as proof of The Science, and the public reads about it in the state media and thinks they're informed. See how this works? Same way it always has.
    And then policy is made based on this toilet paper. It's this type of rubbish that will be cited as proof and justification for their wet dreams of shipping the biohazard selfish unvaxed to "quarantine camps".

IMG_20220426_222918_676.jpg

And here is a little more from twilight zone Toronto. Kinda interesting how they used very similar tactics on their own citizenry. I suppose we are all cattle in their eyes anyway.
    But more seriously. When a society becomes so detached from basic grounding in reality. Literally atrocities can be committed on a scale of untold proportions. Canada is on a seriously dangerous slippery slope.
    Zoo Claims Animals Receiving COVID Vaccine of Their Own Free Will: 'These Are Voluntary Inoculations'

-----------
    And now we have this evil sack of shit executing his orders. I wonder if he has treated a covid patient since the November 19 senate hearing when senator Ron Johnson asked him if he has treated a covid patient. Jha answered him that he has not.
    Prelude to a One-World Government: Implementing Global Measures at a Local Level

As they say...All models are wrong, but some are useful.
    This isn't one of those.

"According to "a model"". This is literally all they have left
    "No phoenix is likely to arise out of the ashes of a misguided mathematical model"

(Sunetra Gupta - https://www.nature.com/articles/35088152.pdf)

A beautiful quote from a short, beautiful article on how we can sometimes put too much faith in models.
    An article written in August 2001.

IPB

France:
    Due to France's gay republican ideology, we don't know the racial demographics of France, but we do know its religion. From these figures, it's about 20-20% non-white (much higher than Britain). Among the young (with immigration and the breeding rate) it's obviously higher. Le Pen got 7% of the Muslim vote in the first round, and the far left candidate Mélenchon came third (narrowly - by ~500,000 votes) got 70% of the Muslim vote. I'm not sure what % of French citizens are non-white Muslim, but let's say 20% or 30%, and let's assume it would be higher among the young, 18-24 bracket... but that being said, let's assume a very high percentage (over half) of the young, white French are voting for Le Pen. That is weirdly inconsistent with the the idea that Generation X are all rabidly left wing, and interesting for the future of European politics.

As annoying as it probably is for me to continuously devolve Current Events back to the most bedrock layers of abstraction, this is why I do such things. Work your way back to the beginning, and then carefully work your way forward with questions.

Example: if all hydrocarbon fuels are formed over millions of years of entrapping organic material in the Earth's crust, why do we assume reintroducing these entrapped carbon atoms into the atmosphere will do anything but add it back into the biological carbon cycle? Do "the models" account for this? If it was all available previously, why was there no "runaway" warming when the atmosphere was 1800-3000 ppm CO2?

I'm not being pithy or smarmy. They're legitimate questions, and from my layman understanding it looks like there would be a massive greening effect. That's it -- more living things.

Never believe a model.

Western media needs the kind of purge that would make Evil Thug Putin look like Mr. Rogers.

And here is a little more from twilight zone Toronto. Kinda interesting how they used very similar tactics on their own citizenry. I suppose we are all cattle in their eyes anyway.
    But more seriously. When a society becomes so detached from basic grounding in reality. Literally atrocities can be committed on a scale of untold proportions. Canada is on a seriously dangerous slippery slope.
    Zoo Claims Animals Receiving COVID Vaccine of Their Own Free Will: 'These Are Voluntary Inoculations'
    "I didn't kill anyone, your honor. He died of his own free will when he came within the range of my rifle."